DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Crazy idea from a crazy person....

crazyone

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I had a thought the other day reading a passage with Olver in it. RJ has said in the past that Olver is important, but other that that all we get is a RAFO. I am just wondering, if RJ has managed to put himself in the story? Note the similarity between Olver and his real middle name? I know...it is crazy.....

Guest cwestervelt

RJ has put himself in the stories, but not as a character.

From RJ's blog:

For HotW-Moiraine, yes, the bearded man ter'angreal could be said to be my Alfred Hitchcock moment. In KoD, you'll learn what it does.

***possible spoiler***

Imho, Olver is Gaidal Cain....notice all the times he is described as never going to be pretty (aka a nice way of saying ugly) and Birgitte says Gaidal was spun out already. Some will say he was spun out after Falme...less than 10 years ago....but time in Tel'aran'rhiod does move rather mysteriously...

Guest Majsju
***possible spoiler***

Imho' date=' Olver is Gaidal Cain....notice all the times he is described as never going to be pretty (aka a nice way of saying ugly) and Birgitte says Gaidal was spun out already. Some will say he was spun out after Falme...less than 10 years ago....but time in Tel'aran'rhiod does move rather mysteriously...[/quote']

Not again *sigh*

RJ has officially stated that Olver is Not Cain.

Time moves differently in T'A'R, but never backwards.

Guest cwestervelt

Olver is not Gaidal Cain. Olver is something like 10 years old. Gaidal would have to have been spun out 10 years previously. He is still present in Tel'aran'rhiod when Elayne and Nynaeve first meet Birgitte. While time flows differently, it never flows backward. You can enter, spend a day and return to find that only minutes, or whole days have passed. Gaidal couldn't be more than a baby at best.

Guest cwestervelt
so now that gaidal has been elimnated ' date=' could it be hawkwing?[/quote']

It would be exceedingly difficult for Olver to be any of the Heroes/Heroines that were summoned to Falme. Not unless they can be summoned in spirit by the Horn while they are alive in the flesh.

• 1 year later...
Guest Dreadlord

I think Olver is just a kid, nobody special reborn or anything, just a boy, but he has a role to play, something that involves the Finns. Snakes and Foxes and all that.

Guest Dreadlord

Ah but the thing is, how would a child such as Olver discover the secret of the Finns? Mat is the sort that would question that.

I cant wait till Moiraine returns

Ah but the thing is, how would a child such as Olver discover the secret of the Finns? Mat is the sort that would question that.

I don't think Olver would necessarily be the one to discover it, but he'll be the catalyst via the game of Snakes & Foxes. All the rules are there... one can only win against them by cheating (breaking the pact rules that they made)

So Olver's role IMO, is to supply how to get into the Tower (already did it) and then to give Mat the idea of "cheating" to come out alive

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe another crazy idea from another crazy (Yes, I am all I'm waiting for is the doctor's paper on the Subject)

Who better than a child to beat the finns. Once your old enough to understand you cannot win a game without cheating the game isn't a game anymore.

But the faith of a child can be the way to beat the finns. Or innocence maybe.

Maybe another crazy idea from another crazy (Yes, I am all I'm waiting for is the doctor's paper on the Subject)

Who better than a child to beat the finns. Once your old enough to understand you cannot win a game without cheating the game isn't a game anymore.

But the faith of a child can be the way to beat the finns. Or innocence maybe.

good idea, but not gonna work, its written in the book (dont ask for book or chapter number) that it is a favorite childrens game, but children stop playing it when they realise they cannot win it without cheating. A child wouldnt think of cheating so it wouldnt work

I can't remember where I read it but RJ said that he wanted to write about the characters after AMoL. I would like to think Oliver will be a great general one day having grown up in quasi military army, maybe he inherits the  the Band of the Red Hand. Just because the DO is gone, it won't stop the evil in others. No one needs the DO for greed and power. Plus I am sure Oliver still has great passion for the Shaido.

I can't remember where I read it but RJ said that he wanted to write about the characters after AMoL. I would like to think Oliver will be a great general one day having grown up in quasi military army, maybe he inherits the  the Band of the Red Hand. Just because the DO is gone, it won't stop the evil in others. No one needs the DO for greed and power. Plus I am sure Oliver still has great passion for the Shaido.

Chances are huge that Randland will be a complete mess for quite some time after TG. Cain was spun out at a time that would see him get into action as a Hero about 20 years from where the story is now, and it is very possible that he will be dealing with the aftershocks of TG.

More than huge.  Foretelling level.  "The great battle done but the world not done with battles."

Trollocs and Myrdrral and other Darkspawn probably won't die off right away.

There are still going to be Darkfriends all over the place causing trouble.

Seanchan attempts to conquer the world will resume.

Archived