DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

STOP THE BASHING!!!!!!!!!

Natael

I don't know about you guys but I'm sick of the bashing of other series. I understand that you may not like it or that you may hate it but is it necessary to be so figgin malicious about it. People get really defensive for no reason. Of course the biggest one I'm talking about is the whole WoT vs SoT. Yes we get the TG is kind of a douche, well maybe a major one, but it doesn't change the fact that he is a good writer. Personally I feel that people should enjoy something for what its worth. They are well written novels, as are those in the WoT series. Yes, we can have our favourites (I personally favor WoT over SoT) but not to the point were we form "gangs", so to speak. Seriously, its starting to become exactly like the enmity between bloods and crypts. If so, which do you represent the....uh....sorry couldn't think of anything wity to call them. Hopefully you get my point. Granted not everyone bashes, many tell straight up how they feel about it. But most almost attack those of the opposite "gang". It's ridiculus!!!!!! Look at it this way one of my best friends and I have completly opposite views of both of the series. He likes SoT better while I prefer WoT. But we both agree that both series are good and well written. We just have differing opinions on which is better and for different reasons. Those of us who grew up reading more of the "old-school" style of writing of fantasy/scifi books (like LoTR,CoN,among others) will most likely prefer WoT. Meanwhile, those who prefer the "new-school" style (such as magic,there's others but I just can't think of them now)will probably like SoT. So just shake hands and "agree to disagree" while acknowledging the merits of the other's opinion. "Each to his own" after all.

Guest Egwene

Agree with you about the 'bashing' being unneccessary':D

... however, there is no reason not to discuss what makes us interested in one but not the other and discuss each others ideas about various books. If you fancy checking out the TG thread...

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5128

... you'll find that for the most part people are discussing rather than bashing. Most of the bashing on any thread on any topic is done by people that have very little to say over and above 'I like' or 'I hate'. This is an open forum and you can't ban people for making a comment without much substance...

... so...ignore 'bashing' posts. Reacting to them only fuels another 'bash'. Instead post actual discussion points and you'll find you will get discussion back. 8)

seems to me like this is a free forum. what you call "bashing" (which isn't, granted, all together inaccurate) is just a variant of the heat you get in the debates board over other non-book-related issues. really, it's no different. you'll get arguments with merit, and a fair share of empty comments too. nature of the beast.

i get what you mean, but this is a natural thing. you pick an apt example with Goodkind. he's the only one who really gets heated discussions out of us, i think. most of the other authors, well, it's just a friendly difference of opinion in the vast majority of cases.

goodkind brings something out, though. people who like him defend him vehemently, but are certainly equaled by the heat with which others criticize him. it's just one of those things, it seems; you love him or you hate him, with little room in between. there isn't much avoiding it. and i can't say that i'm sorry, really. without starting up another "debate" here, i stand fully behind previous statements on this score.

Absolutly agreed.

I have not done a "bashing Post" yet, but I'm sure one of these times I'm going to react before I think, and I would hope taht you guys would forgive me and ignore the fact that I was being a complete moron.

And I also agree that there is not grey area when it comes to goodkind for some reason. I have supported him and will continue to.

My faulting however I think stems that His books (besides LOTR) were the first set of Fantasy books I had ever read, so I guess it's kinda like the Virgin Hypothesis. You never forget your first. :)

Later!

i know what you mean about the "virgin" thing. 8)

first fantasy i ever really read was david eddings. now there's a 2nd rate writer. but he tells a good yarn. nowadays, i'll bash him, but i still re-read his stuff every few years or so. sort of a guilty pleasure...

haha, cool.

my main issue with eddings... well, there are a couple. i find there are too many parallels between garion's story and sparhawk's. some parts of it just kind of smack of laziness, where he was half-recycling ideas. and everyone has the exact same sense of humor. it's a good one, but really, dave, you could mix it up a bit, couldn't ya?

but agreed, they're good stories. it's kinda like watching an action movie, i've always felt. they're different from other fantasy, in that a lot of the dialogue and narrative is almost poking fun at the genre, cuz it's so irreverant.

My problem with Eddings is best viewed in the very beginning of the Diamond Throne. Just break down and look at all the insanity that happens to Sparhawk when he first returns to town. If they could've found a way to sneak in him saving a girl with a red balloon from a fire, it would've made the chapter(s) complete. It was all just so cliche, and so forced. "And here's the super thief who's going to bring you back in touch with the thieves guild man who owes you big, oh and by the way the super thief just happens to the be bastard son of your loyal retainer...." ><

totally, man. totally.

and he's such a perfect character. ie, he really has no discernable faults. quirks, but no faults. he doesn't have personal issues to overcome. the only issue he ever really has to deal with is that he's a 40/50 year old dude with a wicked hot 18 year old wife. seriously. there's no character growth; he's just that badass already.

hey you better watch out. me and my posse of goodkinders don't want to have to defend our leader against all yall Jordanmeisters.

Were part of the GRA now. the Goodkind Republican Army... lol

okay that went too much. I like your type of humour dude.

It's kinda that Vince Vaughn Cynical type humour.

Later

Archived