DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Aiel Relitives ?

White_star

I've been wondering this for a while  ???. Do we KNOW of any? Were there any Aiel mentioned that are of the same clan and/or sept as his father(I forget if Janduin's sept was mentioned)? In tLOC, Sulin called Rand her 1st brother but I don't remember any ceremony like when Aviendah and Elayne adopted each other.

Any thoughts?  :)

Typically, when a Maiden has a baby the baby is given to some couple to raise on their own and tradition has made it a private event and nobody is told who the real parents were.  Rand is the first "child of a Maiden" that the Maidens actually know; since they know he is the son of Shaiel.  This is why they all treat him as a relative.  They sort of see him as all the "lost" Maiden's children come back to them.

As for Janduin, we was of the Iron Mountain Sept and clan chief of the Taardad Aiel.  There is very likely some real relatives of his among the Aiel, but I don't remember any actually being spoken of.  According to the encyclopaedia, only two others from Iron Mountain Sept have been mentioned, both Maidens, and both in KoD.  There have been several other Taardad Aiel mentioned, including Rhuarc, the current clan chief. 

The possibility of Aiel relations certainly exist, but none that I know of have actually been mentioned.

For what it's worth, Janduin was clan chief of Taardad (Rhuarc's clan) from the Iron Mountain sept.  I'm pretty sure the only Aiel we see from that sept is a Maiden named Harilin.  She first shows up in LoC guarding his rooms, and doesn't come back until KoD.

Rhuarc is often mentioned as having a close resemblance to Rand, like a cousin.  Being from the same clan, it's entirely possible.

As for Sulin's remark about being a first brother, it's part of the complex that Aiel Maidens have regarding the first son of a Maiden to return.  The weird attitudes they have about him are mentioned many times, and it's apparently well embedded within their views for Sulin to actually call him that.

However, I can honestly say I don't think Sulin's clan or sept is ever mentioned.  So who knows what the deal is with her.

I recall something similar to this being discussed in the past.

The Maidens calling Rand brother (or son) I take comes from feeling him being closely related since his mother was a Maiden; not necessarily being blood related.

Guest BaLefireP

Wouldn't it suck if Avendia goes through Rhudean and finds out she is smoochin on her brother or cousin?!

*yes I know I spelled them wrong, sue me.

If that is how the story ended... It would be worth it for me.  :-X

Archived