DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Another form of Traveling...

Shadow Rider

I've always assumed that Ishamael's Traveling at the prologue of the first book was how RJ imagined Traveling when he wrote the first book. And that he changed his mind when he had to write more about it, several years later ...

As for Lanfear, I'd say she just turned invisible, using Folded Light. It's entirely plausible than she can also move without the light rippling, like it does with the weave Nynaeve and Egwene showed the Aes Sedai in Salidar.

I think Lanfear used Inverting, not Folded Light.

Folded Light makes people invisible.

Inverting makes weaves invisible (to others).

Lanfear herself was not invisible, her Gateway was.

except that min wouldn't be able to see the weaves whether they were inverted or not.

Min seemed to be able to see Rand's Gateways later in the series.

You're confusing the actual gateway for the weaves that make a gateway.

A Traveling gateway has a visual representation that can be seen by non-channelers.  A gateway into TAR does not.

A Traveling gateway has a visual representation that can be seen by non-channelers.  A gateway into TAR does not.

I think they both can be seen, although they look different. I'm sure I read somewhere a slight wavering or distortion in the air when a gateway to tel'aran'rhiod is created, and weaves wouldn't look like that.  It's unlikely many seeing it would be aware of what they were seeing though as TAR gateways typically just show another part of the current room (albeit it's the dream version) through them rather than a hole to elsewhere. So a TAR gateway would certainly be a good way for a forsaken to make a quick getaway.

I suspect a lot of the time they just used the mirror trick though.

I think Lanfear used Inverting, not Folded Light.

Folded Light makes people invisible.

Inverting makes weaves invisible (to others).

Lanfear herself was not invisible, her Gateway was.

except that min wouldn't be able to see the weaves whether they were inverted or not.

Min seemed to be able to see Rand's Gateways later in the series.

You're confusing the actual gateway for the weaves that make a gateway.

When Aviendha creates the gateway to Seanchan lands and Rand runs after her he channels to create a block to hold the gateway open.  When they return the gateway is gone but Rand sees some sort of weaves in its place.  When they jump through they end up back in the room and Asmodean explains to him that he made the gateway invisible.  A male channeler would be able to see those weaves because he didn't invert them, but the gateway would be invisible to anyone else.

Lanfear could have done this same thing, but inverted the weaves so not even those would be seen by other female channelers.  That would allow her to travel by gateway without anyone actually seeing the gateway.

As for the prologue to tEoTW and with Rand at the end; I felt the same way.  it is interesting to note though, that in the comic it clearly shows LTT walking through a gateway... but I'm pretty sure it doesn't show Ishamael using one.

Rand seeming to teleport could have been his confusion of what was happening simply causing him not to notice that the gateway was there.  Like when he Skimmed a short time later.  He sees the stairs, suspended in darkness, but he doesn't clearly notice a doorway.  He's standing the in valley, then climbing the stairs in darkness... but the stairs appeared while he was in the valley.  So that's how I explain it to myself anyway.  Individual results may vary.

When Aviendha creates the gateway to Seanchan lands and Rand runs after her he channels to create a block to hold the gateway open.  When they return the gateway is gone but Rand sees some sort of weaves in its place.  When they jump through they end up back in the room and Asmodean explains to him that he made the gateway invisible.  A male channeler would be able to see those weaves because he didn't invert them, but the gateway would be invisible to anyone else.

Lanfear could have done this same thing, but inverted the weaves so not even those would be seen by other female channelers.  That would allow her to travel by gateway without anyone actually seeing the gateway.

this is what I have always thought regarding unusual dissappearing acts.  that they actually left the area via gateway they made invisible to all.  the reason being that it sure does make them seem more powerful and mysterious to all the local yokels....vanishing into thin air...~

Archived