DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mats Dice

Duskfire

The argument against it however is that none of the heroes at Falme seemed to really give a crap about Mat, except for him being the Hornsounder. Birgitte however seems to be quite impressed with him, but that could be because she actually sees the value in him.

Did Hawkwing not call Matt battlelord when the HOTH appeared at Falme asking him to sound the horn and lead them into battle? I always thought that showed that Matt was reborn because he hasn't been through the door  yet and had no idea about battles.

Did Hawkwing not call Matt battlelord when the HOTH appeared at Falme asking him to sound the horn and lead them into battle? I always thought that showed that Matt was reborn because he hasn't been through the door  yet and had no idea about battles.

Not quite. He calls Mat (one t) 'trumpeter'.

The argument against it however is that none of the heroes at Falme seemed to really give a crap about Mat, except for him being the Hornsounder. Birgitte however seems to be quite impressed with him, but that could be because she actually sees the value in him.

Just because he might not have been a super general in other lives doesn't mean he wasn't meant for great things in them.

i think the dice are a representation of his taveren. they are the strings of fate tied to his decisions. he never knows the outcome of the choice just that one has been made. CoT page 129

"there was no reason for the dice, but there never was a bloody reason he could see until it was too late. whatever was coming might lie days in the future or only an hour, but he had never been able to figure it out ahead of time. the only certainties were that something important- or dire- was going to happen and that he would not be able to avoid it."

its like his tugging of the pattern when the dice stop. his choice was made and the pattern weaves from it what will occur. like dropping a stone in water creating ripples.

and Perrin does have a similar effect. when he makes important decisions he has the blacksmiths puzzle with pieces falling into place.

Taveren is more than just luck, and people saying things they might not have. its the pattern pulling them to where they are needed and on the other hand them altering the pattern around them. Mat is stronger than Hawkwing as a taveren. Rand is even stronger he alters the fate of a whole city while he dwells within it.

• 7 years later...
On 6/15/2010 at 2:24 PM, Cirin said:

Well, there is fairly strong evidence that Mat is Aemon reborn, the last king of Manatheren.  After all, he began shouting Aemon's battlecry even before they went to Shadar Logoth, and had a dream of leading the King's personal bodyguard into battle against the Trollocs.  So I think he's definitely reborn... I'm just not sure if Aemon was super lucky or not... although his battlecry was "It is time to toss the dice" so it's certainly possible.

Aemon was known for being a shrewd gambler.

On 6/15/2010 at 2:34 PM, Duskfire said:

Well, thats also explained with the Old Blood as well. I am just not sure why Mat would be remembering his previous life at all when no other character really does (with the exception of Rand, and thats a strange case there.) Perrin for instance has no weird memories, or Egwene or Elayne or anyone. Unless theres some strange situation behind it (i.e Rands insanity) it doesnt seem to fit with everything else. Its not impossible however, I just find it unlikely.

I always thought it was fairly obvious that Mat was Aemon reborn, even back when I first read tEotW. Moiraine tells a story about Aemon and Eldrene, and a few chapters later, Mat shouts a battlecry in the Old Tongue that references Eldrene? And if that's not enough, Mat actually dreams about being Aemon in TDR.

It's never said that Rand has LTT's memories because of the Taint on Saidin. A lot of people just assumes it, but consider that Rand first thought LTT was a separate person. I would argue that remembering his past life is a part of being the Dragon Reborn, but the Taint's madness warped that aspect of him and caused him to interpret LTT's memories as "voices in his head".

Madness can take a lot of forms, and Rand's madness displays typical symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia.

• 9 months later...
Guest Vladraec

Could it be possible that the dice could be a way that Mat gains insight about the future? In the beginning of TSR, Mat is playing cards with some Tairen lords, and he feels his luck grow very strong, to the point where he knew what his card would be before he even got it. And Mat's luck is even better with dice. The dice in Mat's head could be his interpretation of info from the Pattern. It also could very well be possible that the dice are residues from the Portal Stone in TGH where Mat and the others see every (I think it's every) possible life they could have lived based off of different choices they made. And since Mat's memory of that time is very faint, maybe the dice are him remembering that SOMETHING important is about to happen, but he can't remember exactly what? Idk, just a few theories (also this is my first post so sry if I'm completely wrong lol)