DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Another form of Traveling...

Shadow Rider

In the Prologue of TEotW the air wavers and Ishameal appeared.....in TGH when Min was comforting Rand after defeating Ishameal, Lanfear appears and speaks to Min briefly and then vanishes.....

What form of Travel is this?

Why aren't they still using it?

Are gateways a better form of Travel?

I'm not sure when the first use of a gateway is mentioned.

Alternatively it could be True Power traveling. I don't think we know much about how the True Power might accomplish that. Though that makes you ask the question "Why would Lanfear use the True Power to travel?"

I'd suggest the first one could be a TP traveling, but the second one is almost certainly folded light. The first one likely is as well.

It seems kind of indicative of using Folded Light (invisibility), where when you move there are "ripples".

I'd previously thought of (invisibility), but... when Ishameal appeared he looked around and grimmest (sp*) if he had been invisible he would have already seen what had happened and been oblivious to the scene around him.

She probably used folded light. There's nothing in that scene that describes what Ishamael does in EotW's Prologue. All she does is disappear, which is not the same as the air shimmering and coalescing into a figure.

[/quote)

So she became....invisible?

Lanfear went invisible on numerous occasions throughout The Great Hunt and The Dragon Reborn. She is not traveling with the True Power, nor would she. Only Ishamael was willing to use it except with great need. Just because Traveling with the True Power looks like the person is appearing through ripples in the air does not mean every case of people vanishing in the series means they are using the True Power - especially when we have an exact description of what happens when light is folded around something!

She vanished. She made herself invisible. If you want proof that she was doing it, look no further than the beginning of The Great Hunt when laughter and the sense of being watched follows Rand throughout Fal Dara Keep. Or look further to The Dragon Reborn when Egwene talked to her then started to leave, turned around and noticed she was gone. Or slightly before that when she did it in Mat's room in the Tower. Or at the end of The Great Hunt when she did it after speaking with Min. Hiding in plain sight was just what she did.

Something like that. But she didn't Travel with the One Power or True.

I think Traveled....not invisible....

If she Traveled, where was the doorway? At what point did she rip the Pattern open like what happens when you Travel with the True Power? When did the air ripple? Why didn't Min notice any of this?

Something like that. But she didn't Travel with the One Power or True.

I think Traveled....not invisible....

If she Traveled, where was the doorway? At what point did she rip the Pattern open like what happens when you Travel with the True Power? When did the air ripple? Why didn't Min notice any of this?

Why would she go invisible after speaking with Min?..... so she can watch someone else cuddling LTT? .... Why not just make a gateway and leave?

Listening to Winter's Heart, Ch 22: "Out of thin air"

I believe Ishy and Pixie Telamon were using TAR.  The descriptions fit, especially for a non channeler like Min.  The entrance to TAR would look exactly the same as the real world, they step into it, then the entrance closes and poof immediately "disappears".

I think beer rot has it right, but I have a similar question. In the prologue to TEotW, Lews Therin traveled, but thats all it says. It never says he made a gateway and went through it, he simply traveled. Then at the end, when Rand is holding the pure saidin from the eye of the world, it talks about him suddenly being in different places and there is nothing about him making gateways (iirc). So how does that all happen?

I think beer rot has it right, but I have a similar question. In the prologue to TEotW, Lews Therin traveled, but thats all it says. It never says he made a gateway and went through it, he simply traveled. Then at the end, when Rand is holding the pure saidin from the eye of the world, it talks about him suddenly being in different places and there is nothing about him making gateways (iirc). So how does that all happen?

as i said, no author's infallible.  it was the very first book of a possible trilogy.  he just hadn't thought it out that far yet.

I think Lanfear used Inverting, not Folded Light.

Folded Light makes people invisible.

Inverting makes weaves invisible (to others).

Lanfear herself was not invisible, her Gateway was.

i agree with beer rot, i think that he might of thought of traveling at the beginning like that but when he needed to move armies having a single person teleport does not really work.  So my vote is RJ did not have it worked out when he wrote EotW

except that min wouldn't be able to see the weaves whether they were inverted or not.

except that min wouldn't be able to see the weaves whether they were inverted or not.

Min seemed to be able to see Rand's Gateways later in the series.

Archived