DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brandon Sanderson Adding character names

Shard

Just recently on Twitter/Facebook Brandon has said that he has recently added Andrew Sparks to ToM, the interesting part being that he isn't human. I thought this would be fun to talk about what race this person is from. I can't imagine an Ogier being named Andrew, I don't know if *Finns have names. Maybe he's a Nym, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doubtfully Ogier name.  Ogiers I take do not have surnames.

male names are expressed like this:  "_______ son of _______ son of _______"

female names like this:  "_______ daughter of _______ daughter of _______"

My guesses for the race would be these:

-Shadowspawn

-Seanchan exotic

That's sort of weird to have a name that is common in today's world.  Both Andrew and Sparks are relatively common and modern whereas almost all of RJ's characters have somewhat original names and not so modern sounding.

Doubtfully Ogier name.  Ogiers I take do not have surnames.

male names are expressed like this:  "_______ son of _______ son of _______"

female names like this:  "_______ daughter of _______ daughter of _______"

My guesses for the race would be these:

-Shadowspawn

-Seanchan exotic

What about Seanchan ogier, we have only seen one of them named, and it may not have been his full name.  In whether or not it's an ogier I doubt that it will be shadow spawn as they tend to have names in the trolloc language.  I am even more doubtful that it is a Seanchan exotic as the name seems to be intended for a sentient being and we have not heard even a hint of a sentient exotic.

Just recently on Twitter/Facebook Brandon has said that he has recently added Andrew Sparks to ToM, the interesting part being that he isn't human. I thought this would be fun to talk about what race this person is from. I can't imagine an Ogier being named Andrew...

Confirmation, no Ogier named Andrew.  Ogier named Bob.

Bob, the Builder.

What a horrid name.  I could live with Andrew, being we have a few other modern, if uncommon, names such as Gareth or even Rand.  Andrew Sparks sounds just awful though, especially for a new non-human character being introduced in the final arc of the entire series.  It might have been a worthwhile alias for a renegade Illuminator or something; but those are obviously human.

What a horrid name.  I could live with Andrew, being we have a few other modern, if uncommon, names such as Gareth or even Rand.  Andrew Sparks sounds just awful though, especially for a new non-human character being introduced in the final arc of the entire series.  It might have been a worthwhile alias for a renegade Illuminator or something; but those are obviously human.

this isn't directed just at you so please don't take it personally, but what about "the names will be changed to fit the story," don't people get? I'm sure that whatever these names go into the story as, the only people that are gonna notice are the ones who are looking for them.

this isn't directed just at you so please don't take it personally, but what about "the names will be changed to fit the story," don't people get? I'm sure that whatever these names go into the story as, the only people that are gonna notice are the ones who are looking for them.

Meaning, this name ends up being something like An'Duroo Sparek?

No, meaning the name ends up being something good, that actually works with the names we have seen so far.

That would only make sense as being from Shara. We have only seen a very limited few people from Shara. I only can remember one off hand. There was a scene in one of the many books where people were in a tavarn and one was described in such a way as it was clear he was from Shara. I think he was one describing that silk came from worms and some one was saying how stupid that was. I am sure there was another description of a man in similar circumstances who was described in such a way as to make it clear he was from Shara.

I can only guess that he is going to include some contact with some one from Shara. It may be an attempt to tie the entire world togather. The Seanchan know of the Dragon, and so do the Sea Folk. The only people seemingly outside of it so far are those from Shara and he may be tying them all togather now.

Unless of course as suggested its just a place holder for a name that will be based off of it and changed around for the book.

What a horrid name.  I could live with Andrew, being we have a few other modern, if uncommon, names such as Gareth or even Rand.  Andrew Sparks sounds just awful though, especially for a new non-human character being introduced in the final arc of the entire series.  It might have been a worthwhile alias for a renegade Illuminator or something; but those are obviously human.

No, meaning the name ends up being something good, that actually works with the names we have seen so far.

Like maybe Andrev?

So there isn't a Charles Guyborn?

I guess I should have been more clear I didn't care so much about the name and more the fact of "Not Human". So this could be an Elefinn or Alefinn for all we know.

I am even more doubtful that it is a Seanchan exotic as the name seems to be intended for a sentient being and we have not heard even a hint of a sentient exotic.

The guide seems to indicate that at least some kinds of them are sentient.

Though sometimes 'sentient' names are used for 'non-sentient' beings.

i thought the guy talking about silk was seanchan? I doubt they buy there silk from shara and they have silk so i assume they have there own supply.

I thought the "silk path" was in reference to the traders who crossed the Waste to get to Shara before they closed themselves off to everyone. I thought silk came from Shara. The Sea Folk I believe are the ones who now trade it and if I remember correctly even they have either been almost completely cut off from Shara or are also barred entrance. Perhaps they can only trade from the harbor? I don't remember it as having come from the Seanchan at all.

I read it as that the people in the regular lands thought silk grew on tree's and thats why the dude was laughed at for claiming it came from worms.

Andrew Sparks sounds too modern.  It's my opinion.  Even Rand and Gareth are a little bit old-type names.  Even Mat is Matrim, which is not normal (im my experience).  So that's my say, it sounds silly...think about the books, imagine yourself reading a couple of chapters and insert Andrew in there...?  I hope it's something like Andrev or at least an alternate spelling/sound  :P

i thought the guy talking about silk was seanchan? I doubt they buy there silk from shara and they have silk so i assume they have there own supply.

I thought the "silk path" was in reference to the traders who crossed the Waste to get to Shara before they closed themselves off to everyone. I thought silk came from Shara. The Sea Folk I believe are the ones who now trade it and if I remember correctly even they have either been almost completely cut off from Shara or are also barred entrance. Perhaps they can only trade from the harbor? I don't remember it as having come from the Seanchan at all.

I read it as that the people in the regular lands thought silk grew on tree's and thats why the dude was laughed at for claiming it came from worms.

The silk path is in reference to the trading route to Shara. And there is only one trading spot on the Aiel and Sharan border, located by The Cliffs of Dawn. And there are like 3-4 harbors that are used for trading. No one who is NOT Sharan are allowed beyond these walled in trading spots. Any who try are killed. The Sea Folk, Mayeners, Illianers, Tairens and such are still allowed trade by ship with the Sharans. They are just generally not allowed to cross the Aiel Waste, thanks mainly to that idiot Laman and retarded actions.

Archived