DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

why is the game of houses so important

scott

I dont understand why the game of houses is so important rand is the dragon reborn why cant he just say what he wants done or anyone for that reason all this hinting at things and saying something with two meanings is so crap

Unfortunately, the Game of Houses is probably one of the most realistic elements of the Wheel of Time series. All you need to do is read the politics section of the NY Times to see just how the elite class of any society shades words and double-crosses each other in order to gain advantage. This process often occurs simply because these people are used to thinking a certain way. Jesus Christ himself could announce a second coming and Congress would still be debating possible courses of action by the time the apocalypse started.

And yes, it sucks, but that's the way the world works. That being said, I'm still more fascinated by the Tairen nobles trying to weasel their way out of reform than, for example, reading about how Perrin could never fail Faile, or the Supergirls having a hissy fit.

It's an alternative to total war.  We've seen a variety of approaches Rand has taken.  With the Aiel he went to the waste and he submitted to them first.  In Tear he showed up and said I am the Dragon now do everything I say and we can see how well that worked out (he has had to micromanage everything.)  In Cairhien he had the backing of a massive Aiel army and was able to achieve a certain truce between all three parties.

I dont understand why the game of houses is so important rand is the dragon reborn why cant he just say what he wants done or anyone for that reason all this hinting at things and saying something with two meanings is so crap

it's just a name placed to something that occurs in the world around us even now.  often, and best, scene in politics but can apply basically to any level of society as a whole, people constantly jocky'n for position in some manner.

why it is important is that he needs the support, whether forced or earned, in order to face TG.  as such, he "has" to play the game in some manner to ensure "best chances" to win and save the ole world.~

it's just a name placed to something that occurs in the world around us even now.  often, and best, scene in politics but can apply basically to any level of society as a whole, people constantly jocky'n for position in some manner.

why it is important is that he needs the support, whether forced or earned, in order to face TG.  as such, he "has" to play the game in some manner to ensure "best chances" to win and save the ole world.~

And we all know doing nothing at all is a strong ploy in the great game, so there is no way to not play.

Archived