DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Things that annoy me about Rand

Giovanni

Don't get me wrong, I love Rand and think he's the best character in the whole series.  He's smart, skilled, and deep inside has a good heart (despite trying to be so hard all the time).  That being said, a few things that irk me:

1)  He doesn't see that Taim is as big a threat to him as any Forsaken (perhaps bigger)

2)  He insults the crap out of the Atha'an Miere.  They waited to talk to him forever and he totally blew them off.  Similar insults to the Borderlanders too, but those I can understand a little more.

Am I being too hard on the old sheepherder?

Ya, his ignoring Taim is silly.  Especially after Logain brings his concerns about Taim being a DF to him.  He really needs to get onto of that one.

I have no problems with him ignoring and insulting the Sea Folk.  They're annoying and pointless and I'd ignore and insult them, too.  The Borderlanders do have a legitimate complaint that he's trying to unite the nations against the DO and he's ignoring them in favour of places that haven't seen a Trolloc in millenia.  That complaint could be addressed by sending a couple of ambassadors, however, as a first step before stripping the Borderlands of their armies when they know the Last Battle is approaching.  Wandering down with those looks too fishy for anyone to want to go near them.

Certainly the fact that the Borderlanders have 13 Aes Sedai with them have something to do with it. I think Rand knows that, although I've searched for the bit in the books were he found out and couldn't find it.

I also think Rand just thought from the beginning that of all the people in the world, the Borderlanders could be trusted to stay guarding the blight. Yes, the rest of the world have never even seen a Trolloc, thats why he needs to make the southern nations realise the danger coming.

Rand is ignoring Taim so hard I can't help thinking he's got a plan up his sleeve for the wily old (probable) DF...

This is exactly what I have been thinking for awhile.  I hope I don't have it built up in my head, and it is just going to be some insignificant event, like Mat killing Couladin without even a POV of his fight.  What The Hell???

Rand is ignoring Taim so hard I can't help thinking he's got a plan up his sleeve for the wily old (probable) DF...

This is exactly what I have been thinking for awhile.  I hope I don't have it built up in my head, and it is just going to be some insignificant event, like Mat killing Couladin without even a POV of his fight.  What The Hell???

Thats the only thing (bar Elayne) that annoys me about the whole series, that fight could have been epic. I do agree though, I think Rand does have a plan for the B;ack Tower, but I think it's one that has to done at the right time, to give the Shadow no time to react before Tarmon Gai'don

I think why he avoided the Seafolk so much is that he was trying to spare destroying their people like he has so many other places, and was a bit naive about that fact that he was showing them disrespect.

What really started to tick me off was how much disrespect he has been showing the Aiel after how much they've done for him. When he should be looking to them to see how to be stronger without being such a jerk to everyone.

That's what I thought for a long time, until Logain was all "yo dude you need to watch out for that foo Taim" and Rand's like, "nuh uh."

Amen.

Thats the only thing (bar Elayne) that annoys me about the whole series, that fight could have been epic. I do agree though, I think Rand does have a plan for the B;ack Tower, but I think it's one that has to done at the right time, to give the Shadow no time to react before Tarmon Gai'don

The problem is that time is running out.

What really started to tick me off was how much disrespect he has been showing the Aiel after how much they've done for him. When he should be looking to them to see how to be stronger without being such a jerk to everyone.

AMEN.

1)  He doesn't see that Taim is as big a threat to him as any Forsaken (perhaps bigger)

Rand doesn't really care what Taim does as long as he makes an army of living weapons for him to use at Tarmon Gai'don. Also, he has no proof that Taim is doing anything wrong. He has the word of a False Dragon against that of another False Dragon. Logain isn't exactly a goody two shoes either.

2)  He insults the crap out of the Atha'an Miere.  They waited to talk to him forever and he totally blew them off.  Similar insults to the Borderlanders too, but those I can understand a little more.

He did have somewhat important things to do like dealing with Taim, starting the Black Tower, preparing the army to invade Illian, dealing with both the Aes Sedai embassies, being captured and beaten, dealing with the aftermath of Dumai's Well, deposing Colavere, dealing with the Aiel Chiefs etc...

The problem is that time is running out.

See, I agree time is running out, but surely (if the whole "breaking the seals" theory is true), only Lews Therin (and therefore Rand) would know how much time. Maybe there are still a few weeks after the seals are broken till the DO breaks free. IIRC the seals are placed over the hole in the bore, they cover the hole, but the DO could break the seals and still not be free. Maybe he breaks free straight after they're broken, but bottom line is, for now we just have to trust Rand knows what he's doing.

and it is just going to be some insignificant event, like Mat killing Couladin without even a POV of his fight.  What The Hell???

I actually think this event was done right. Couladin was a waste of time for Rand. He really wasn't anything more than a whiny, annoying pawn of the Forsaken. Sevanna was the real threat from the Shaido and a fight between Couladin and Rand would have just been another fight, then move on. Having Mat kill him and then not really talking about it anymore was a way of showing the lack of importance of Couladin. As we can see, his death really didn't do anything. The Shaido continued to be a thorn to Rand, but because of Sevanna, not Couladin.

His face. But seriously ignoring Taim .

I personnally think that he's better off having let taim have free reign over the BT by now taims overconfident in his men, and hasnt bothered to really hide what he's doing, whereas if rand kept slapping him down things would be more like the WT with darkfriends hidden everywhere, instead of likely being concentrated in taims classes for extra training

His face. But seriously ignoring Taim .

I personnally think that he's better off having let taim have free reign over the BT by now taims overconfident in his men, and hasnt bothered to really hide what he's doing, whereas if rand kept slapping him down things would be more like the WT with darkfriends hidden everywhere, instead of likely being concentrated in taims classes for extra training

I don't think Taim could ever work as subtle as that. Taim is probably just been used to cause a distraction for Rand by the shadow. I know Rand has a lot on his plate and all that but he should of stepped in earlier and nipped it in the butt.

Archived