DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will/Should Rand Survive the Last Battle? Should He?

bigWalt

Personally I like stories where the heroes die permanently, but I'm confident (because Rand is the Messiah figure, the Jesus of the setting) that Rand will die and be resurrected. The only part I don't know is whether that death will be physical, emotional, symbolic, metaphorical, etc.

Sirayn, we've already had a death and ressurection... Mat.

It is my opinion that Rand will live - but the Dragon will die.  There will be stealth and subterfuge and the Fates... sorry, Nyn, Elayne and Eqwene will all be in on it.  The Dragon will not leave Shayol Gul - but Rand will move on - and go live with all forty-seven of his wives... (it seems like it, sometimes!).

I think Rand will be alive at the end because of the "he who is dead yet lives" Foretelling. Of course, there are plenty of peopl that could apply to, Ishamael being the next candidate in my head, but seeing as it references Rands harem...

I want him to be alive at the end for two reasons. The first has always been curiosity; to me it seems like the books blatently say "Rand will be alive after dying" and Ive been anxious to see how RJ planned it. In writing they say bringing back a dead good guy can ruin a story but I think we all know that wont be the case here, and Rands "inevitable" return is one of the things Ive waited for most. The second reason I want him to live again is because of his sorrow. He suffers so much throughout the story, physically, mentally, but is kept alive so he has to go through it all, and even though he is resigned to sacrificing himself there was always that little bit of him that thinks "but I just want to live." That makes me want him to survive.

I want him to die, but I want him to survive it.

will he?  probably.  should he?  probably.

all the comparisons aside, he is the main character of the series.  rare is it that the main character "dies" and as such he will survive in some fashion.  given the trend of the story arc thus far I suspect that he will "die" in some metaphysical way more-so than physical.  this just meaning, as mentioned previously, I expect to see some sort of seperation of Rand from LTT and LTT being the one to "die". 

although, sure would be pretty durn cool to see the story end like LTT...who needs a happy ending?  bah!  it's the wheel and nothing could reinforce that "idea" better than ending it just like LTT...but I can see the cries of protest over that idea already.  heh~

I think Rand will, and should die at the end of the series. I was actually kind of in the middle until book 12, but  what happens in that book has convinced me that Rand should die at the end.

Will he? I don't know. At this point there are so many loose thread prophecies that make trying to figure out what is going to happen very difficult.

Alivia is going to "help Rand die"

Logain is going to have some great glory

Rand's blood on the rock of Shayol Ghul

3 women and a boat

It all points rather blatantly to some kind of tricky ending, which is why I think ultimately Rand will die. Excuse me if I fudge up the exact quote, but I believe Jordan said, "If the answer seems too simple, then you're probably asking the wrong question" ;)

Like others and like I speculated in other threads, I take that Rand would be literally resurrected sometime after Tarmon Gaidon.  I take he would literally die during Tarmon Gaidon.

The Dark Prophecy is another prophecy that indicates that he might become resurrected.

Well so long as the Wheel exists after TG then that seems to imply a rebirth at some point again in the future.  That leaves open the questions how long and in exactly what form relative to who he is now.  Birgitte's situation comes to mind as someone who re emerged in the world with a fully intact identity, although memories and certain aspects of her personality are fading.  Be interesting to see how the thing with her and Gaidal Cain plays out and if it provides any indication on what may happen with Rand and his personal relationships.

Frankly, I just think he deserves to have some peace and get to enjoy being with the people he loves without having to worry about Forsaken and the DO.

The Forsaken would likely be all dead by time time Tarmon Gaidon is finished (if not sooner); and the Dark one would be more permanently sealed this time.

Darkfriends/Dreadlords/Shadowspawn (and other forces of the Shadow) would likely be also eliminated by then.

If Rand becomes resurrected, I would guess the first actual Darkfriends would arise some time after his second death (assuming that his first occurs during Tarmon Gaidon).

Archived