DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is anyone rooting for the Dark?

Faolin

I hope it's a draw.  Sort of.

My basic understanding is that you need a balance between the two.  The Wheel of Time is based on some eastern philosophy so it's not too far-fetched to think that RJ had a taoist approach in mind.  YinYang and all that.

That's true, I never really thought of that. It reminds me of that convo Rand had w/ Moridin where Moridin says that Rand doesnt understand the true nature of the DO or something along those lines.

I think maybe there has to be a DO, if Rand kills him the pattern will unravel or something. So perhaps its not about beating the DO but about restoring the balance.

What is funny is usually I do root for the Dark. If this was Star Wars I would be a happily Goosestepping Storm Trooper forcefully executing the Imperial Will upon the Galaxy, lol. I don't know what it is. I hate Luke Skywalker and I love Vader. I would fallow that guy anywhere. Plus the Sith and the Dark Side are ten times more powerful!

But with Rand I have to say for the first time I see myself rooting for the good guy. Maybe its because I like the way he is willing to sacrifice people. The way he is in real pain, and he isn't as much of a shmuck as Skywalker even though both their beginnings are equally as unassuming. There is just something about the Dark One in The Wheel of Time that I don't like or feel appealing. But the Emperor and Darth Vader I would follow anywhere.

What is funny is usually I do root for the Dark. If this was Star Wars I would be a happily Goosestepping Storm Trooper forcefully executing the Imperial Will upon the Galaxy, lol. I don't know what it is. I hate Luke Skywalker and I love Vader. I would fallow that guy anywhere. Plus the Sith and the Dark Side are ten times more powerful!

But with Rand I have to say for the first time I see myself rooting for the good guy. Maybe its because I like the way he is willing to sacrifice people. The way he is in real pain, and he isn't as much of a shmuck as Skywalker even though both their beginnings are equally as unassuming. There is just something about the Dark One in The Wheel of Time that I don't like or feel appealing. But the Emperor and Darth Vader I would follow anywhere.

Maybe its because sometimes Rand can act like the bad guy, there isnt such a clear line between bad guy and good guy in this series - thats one of the most interesting things for me.

As for Star Wars, the bad guys definitely have a cool factor but I voted for Luke! :-)

Some people seems to want this battle to be a win absolutely for the light. They abhor the fact that this may just be another turning of the wheel.

I am hoping that it IS just another turning of the wheel. The DO is sealed up away from the world completely, until he is bored into again in another age.

Definitely not rooting for the dark, pretty clear who the losing team is so i dont know why you would lol

[

Maybe its because sometimes Rand can act like the bad guy, there isnt such a clear line between bad guy and good guy in this series - thats one of the most interesting things for me.

I think that is the biggest problem with Robert Jordan's series.

I think the lines between good and bad are WAY too obvious.

Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but the characters aren't shades of Gray, they're black and white.

[

I think that is the biggest problem with Robert Jordan's series.

I think the lines between good and bad are WAY too obvious.

Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but the characters aren't shades of Gray, they're black and white.

Have to object. The Aes Sedai have been a big Grey splotch all over the pages of the series. Along with several characters.

I want the DO to die so that this isn't just another turning of the wheel.

But i like the bad guys. Bad guys are awesome in anything, they have the best lines, best outfits, best chances of victory (although they always lose)

Rand panted as he gazed down into the firey Pit of Dhoom, a massive vortex of shadow obscuring the lava. Suddenly two slited, blood-red eyes of fire formed out of the vortex. "Shai'tan!" Rand stated, as the vortex moved upwards, spreading and expanding like an inkstain through the air itself.

Rand raised Callandor, preparing the Blade of Light to end the Dark One once and for all. The pall of darkness raised itself out of the pit, and covered half the cavern. "I've been expecting you, Lews Therin!" The rasping vioce sounded in Rands head.

Then the Dark One eats Rand and the Shadfow wins.

Everyone is eaten by Trollocs, the Aes Sedai and all those annoying female characters are raped by fades, THEN eaten by Trollocs. Then ghost-raped.

SHADOW WINS! YEAH!

A series where the protagonists were evil and the antagonists were good would be interesting, and i would read it. Like, imagine Lord of the Rings told from the Witch Kings point of view? Or Mistborn from the Lord Rulers? Or WoT frm those failure forskaens PoV? that last one would suck, 'cause the forskaen are really wannabee bad-guys, but still, the point remains.

it doesnt matter if the dark one is killed or destroyed because it always states that the dark one is outside of the patten

says something like 'the creator made the pattern and at the moment of creation lock or imprisoned the dark one outside of the pattern' or something similar to that

so rand could stab the dark one in the face and the world wouldnt explode

pesonally i think the DO will just be sealed back up again

it doesnt matter if the dark one is killed or destroyed because it always states that the dark one is outside of the patten

says something like 'the creator made the pattern and at the moment of creation lock or imprisoned the dark one outside of the pattern' or something similar to that

so rand could stab the dark one in the face and the world wouldnt explode

pesonally i think the DO will just be sealed back up again

exactly, i really dont see why people keep talking about the "balance" of good and evil or what not, the DO is not "evil" in that sensen niether is he the source of all evil  (there will still be evil if the DO is toast ie Shadar Logoth taint)

The DO is just a badass entity that is like an invader, ive said many times, like a disease invading someones body (the body being the WoT world) for he was sealed outside of the pattern, he cant very well be a balance of anything, he isnt even in the pattern

exactly, i really dont see why people keep talking about the "balance" of good and evil or what not, the DO is not "evil" in that sensen niether is he the source of all evil  (there will still be evil if the DO is toast ie Shadar Logoth taint)

The DO is just a badass entity that is like an invader, ive said many times, like a disease invading someones body (the body being the WoT world) for he was sealed outside of the pattern, he cant very well be a balance of anything, he isnt even in the pattern

so what you're saying is the Wheel itself has no effect on the Pattern?

The Wheel of time is outside of the Pattern, yet it has a pretty profound effect on the pattern itself.

While a victory for the light and a reinstatement of the age of legends would be really satisfying for a day or two, it would really leave me with a sense of loss for when I wanted to RP. I don't like RPing back in time in a world because I already know what happens, also you know you'll never be as big of a hero as the main character in the series!

I also kind of suffer from an effect where I keep thinking I want the good side to win "for now" and then I'll try again later. This comes from games like Morrowind or Neverwinter Nights where I tend to save at key decisions so that I can go back and see what happens when I instead decide to be a total jerk evil guy.

But then I remember that when the books are done, there is no reverting to a previous save :(

so what you're saying is the Wheel itself has no effect on the Pattern?

The Wheel of time is outside of the Pattern, yet it has a pretty profound effect on the pattern itself.

this statement is ridiculous, sorry, but it is true.

The Wheel,put in place by the Creator, is time itself, ever turning and returning. The fabric it weaves is constructed from the threads of lives and events, interlaced into a design, the Great Pattern, which is the whole of existance and reality, past present and future.

BWB:Chapter 1: The Wheel and the Pattern

Enough said, but the Pattern is a design of the Wheel, the DO being outside of the Wheel itself, therefore the argument you are proposing is false. To make it clearer..

The only known forces outside the Wheel and the Great Pattern are the Creator, who shaped the Wheel, the One Power that drives it - as well as the plan for the Great Pattern- and the Dark One, who was imprisoned outside the pattern by the Creator at the moment of creation.

BWB:Chapter 1: The Wheel and the Pattern

What more is needed? Unless there is opposing evidence somewhere, I dont see how you can come to any other conclusion bar what I said. (White Ajah logic, haha.)

Sorry if it was a bit blunt, but thats all there is to it.

Archived