DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Voices in their heads...

saxedspc

I'm rereading KoD cause I'm bored and just finished Vows and a thought/question hit me.  LTT keeps saying Rand is in HIS head.  Is this just a madman/disembodied-voice ranting, or is Rand's voice somehow being time-warped back then and LTT being rebounded and that is what made LTT mad in the first place?

I know, crazy/stupid/weird idea, but it popped into my head and I thought it might make an interesting discussion since we've seemed to have talked everything else to death for now.

And does this take place between all The Dragons?

I'm rereading KoD cause I'm bored and just finished Vows and a thought/question hit me. LTT keeps saying Rand is in HIS head. Is this just a madman/disembodied-voice ranting,
Yes.
or is Rand's voice somehow being time-warped back then and LTT being rebounded and that is what made LTT mad in the first place?
No. LTT is aware of events in the present, such as the Trolloc attack on Lord Algarin's manor, for one.

I know, crazy/stupid/weird idea,
You're not the first to have it.
but it popped into my head and I thought it might make an interesting discussion since we've seemed to have talked everything else to death for now.
Believe it or not, this is another one that's been on the talked to death list.

And does this take place between all The Dragons?
No. There, answered this without spoilers, and without directing you to TGS. Guys, this is what a helpful answer looks like.

"They opened up the door to my insanity.

They shouldve slammed it shut right then and thrown away the key.

They stitched up my head from my lobotomy.

They should have never let me out im public enemy

I'm not okay, I'm not okay.

The voices in my head always say.

Voices in my head.

I should be commited for bing so twisted

Cuz everyone knows im just another psycho..."

haha, sorry that song popped into my head when i read the title. Motely Crue is the best.

• 1 month later...

I did read TGS, twice (so far), thank you. 

Just reading some of the other crazy freaking theories that get posted on here I had one that dealt with the two way flow of time that has been a subject of conjecture in physics for the past few decades and made me apply it to WOT.

The Wheel('s))on the bus) flow round and round and round and round (ad infinitum).  There is always a Dragon.  He is always reborn.  Therefore if he can touch his future self his future self should be able to touch his past self (in theory). 

How do we not know that Rand's mind reaching into the past to "steal memories" from LTT isn't what drove LTT crazy - hence the "voice in my head" and him going nutzoid and wasting everyone?

The Dragon is a thread in the Pattern.  You should be able to trace that thread both forwards and backwards (it might be a bit convalutated).

Therefore ALL Dragons are connected through the Ages.

There are no Dragons. There is A soul reborn and reborn again. And the memories  he takes from LTT are just memories from his past lives.

Rand is LTT and also the precedent Dragon, and the one before. It's the same person without the same face, the same live.

How do we not know that Rand's mind reaching into the past to "steal memories" from LTT isn't what drove LTT crazy - hence the "voice in my head" and him going nutzoid and wasting everyone?

We know because we have this:

But that was not the only result, of course. Instead, there was the counterstroke from the Dark One at the moment of sealing, and saidin itself was tainted. Lews Therin and the sixty-eight survivors of the Hundred Companions went insane on the instant.

Incidentally, there's still some post-TGS debate on the nature of Lews Therin's voice. See (though personally I don't agree with Lucker's reasoning here) http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,58874.0.html

There are no Dragons. There is A soul reborn and reborn again.

Differant lifes same soul.  Differant Dragons, same soul.

A penny melted down and recast as a new penny makes it a differant penny.

Spliting hairs here but that's what philoshopy is a about.

I say there are plenty of Dragons.

Oh and BTW Lucker is not the end all and be all of the WoT univervse (sorry Lurk).  So my question (and it is just a question) is still a valid point of debate!

There are no Dragons. There is A soul reborn and reborn again.

Differant lifes same soul.  Differant Dragons, same soul.

A penny melted down and recast as a new penny makes it a differant penny.

Spliting hairs here but that's what philoshopy is a about.

I say there are plenty of Dragons.

Oh and BTW Lucker is not the end all and be all of the WoT univervse (sorry Lurk).  So my question (and it is just a question) is still a valid point of debate!

True, Lucker isn't. Luckers, however... :D

I have serious doubts about Luckers being Asmo killer, Bela's master, the Creator, or Cyndane real identity... Perhaps the DO. Or Rand reborn in our Age...

Seriously, I think there were more than one Dragon, but in the end, I think there is a quote saying a new soul just get a new personnality in the above link. And Dragon is just a Title given to the CoL (as far as I have been taught so far...)

I have serious doubts about Luckers being Asmo killer, Bela's master, the Creator, or Cyndane real identity... Perhaps the DO. Or Rand reborn in our Age...

You are correct on all but one of those.

1. I didn't kill Asmo... he had a heart attack when he realised I was about. Don't know why, I wasn't going to hurt him. He always was a bit of a coward.

2. I am not Bela's master. She is a horse, is owned by the Aes Sedai, and--being a horse--lacks the wherewithal to serve as an agent or spy. Therefore I had no interest in doing business with her.

3. I am not the Creator. You wouldn't really like the Creator. He's callous, and cheats at poker. I am, however, the voice in Rand's head in the Eye of the World.

4. I am not Cyndane's real identity. She is disguised as my foot stool. She doesn't realise I know, so don't tell her. She's a much better foot stool than Forsaken.

5. I temp as the Dark One sometimes when Shai'tain's sick. Good pay but murder on the vocal cords.

6. I am NOT, however, Rand re-born in this Age--have you seen the type of life the Dragon generally has? Shove that for a joke.

I used to think the ability to guide his reborn self might have been a typical dragon reborn trait.  Because when talking about former incarnations of the dragon we usualy refer to LTT, but he was born and raised in the AoL, a relatively cushy environment to grow up in and learn about your abilities.  In an infinite number of cycles though, such nurturing environments won't always have been around.

Semi might have known about this because, being the famous doctor back in the AoL, she could have been consulted about this.

Of course, unless this is quickly confirmed in the next book, chances are slim, seeing as LTT could/should have mentioned it by now and I would have expected it to "pop up" in tGS.

Still, not 100% dead yet...

Archived