DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New series?

torrente

I wonder if there will be other series, even if just a trilogy this time.

1. Steampunk - WoT looks like it's venturing into steampunk from Book 10 onwards.  I wonder if there will be a new series, this time in the Fourth Age where everybody's getting around in locomotives and using words like 'Madam' and 'indubitably'?

2. Age of Legends.  We hear a lot about it, but don't get the flesh and origins.  A prequel style trilogy would be nice.

What other ideas do you have?  Should WoT become a franchise? 

I do know that Jordan had some more prequel ideas in the works, though these are still relatively close to the time of the books, and also some books that take place afterwards (I remember one being mentioned of Mat and Tuon), but I don't believe any were planned for the AoL or any further into the Fourth Age than the very first years of it. Sanderson has expressed a willingness to do it, but the ultimate decision lies with Harriet, who may not consent if she doesn't feel that Jordan left enough notes behind to do the stories justice.

There certainly are plenty of opportunities for stories, but outside of what Jordan directly planned/outlined/left notes on, I would not like to see it become a franchise like the Star Wars EU.

The only thing we know will be published is the encyclopedia Harriet and Team Jordan will wite once AMOL is done.

TOR wants the three outriggers focusing on Mat and Tuon around ten years after TG. Of course they want the remaining prequels as well, but the outriggers is their first choice. Mostly because Tom Doherty is a huge fan of Mat. But ultimatly, it is Harriets choice, and she will not make any final decision until after AMOL is done with. And of course, Brandon has something to say about it as well, as I strongly doubt they would hire another writer if he turned down an offer to write more.

So, one book that will happen, five that might happen. Other than these, there will be nothing more. It is a mattter of respecting RJs wish, that noone else be allowed to play in his world.

Brandon has said that he doesn't think any of them should be written, but if Harriet says she wants them, he'll write them.

If I remember right (from a tGS reading I went to, where he addressed the same question), he said that he didn't want to see it become the "McWheel of Time" (which I agree), and said that he would right more TO A POINT.  I think he said he'd write the prequels, maybe the outriggers (I don't remember if he said he would, or wouldn't), and that would be it.

The only writer who will ever be allowed to play in Jordan's sandbox is Brandon. At this point, I sincerely doubt we will see anything other than the main series. Harriet has never really seemed all that interested in expanding the series past that.

i wish rj had lived to write aMoL. i mean brandon is great. i loved TGS. he portrayed everybody excellently, except Mat at some points. but i liked new mat. but i mean RJ should have lived to see his masterpiece completed. i am not trying to bash sanderson in any way

Archived