DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Was it just me or......

ravenfier

In TGH was there referances to two dif. types of shadow spawn that we dont see for a while, well one we see in the next book but the other we dont see till LOC. The first one is a Grey Man and the second is the Gholam.

I see the referance to the Gholam in Lord Barthans death seeing how he was found torn limb from limb in his bedroom much like Queen Tylin was.

So far the books do not tell who/what killed him.

The most likely candidates would be these (in no particular order):

-Myrddraal

I think you're underestimating the strength necessary to tear someone limb from limb. Myrddraal are stronger than they appear, but Trollocs have to strain to rip an arm off. A myrddraal could possibly tear off an arm, but it would never be able to rip a head off. A gray man would not even get the arm. Unless the myrddraal also used it's sword, the only options are the Gholam and a channeler.

You're not the first to suspect the Gholam of Barthanes' murder, given the similarity of his death - it has even been noted that as Rand's academy occupies the building that used to be Barthanes' manor, it might even be the same Gholam. Of course, it has yet to be confirmed, but if we do get confirmation that it was a Gholam, give yourself a pat on the back.

While I THINK it was a gholam, I will give a resounding NO vote to Grey Man.  They are just humans that are ignored - and use human weapons.

Had he been HACKED to pieces, then it's a possibility, but Barthanes was TORN.

Nope - not a soulless.

given he was torn asunder we can rule out weapons as the deed was done through brute strength or some representation thereof.  given this, I would say the two best candidates are either mr fun bags himself the Gholam or it was some channeler who apparently had a really bad hair day.~

Archived