DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A question regarding Mazrim Taim and Rand.

In book 9 during the scene where Rand encounters Padin Fain in the inn in Far Medding, the two renegade Ashaman walk up the stairs and inexplicably implicate Taim as being the orchestrator of their attempts to kill Rand. It appears to have been made clear that what they say is within ear shot of Rand, yet he seems to not acknowledge what they say at all, he doesn't ponder over it in his chapters in book 10(as far as I've gotten)and when Logain informs him of the way in which Taim is running the Black tower, he doesn't mention what the two said, nor think of it, and simply says that taim will have to wait. Surely if he knew Taim ordered him killed, he would not allow the man to continue living, let alone as mheal.

So I am just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the subject, did Rand not hear what was said by the two Ashaman in the inn or what?

He hears 'the M'hael will kill us if...'

Given Rand commanded that Taim execute any runaways, there is no reason for Rand to wonder about why the M'hael would kill them. We can deduce that the sentence was likely going to end 'the M'hael will kill us if we don't kill al'thor', but Rand could easily finish the sentence as 'the M'hael will kill us if he catches us.'

He hears 'the M'hael will kill us if...'

Given Rand commanded that Taim execute any runaways, there is no reason for Rand to wonder about why the M'hael would kill them. We can deduce that the sentence was likely going to end 'the M'hael will kill us if we don't kill al'thor', but Rand could easily finish the sentence as 'the M'hael will kill us if he catches us.'

I agree.  Rand had no reason to assume that Taim behind the attacks from just that information.  But later in the series, the information is stacked up with Logain telling him that Taim was biulding his own personal army from the people he was personally recruiting and he disregards it as Logain being jealous of Taim position.  And even Lews Therin tells him to be wary of Taim.  It's obviuusly for a while that Taim is a darkfriend.  and Rand even askes Logain what possible benefit could Taim gain from a group of loyal Ashaman.. and the first though that came to my head when I read that was "ummm....maybe a group of Dreadlords at the Last battle"....damn...I mean rand is an idiot not to see it.

Archived