DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Theory regarding the Dark One's prison and the Eye of the World

Samuel

Hey guys

I was musing over the Eye of the World (the saidin, not the book title) earlier and had an interesting thought.

We know that saidin was tainted due to Lews Therin "touching" the Dark One with it. Many have theorised that Rand will use the True Power to "touch" the Dark One in resealing his prison (though I personally disagree with this theory).

Now. I may be wrong here, but I believe there is a quote by either Robert Jordan or Brandon Sanderson stating the Eye of the World had some purpose beyond the first book. Is it possible that Rand will use the saidin in the Eye to "touch" the Dark One, thereby sealing his prison properly? As I understand it, the Eye is something like a well-an independent source of saidin, not directly connected to the True Source. If this is so, it wouldn't matter if the Dark One tainted the saidin in the Eye.

Of course, this is all assuming Rand didn't use all the saidin up back in book one.

Thoughts? I'm not really invested in the theory, but thought it was an interesting idea  :D

Hey guys

I was musing over the Eye of the World (the saidin, not the book title) earlier and had an interesting thought.

We know that saidin was tainted due to Lews Therin "touching" the Dark One with it. Many have theorised that Rand will use the True Power to "touch" the Dark One in resealing his prison (though I personally disagree with this theory).

Now. I may be wrong here, but I believe there is a quote by either Robert Jordan or Brandon Sanderson stating the Eye of the World had some purpose beyond the first book. Is it possible that Rand will use the saidin in the Eye to "touch" the Dark One, thereby sealing his prison properly? As I understand it, the Eye is something like a well-an independent source of saidin, not directly connected to the True Source. If this is so, it wouldn't matter if the Dark One tainted the saidin in the Eye.

Of course, this is all assuming Rand didn't use all the saidin up back in book one.

Thoughts? I'm not really invested in the theory, but thought it was an interesting idea  :D

Well, theoretically if the Eye of the World is actually a well of clean Saidin, then Rand could fill it back up now that he's cleaned it before using it, if it really is empty.

I'm not sure that any well would hold enough of the power for what Rand will use though. Especially if he uses the Chodan Kal.

I'm guessing that somehow Rand or the Dark One will forever remove the power from human use.

Maybe Rand will defeat the Dark One by destroying the power, or locking it away from all of us.

Which would lead to the 4th Age (our Age).

It's possible, I suppose.  After all, they did mention that the thing special about the Eye of the World was that the taint wasn't in the sai'din stored there.  Maybe whatever they did to keep that sai'din pure (since it was made after the tainting) can be used to keep sai'din/sai'dar from getting tainted again?  We'll have to see.  The Horn of Valere and Dragon Banner were also inside there, so they could bust out all three at once again... since none of them have really been seen since book three.

I agree that this would avoid tainting saidin, but it would taint the Eye instead, and the result could be even worse. The black dome at the end of Winter's Heart was huge; releasing all that evil physically into the world sounds dangerous. The channelers involved are still going to go immediately and totally insane too; it happened instantly to the Hundred Companions.

My personal take is that it's purpose was to be a place to train the Dragon Reborn so he could touch and learn saidin without going insane. Sealing the DO would take a ton of the One Power. Over 100 male Aes Sedai didn't have enough to do it, and Rand and Aginor burnt it up pretty quickly when they were drawing full strength from it.

So I see it as a place to channel small amounts to learn and sedate the addiction.

Archived