DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brandon doing his last research for ToM - 160k words from books 9,10,11

Dreamwalker

So a little while ago Brandon Sanderson posted this:

"Just cut out 160k words of chapters in WoT 9,10,11 and put them in one file to read. Should be my last research needed for TofM."

So, based on the books mentioned, what do you think he's researching? Surely with all of us together we can figure this out.

Dragonmount, I choose you!

Taint cleansed, the BT and Taim starting to stir things up. Perrin's finale with the damn Shaido, ending the WT Siege. Alot happens in those three books. Could be anything and 160k is a mighty big chunk to study. I wonder if it's one story arc in particular.

"Just cut out 160k words of chapters in WoT 9,10,11 and put them in one file to read. Should be my last research needed for TofM."

So, based on the books mentioned, what do you think he's researching? Surely with all of us together we can figure this out.

That is quite large amount of text to cut out and research-160k words.  Another way to look at this 160k words, is to see it as 19.38% of those combined three books:

WH - 238,789 words

CoT - 271,632 words

KoD - 315,163 words

825,584 total words in WH+CoT+KoD books

160,000/825,584= .193802

Or one can see as roughly 1 in 5 chapters marked for research by Brandon Sanderson, for Towers of Midnight.

That is quite large amount of text to cut out and research-160k words.   Another way to look at this 160k words, is to see it as 19.38% of those combined three books:

WH - 238,789 words

CoT - 271,632 words

KoD - 315,163 words

825,584 total words in WH+CoT+KoD books

160,000/825,584= .193802

Or one can see as roughly 1 in 5 chapters marked for research by Brandon Sanderson, for Towers of Midnight.

Thanks for running the numbers on that Dida! So, with it being about a fifth of the total material, I think it pretty much has to be either one of the entire story arcs or all the passages that contain a specific character. I can't think of anything else that would have that sheer volume of passages concerning it.

Taint cleansed, the BT and Taim starting to stir things up. Perrin's finale with the damn Shaido, ending the WT Siege. Alot happens in those three books. Could be anything and 160k is a mighty big chunk to study. I wonder if it's one story arc in particular.

Since it's a pretty safe bet that a big part of ToM will be about the Black Tower clustermug, I think maybe the reread has to do with that. The cleansing and Taim's orders to assassinate Rand from 9, the...um...whatever was in 10, and the Logain stuff along with that eerie scene from the end of 11 with Taim and his companions laughing.

A lot of the background stuff that is leading up to the BT confrontation happened in 9,10, and 11 so I think it's a pretty safe bet. Anyone care to go through the trouble of seeing just how much Ashaman/cleansing/BT relivent content is in those three books, and if it approaches 160k?

The other options are Mat and Tuon...but Sanderson already did quite a bit of them in 12. Not together, but still. And it could be Perrin...but at this point it seems like the wild goose chase he was on for 9/10/11 doesn't have all that much to do with what is coming up. In fact, didn't Sanderson pretty much devote the little amount of camera time Perrin got in 12 to distancing him from all that stuff that had happened.

I doubt it could be Elayne because....well, I don't think any human has the physical threshold of reading 160k straight words about Elayne without repeatedly bashing thier head into a hard object so as to cause unconciousness.

:P

Also, I am not sure how Sanderson does his research, but wouldn't him cutting and pasting into a word document suggest this is something besides the main characters each with thier own chapters? If he's researching the nice, orderly, chapter sized storylines of a main character all he would have to do is hop from chapter to chapter.

I doubt it could be Elayne because....well, I don't think any human has the physical threshold of reading 160k straight words about Elayne without repeatedly bashing thier head into a hard object so as to cause unconciousness.

I love the Andoran Civil War arc.  >:(

I think Brandon would take one for the team. After all, good bathing habits may well be the key to Tarmon Gai'don.

From his Twitter:

He stood there waiting for one of the Forsaken to leap out of the flames in the marble fireplace, or the earth to swallow the Palace...

That's Winter's Heart, chapter 17, page 421 in the mass-market paperback edition I have. It's about Mat & Tuon then, because he meets Tuon in Tylin's chamber and the dice in his head stop with a loud bang or something.

I love the Andoran Civil War arc.  >:(

weirdo

Who would of thought an 18 year old blonde princess taking a bath could be so hated?

Wow, it really is ironic, isn't it?

tis. and yet i hate her guts. eh i dont know myself anymore

So while I was enjoying the mental image of her taking a bath other people were hating it? Bet they wouldn't have hated it had it been on a TV or movie screen.

Dude, how the heck did this thread get hijacked and turn into Elayne bashing? I for one don't think I hate any of the characters the way some people on here seem to hate Elayne, Egwene, Faile, Gawyn, Cadsuane and others ... I actually really like most of the characters, and the others I feel more ambivalent towards rather than hating them.

Anyway, to get this back on track:

From his Twitter:

He stood there waiting for one of the Forsaken to leap out of the flames in the marble fireplace, or the earth to swallow the Palace...

That's Winter's Heart, chapter 17, page 421 in the mass-market paperback edition I have. It's about Mat & Tuon then, because he meets Tuon in Tylin's chamber and the dice in his head stop with a loud bang or something.

I like it. This seems promising for a possible Mat and Tuon reunion to me.

However, if we add up the number of chapters per character PoV for Elayne, Perrin, and Mat that Charlz Guybon put up on the first page of the thread, we get: Elayne 22, Perrin 20, Mat 27. The total number of chapters for the three books is 107 (counting prologues and epilogues as chapters too). So Elayne and Perrin both seem to be close to a fifth of the books, the number Dida came up with, but if it's the Mat/Tuon story arc, the number seems a bit high (and would be even higher if you add in the couple of chapters with Tuon PoV).

Now 160k words does not in any way mean that they have to be entire chapters pulled out, so these numbers may be kind of misleading anyway - and the quote from Brandon falling in a Mat section seems to be some pretty strong evidence, as it seemed that Brandon was reading through that section at the moment and we know he'd just said he'd be reading for this research.

Archived