DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

This is the sound of me punching myself in the face.

JenniferL

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh crap!

I really loved the Chornicles of Dune. Those books ruled. And I've known since reading them about 6 months ago, that Frank's son was planning to finish the origional series, I was even interested enough to buy them when they came out, knowning it's not going to be anything fantastic, or what Frank probably intended.

But that description.... I mean bringing back to life all the main characters from the first Dune novel? WHAT A CHEAP RIP OFF!! Oh my god! I will not believe for a second that was Frank's original intention for the novels. Those Chronicles were about moving forward in time, not bringing back dead characters for a tighter ending! Duncan Idaho is one of the coolest science fiction characters EVER and the later books were about him. Bringing back Paul and the rest seems a stab in the dark at what the true genius was trying to achieve. It would have been much better had they just let the series rest after Chapterhouse. I do not plan to read these books any longer.

• 1 month later...

Kevin J. Anderson was hosting a reading from Hunters of Dune at Worldcon '06 in Anaheim, California. A whopping eight people turned up (wahey!). As they left, they found a queue of more than eighty people waiting for the next reading, which was George RR Martin reading from A Dance with Dragons. KJA looked mildly irritated and made some joke about not bringing enough booze with him before heading off (apparently a reference to the GRRM fan group's reputation for hosting the best parties at Worldcon every year). No-one thought to say, "Well, you could have written a decent novel instead." :D

I stood in Waterstones for about 20 minutes yesterday reading Hunters of Dune. It was, A) utter, utter garbage, and B) the 'big revelation' of who the 'Great Enemy' the Honoured Matres were running from, which Frank Herbert has left hanging for 20 years, has been utterly ruined by the Legends of Dune series. Cheers for that.

Archived