DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Channeling Questions - who's stronger, how does the aging work...???

DocBean

Is there any way for a channeler - male or female, to know how powerful someone is if they are using a ter'angreal?

Is it possible that Alivia is indeed stronger then Lanfear, or at least the same as Lanfear?

Why would it be a shock to Lanfear that Alivia would be using a ter'angreal? That makes me think that she can see how strong she is, and knows she's stronger even without the ter'angreal.

Alivia was linked with other channelers too wasn't she? How would that throw the power estimation off?

Also, is that old lady that is supposed to be really strong (can't think of her name) as strong as either Alivia or Lanfear?

The Rebel Aes Sedai seem to think she will be as strong as any woman can be.

If she is that powerful, how is it she's not reached her full potential at 60-70 years old? And how is it she looks old if she's that strong in the power?

shouldn't she look like she's way younger, and not at all grandmotherly, like she's described?

cyndane assumes alivia is using an angreal because at that time alivia is stronger than lanfear was, and lanfear was the strongest woman in the AoL. So for someone in this age to be more powerfull than her would be extremally rare. However cyndane does not know for sure.

About the old lady. As i recall she can not channel, however she can be thought. Since she has not started channeling she has not been affect by the slow agin rate. this also goes with her streght, she will be more powerful than Nyn once she starts channeling and develops to her full potential. I remember reading somewhere that once she does start channeling she will begin to look younger, however i dont necessarily agree with that.

No, Alivia is not stronger than Lanfear, not even in her current Cyndane-capacity.

Lanfear was not shocked that Alivia was using a ter'angreal. She was shocked at how strong Alivia was, and deduced she must be using an angreal.

And no, Alivia was not linked with anyone.

The old lady is Sharina Melloy. She is nowhere near as strong as Cyndane, or even Alivia. Her potential is greater than Nynaeves, but it will take quite some time before she reahces her full potential.

She is a learner, not a sparker, and had therefor not channeled until she hppked up with the rebels. Eventually, she will start getting a younger appearance.

No, Alivia is not stronger than Lanfear, not even in her current Cyndane-capacity.

Lanfear was not shocked that Alivia was using a ter'angreal. She was shocked at how strong Alivia was, and deduced she must be using an angreal.

And no, Alivia was not linked with anyone.

How do we know that Alivia isn't stronger then Cyndane?

Cyndane seems really shocked at Alivia's strength.

What I'm saying is, she should have assumed that the channelers with Rand would have ter'Angreal.

If she wasn't surprised about the 'angreal then why would she be so shocked by Alivia?

She seemed truely surprised that Alivia was stronger even then she was as Lanfear.

I would guess that Cyndane would say, "Dang, this one is strong, and must have one heck of a ter'angreal to be THAT powerful. I better be careful with this one."

Instead she says: "Impossible, she was stronger even then she was before being held by the Aelfin! She must have a ter'angreal" - or something like that.

I don't get why should would be surprised that she can't just walk in there and be the most powerful channeler even without an 'angreal of her own.

So I think Lanfear/Cyndane is basically saying either:

1. "This woman is stronger then me?!" - and she can tell no 'angreal would make that difference in power.

or

2. "I can't believe these 3rd agers have 'angreals, didn't plan for that! Crap!!!"

If she thought  - "Dang, she's strong, must have an 'angreal." then she shouldn't come across as being so shocked.

Don't we also know that Nyaneve is nearly as strong as Moghedian? When they fought, wasn't it basically a wash?

If  Alivia is so much stronger then Nyaneve then she should be stronger then at least some of the Chosen too.

Cyndane said  Alivia was "stronger than Cyndane was before the Aelfin and the Eelfin held her, thats impossible! no woman could be stronger, she must be using an angreal" WH pg 671. Lanfear was as strong as it was possible to be, so for anyone to be stronger than that theyd need an angreal. As for Sharina, she wont start looking younger ,shel just age slower. Look at Sorilea she still looks really old(i realise Sorileas very weak and Sharinas very strong). Maybe if she holds the oath road shell get ageles

As for Sharina, she wont start looking younger ,shel just age slower. Look at Sorilea she still looks really old(i realise Sorileas very weak and Sharinas very strong). Maybe if she holds the oath road shell get ageles

Sharina will retreat back into looking slightly younger (40 perhaps). RJ said so. She won't have the full life span that she could have had, though.

RJ's blog 10 December 2005 "THIS AND THAT"

- I saw somewhere that I supposedly said that Sharina Melloy will not grow younger.  If I did, then I misspoke.  Sharina will not grow young, but she will grow younger in appearance, as will any other older women who begin to channel.  For Sharina, by way of example, she will “regress” into apparent middle age, but no younger.

Don't we also know that Nyaneve is nearly as strong as Moghedian? When they fought, wasn't it basically a wash? If  Alivia is so much stronger then Nyaneve then she should be stronger then at least some of the Chosen too.

Yes, Nynaeve's potential is higher than Moghedien's. Sharina's potential is above Nynaeve's. Alivia's considerably stronger than Nynaeve's potential. Only 6 women (Forsaken included - dead or alive) are higher up on the scale than Nynaeve.

On how the aging/slowing work:

Knife of Dreams book tour 14 October 2005- Bryan Allen reporting

Q: Does the rate of slowing depend on your strength in the Power?

RJ: Yes: Basically; you age at 1/X your normal rate, with X being dependent up to a point on Power strength. The Power acts as a natural rejuvenator on you; even at the point of death you won't look or feel worse than a normal 65-year-old.

In a 2005 Blog RJ had this to say about Alivia facing Cyndane

when Alivia faced Cyndane, Alivia was by far the stronger because of her angreal, and had various tools (ter’angreal) to work with besides, but Cyndane was much, much more knowledgeable about channeling.  Alivia, after all, knew relatively little except how to be a weapon.  That was very useful in the situation, but in this case, knowledge versus strength made it an even match.

here is a link for the entire post http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=26

Archived