DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

myrddraal cape

Afritz

Hello, I have a question I couldn't find an answer to and figured this would be the place to ask.  I am an art institute student and am creating and  compositing a myrddraal into a live action shot for a final but I'm not quite sure how the cape should move. I get not moving in the wind but I never thought much past that.

The question is how much inertia would get transferred to the cape through his body? Would it behave like leather,cloth, somewhere in between? Any help would be great cause I'm stumped.

I see them as pitch black, woolen capes that almost have weights (coins?) sewn into them every couple of inches, making them hang down - ignoring the wind.  I agree that it it is tied to the "life" force of the eyeless, as there are several times when RJ has described dead myrddraal with their capes fluttering feebly.

I could see a group pic of all the Randland folks, wind blowing hair, dresses and cloaks all over, and the lone myrddraal in the corner standing, totally unaffected by the wind, unnatural as heck, because it looks like a photoshop job...  It's supposed to look unnatural... it's their "nature.

Myrddraal are truly halfmen, they exist only halfway in this world. Still, any movement they make will move the cloak since both the myrddraal itself and the cloak are caught between worlds. A force in Randland will find it much harder to move the cloak since it can only exert half it's full force due to the cloak being out of sync with the world. The cloak is also heavy, weighed down by metal at some points, that is why only a very powerful wind (75+ mph probably) could even move the cloak. Of course, when the myrddraal dies whatever was holding it slightly outside reality is gone, reverting the cloak to a normal heavy black cloak.

Short answer: It's a fairly heavy cloak, but the myrddraal is more in sync with it than the world so all energy is transferred from the myrddraal and only half is transferred from the world.

• 9 years later...