DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Would a gholam burn from an item of Shadar Logoth?

Awakened

Could Padin Fain kill the Gholam with his dagger? Shadar Logoth, while it existed seemed pretty effective when it came to killing Shadow Spawn. If some remnant items of Shadar Logoth can be found, could it be used to destroy the Gholam?

Interesting...He may be the one who finally kills Gholam. But Gholam seems to have a weakness to the items which are immune to OP like it (ter'angreal, though, not items). The dagger has nothing like that.

The dagger is the physical manifestation of Super Hate that is powerful enough to kill a Shadow Spawn just by touching it. It might not have the properties of  the medallion but it does have the advantage of being an actual weapon.

Gholam supposedly have no bones (or at least "act" like it).  In my opinion, that would mean that they are kept in the basic form of human by the One Power.

This is the reason that the foxhead medallion is anathema to them.  It breaks down their "life force".

A Shadar Logoth item would just hurt them like any normal critter - cutting them and injecting them with hate-poison...

A Shadar Logoth item would just hurt them like any normal critter - cutting them and injecting them with hate-poison...

also my thought on the matter.  the true "damage" done by this dagger isn't in the physical damage it can do but in the Super Charged Hate from Shadar Logoth.  We have seen how effective it is in affecting shadow spawn and I would "assume" that it would be no different in affecting a gholam.~ 

To me we do not yet know enough to determine whether the dagger could work against the gholam.

The "how"/"why" for the medallion may be a factor whether other things would work against the gholam.

Shadar Logoth/Aridhol stuff will (IMHO) harm anyone - light-walker and shadow-runner alike...

Mat ought to melt his medallion and make silver-foxy-medallion arrowheads out of it and hope that the metal will retain its magical power... then he could pick the Gholam off from a distance. :D

Mat ought to melt his medallion and make silver-foxy-medallion arrowheads out of it and hope that the metal will retain its magical power... then he could pick the Gholam off from a distance. :D

Might work, yet I imagine Mat would want a whole medallion.

A better method would be to let Elayne make copies of the medallion (if she can manage to channel).

I'd imagine that it would indeed harm the gholam. Maybe even more than it would humans, as Shadar Logoth stands opposite the Dark One.

Gholams are constructs, the Dark One has nothing to do with them...?

Jonas, when have we ever seen the dagger used on shadowspawn...?

I'd imagine that it would indeed harm the gholam. Maybe even more than it would humans, as Shadar Logoth stands opposite the Dark One.

Gholams are constructs, the Dark One has nothing to do with them...?

Jonas, when have we ever seen the dagger used on shadowspawn...?

It's my understanding that it was a construct created with the True Power, as a lot of Aginor's works are. I could be mistaken though.

It's my understanding that it was a construct created with the True Power, as a lot of Aginor's works are. I could be mistaken though.

The books do not tell which power the Shadowspawn were created with.  I would guess the One Power since Ishamael/Moridin seems the only one that used/uses the True Power frequently; the rest of the Forsaken I take used it seldom.

I had thought I read somewhere that channeling the TP at SG would essentially destroy you.  Also certain things like mind traps seem to depend on being physically at SG rather than which power you are using, so perhaps shadowspawn/gholams are made in a similar fashion.

Could Padin Fain kill the Gholam with his dagger? Shadar Logoth, while it existed seemed pretty effective when it came to killing Shadow Spawn. If some remnant items of Shadar Logoth can be found, could it be used to destroy the Gholam?

No, The dagger and other items from the city, are tainted by the evil of the greed that corrupted the city.  They are not Ter'angreal.  I believe that Gholam are created by the same process that creates Ter'angreal and that why they are immune to the one power, like Ter'angreal.  The process just makes them unable to touch Ter'angreal themselves.

No, The dagger and other items from the city, are tainted by the evil of the greed that corrupted the city.  They are not Ter'angreal.  I believe that Gholam are created by the same process that creates Ter'angreal and that why they are immune to the one power, like Ter'angreal.  The process just makes them unable to touch Ter'angreal themselves.

? Are you saying that the Dagger and other Shadar items are items of the One Power? There are many places in the story where evidence of the power of .. oh forgot the dude's name all of a sudden (the one who Rand, Mat and Perring hands out with by the treasure horde in TGH).. anyway. This character is very very powerful and I think it plausible that items from Shadar Logoth could harm the Gholam..

A gholam is essentually a sentient weave of the one power designed to unravel weaves in a similar way to mats ter'angreal or perhaps something of a hybridization of weave and man.  We have seen that the ter'angreal does literally nothing except unravel a channelers webs.  The simple fact that it effects a gholam at all supports this.

As for if Fains dagger would hurt it, I personally doubt it.  I think it possible that it could used to corrupt it in some way, perhaps even to gain control over it.  Ultimately there are to many unknowns of the gholams and what they are and how the exist to know for certain.  We know they were made, not born or capable of reproduction.  There were limited numbers created (dont remember the exact numbers), and the forsaken can compel/control them in some way.  Their form is fluid.  That is most of what is known of them.  I simply doubt they are real enough or alive enough to be affected

I would think that it's fairly obvious why Mat's ter'angreal harms the gholam. The gholam is designed along similar lines to a ter'angreal with the ability to melt flows of the One Power. Mat's medallion has that same function. And as is made painfully clear in "The Dragon Reborn" at Egwene's test for Acceptance, when ter'angreal with similar functions are brought in close proximity, they resonate, and one or both can melt. It seems to me that the gholam's brands are pretty the same as being partially melted.

I do wonder what would happen if you merge the evil of Shadar Logoth with a fluid ter'angreal (Gholam)... Will the corruption/evil of SL affect the Gholie and perhaps make it even more sinister, powerful, nasty.. When I think of it I'd like to think it would.

Imagine a near invincible creature that carries this "plague"... A very very bad deal for everyone and everything... Hopefully that won't happen and Mat will copy a LotR device: He will shove his medallion up the Gholam's pooper after it has said: "I am invincible. No Man can kill me!"... epic.

Archived