DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favourite Book Title

Shadows_Edge

What is your favourite WoT book title and why?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite WoT book title and why?

• New Spring
    • The Eye Of The World
    • The Great Hunt
    • The Dragon Reborn
    • The Shadow Rising
    • The Fires Of Heaven
    • Lord Of Chaos
    • A Crown Of Swords
    • The Path Of Daggers
    • Winter's Heart
    • Crossroads Of Twilight
    • Knife Of Dreams
    • The Gathering Storm

The question says it all. Whats your fave book title and why?

My fave is The Gathering Storm. I thought this was a great title for the book because it not only signifies the approach of Tarmon Gaidan (spelling?) but also the growing madness going on in Rand's head leading up to the point on Dragonmount where he could have destroyed everything but didn't and we see the clouds above Dragonmount disperse signifying an end to Rand's madness and at least one of the dangers facing the world.

My favorite title is actually A Memory Of Light but since you didn't include that in the poll I went with The Fires of Heaven.

Likewise.

The Gathering Storm was a good one kivo. I assume you liked Winter's Heart aswell, because it's a similar sort of title-the world getting colder because of the approach of winter and the Dark One, etc, but also Rand hardening and becoming less human.

The Shadow Rising.

Which just happens to also be my favorite book ;) But that's not the only reason. The Gathering Storm is probably my 2nd favorite book, but I find that name to be about as generic as any in the series. While Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight, two of my least favorite books, are also some of my favorite titles.

No, I like The Shadow Rising because even the title captures the essence of what the book is. After the original trilogy of books TSR took things to another level, expanded the universe, and showed us things were just beginning. And that's what the title says in a simple but powerful way. You can read it as a standalone book, and it even has 3 seperate "happy" endings, but ultimately the book is about...well, the Shadow Rising.

I also just appreciate the sound of it. It could have been any number of lame or generic titles. The Shadow Grows or some such. The Shadow Rising just has a perfect ring to it.

Edit: I am the ONLY one to vote for book 4?! Well then, I say good day to you DM board...*hmph*

Lord of Chaos, it just seems to be one of the hugely recurring themes in the whole series, but also one not often thought about. The Dragon Reborn is screamed at you in every book, and the others are very vague. Don't get me wrong, I love every book and title, just stating my thoughts.

The Shadow Rising always seems derivitive from Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising.  Crossroads of Twilight for me, sums up the dying of the light, the important juncture (things can go one way or another) and that we're reaching a crucial decision point in the fate of the world.

Shame the book didn't quite deliver on all of that...

Archived