DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Do people really still wonder who killed Asmodean? Isn't this the answer?

DocBean

I keep seeing people posting things like "When we find out who really killed Asmodean, then it will seem obvious."

and other quotes like that. So I thought I'd post this to clear things up.

Brandon Sanderson and Harriet said that the full description of exactly how Asmodean was killed has already been posted.

they said they don't remember who did it, but it was very thorough, and that you can figure out who the killer is by focusing on the location of the kill.

Brandon said he'd probably throw in a bit in the final books that should clear things up.

Graendal saying "the other 7 living forsaken."  in tGS, is probably what he was talking about. Especially since he said the location in which of the 3 books won't change.

since we know what becomes of her in tGS, it's safe to say he know he would have to reveal it in the first of the three books.

Here's how it went down for those that are still wondering.

It is early morning. Rand is chasing Rahvin down this hallway:

|    |                                          ____     

| 1 |                                          |      |___________

__|    |________/____________|      |   

2          8            3,7        \  4 \  5,6

_____________________*_____/    /   

|    |____________

|___|   

1. Walking down a hall, he runs into Queen's Guards led by a Fade and freezes them.

2. He turns a corner and runs into a couple of servants. This is odd since, the next morning, Rand notes that the servants all ran away and have not returned.

3. He walks down the hall a little further and ducks balefire. He blows open the doors in front of him and

4. enters a sitting room. He passes through the sitting room and

5. enters a courtyard with a fountain. He detects traces of the gateway Rahvin used and follows him into Tel'aran'rhiod.

6. That afternoon, Asmodean is sitting by a fountain in a courtyard. He goes looking for wine and

7. passes a wall with balefire damage.

8. On down the hall, looking for the pantry, he opens a small door and gets nuked.

The key to the location is that 3 and 7 are the same place. The balefire was only used once before Rahvin and Rand entered Tel'aran'rhiod, so the damage noted by Asmodean must be the same as the first balefire attack on Rand. This being the case, the courtyard with the fountain that Rand entered must be the same as the one Asmodean sat in just before he died. Now note the proximity of 2 and 8. Asmodean was killed a short distance from the place Rand found those two servants.

Conclusion: One or both of the servants killed Asmodean. Obviously, they were more than servants. One or two of the Forsaken stopped by to watch the fun in disguise. After the fight, they hid in a convenient cubbyhole to wait for the dust to clear. Asmodean walked into their hiding place and had to pay. Why wait around for hours? Enough One Power to open a gateway would be detected by Rand and/or Aviendha with unpleasant consequences. Better to wait until late at night when everyone is asleep.

Who were the two servants?:

We know that Sammael, Graendal, Lanfear, and Rahvin were consorting and plotting for some time. The Royal Palace palace was one of their meeting places. Most of the action in TFoH stems from their plans. Their basic plan was to goad Rand into chasing Sammael. When Rand attacked, the other three were to be waiting, linked, and take him out. The last we see, TFoH,Ch34, Sammael was trying to renege on his role, but we do not see the conclusion of the meeting. Lanfear got thrown into Finland, and then the Forsaken found out that Rand was coming after Rahvin instead of Sammael, so he ended up being the pawn.

Sucks for him because Sammael and Greandal didn't do their part, they let Rand finish him, not thinking that Rand would whip out the Balefire. So they sat back and hoped Rand and company would get the heck out of there.

I believe this is the theory that Brandon has said he's seen online; especially since he stated location being so important a couple of times.

There is one major problem with that theory. RJ has already stated elsewhere that the servants seen are completely unrelated to Asmodeans death.

There are many many theories on the net, alot of them really well written. They could have been referencing anything. Heck, I saw a decently written theory that Bashere was the one who did it, and we know that isnt true.

I think there is already a structured "Who Killed Asmo" thread somewhere... so this might get locked...

Anyway, good way of explaining it all.  I do think this is likely the right answer, but didn't RJ say they were just servants?

Can't remember for sure if he answered the question about those servants or not.

If so, then I'm still with the "Lanfear dunnit" theory.

EDIT (Duskfire confirmed--RJ said the servants weren't important).  Does anyone have a link for this?

I think there is already a structured "Who Killed Asmo" thread somewhere... so this might get locked...

Anyway, good way of explaining it all.  I do think this is likely the right answer, but didn't RJ say they were just servants?

Can't remember for sure if he answered the question about those servants or not.

If so, then I'm still with the "Lanfear dunnit" theory.

EDIT (Duskfire confirmed--RJ said the servants weren't important).  Does anyone have a link for this?

Dara asked about some significant traits of the palace servants right before Asmodean was "taken". RJ replied that the servants were just servants and were in no way connected to the murder.

SO I guess its not 100% official, as its not a transcript or anything. But its good enough  :P

Archived