DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Has tuon slowed

The_Dragon

i dont have access to my books atm but i remember mat remarking when he first met tuon how very young she looks. Since she is of similar age to other characters in the book is it possible she can infact channel and has already begun to slow?

Thoughts?

has it been expressly said she cannot channel, i know she claims that she has no desire to learn, but for very obvious reasons is it possible she is a wilder that has managed to hide her ability from herself and somehow beat the adam test?

It's been expressly said that she CAN learn to channel but chooses not to. She isn't a wilder or sparker or any term you might use.

The main things about Tuon's appearance that make her appear so young are that she is short and that she is slender and not very curvy. This makes her look almost pre-pubescent - which is not how slowing seems to work. Slowing makes you look young as far as having very healthy, smooth skin, and things like that - basically you seem to stay at the age where you are fully developed but at your prime of health (probably about 18).

A good example is Nynaeve - she is a little older than Tuon (about 27) but still looks to be 18 to 20. Tuon, on the other hand, is supposed to be 20. If she had slowed, she would probably look 18 to 20 (which is her actual age) simply because from examples in the series this seems to be how old most women are when they first begin to slow as that's the age that most seem to appear after they start to slow (it's how Nynaeve looks, it's the age that the stilled Siuan seems to return to, and I don't think we've heard any examples of people slowing any younger than that.)

Tuon appears younger than 18 from Mat's first impression of her - he thinks she looks almost like a little girl, probably meaning he thinks she looks like she's only 13 or 14. Granted, I think that part of this is bias on Mat's part because she is very slender and he tends to prefer plump women. (As he gets to know her, his opinion on the matter changes quite a bit, so his early opinions may have been a bit of a knee-jerk reaction  ;))

In short, the main things that make her look young are her short stature and her slight build - both of which are things that are not caused by slowing.

Archived