DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat's luck in tDR

Ok just been doing another re-read of the series and have just finished tDR, sorry if this has been disscussed anywhere else, couldn't find anything.

Now in tDR we see something wierd happen with Mat's luck that I don't think we've seen the like of with his luck before or after. It's during the scene in Tear where Mat's just rocked up and is looking for the girlies, he finds Comar (the guy sent by Rahvin to hunt the girls) in some tavern and decides to dice with him, Comar is using weighted dice to cheat and i'm not sure if this is why the description we get is very odd but anyway as Mat picks up Comar's dice this is the quote:

"He spilled the dice onto the tabletop. They bounced oddly. He felt-something-shifting. It was as if his luck had gone wild. The room seemed to be writhing around him, tugging at the dice with threads. For some reason he wanted to look at the door, but he kept his eyes on the dice. They camt rest. Five crowns. Comar's eyes looked ready to pop out of his head."

I'm not sure but this is the only time I can remember Mat's luck being described as a physical force almost, it's as if he can almost see and physically feel his luck working. I accept that this could be because his luck with dice is going up against weighted dice so his luck (with which he wins every toss) is against weighted dice (with which it should be impossible for him to win) but either way the description is very strange. If anyone has another quote where Mat's luck is described in the same way it would be much apprieciated. But the other thing I find very strange is the line For some reason he wanted to look at the door. This is very strange it makes me think that someone was Channeling at Mat and his dice and was stood at the door or just outside the door? Maybe that is what caused the wierd description of the room writhing round him, tugging at the dice with threads? Whatever is going on it's a very strange that made me wonder alot and peoples views would be welcomed. And someone must be with me about the wanting to look at the door line, why put that in there if theres no significance??

One reason that the Pattern shifted the dice via Mat's luck in such a physical manner is that Comar was using weighted dice that always came up the same way and Mat's luck changed that...hence the eye popping.

I also noted the wanting to look at the door but never came to any conclusions about it....

I DID come to a conclusion...  Mat KNEW his luck could change things - and this was the first time he really intervened in a "fated" occurrence.  The dice were "fated" to fall the way they were weighted... and his luck took an "impossibility" and made it a reality - unlike a regular toss of regular dice.  Sure, rolling 500 sets of five crowns is unbelievably unlikely - but it IS possible.  This time, he played with an "impossibility".

The reason he wanted to look at the door was because he KNEW he was "cheating" and thought about making an escape...

That's it.

Archived