DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What instrument do you play?

Rinkai

Primarily a vocalist, and guitar well enough to do it on stage.

Some knowledge of piano, bass, percussion, accordion, scandinavian bagpipe and mandolin.

I want to learn the violin and key harp, as soon a I can afford to buy that.

I play enough guitar to complement myself singing, made an effort since four years ago to learn it. Still getting better at it, recently, during the last half year, have gotten to play decent strumming patterns, some of the harder chords still give trouble. I only have a classical guitar, which I play like an acoustic one, so probably I should at some stage update it, but perhaps I'm still not good enough for that to be feasible or worth the money. Perhaps after there are no chords that would give me trouble.

I've been playing the drums for 12 years now. I play for a heavy progressive band called "Hello Newman."

I'd like the have/ learn to play the glass harmonica (greatest instrument ever). The coolest moment I've ever had was getting a silver medal at WGI world finals.

-Rin

I kinda play the piano.  The best that could be said is that I could have been great, but I was too lazy to practice.  I also played the trombone, I really wanted to start playing that again (after not playing for over a decade), but I found out my mom gave it away since I wasn't using it.

Seriously, Thorum? I play euphonium too! Low Brass in da house!  ;D

My main instrument is baritone/euphonium. My secondary instrument is the trombone. However being a Music Education majorm I had to get basic skills in most all concert instruments.

I had two years piano classes but still can hardly play.  :D

As for memories or moments... I was in marching band and marched in the Opening / Closing Ceremonies of the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games. I also marched in the Lord Mayor's New Year's Parade in London. We were the only group allowed to stop and play before the Queen.

I've played viola for about 14 yrs, piano pretty much my whole life, guitar for about 5 yrs, and steel drums for about 5 yrs. Viola and piano are my main instruments. I don't really have any cool experiences with them but I was on tv once for steel drums with my class for a competition :)

I played the piano when I was little, and played the French horn and alto saxophone for about 6 years but haven't touched those in many many years. Loved the french horn but it got a little boring sometimes!

I went back to playing piano and taking lessons a few years back (as an "adult" student), as a kind of stress-reliever hobby - I got a little carried away though and bought a fancy new piano and enrolled in a fairly rigorous piano studio. We had to play in front of a panel every 6 months to be judged and it was one of the most anxiety provoking experiences of my life! I had terrible performance anxiety - it was all classical music and every time I had to be judged my fingers would shake - so you can imagine how that would go... it was like being on American Idol but for piano!!! The worst part was, there were 6-year-old protegees who could play at about a grade 10 level, and they were competitive!!! One little girl actually stuck her tongue out at me just as I was about to go up for my last performance!

I ended up stopping the lessons and now I just dabble for fun ;)

To anyone not a musician, for me, learning an instrument was a bit late. I thought I could sing (probably could have had I ever practised it), and I'd listened to a lot of music, but I had not played anything up to 25. Anyway, there was this guitar laying about, so after a couple of years since I took it to myself, I decided I wanted to play something. So I learnt by playing tabs of songs I liked the most (at first the first song took 40 minutes for me to play all the chords). Now, and I mean by understanding music, I am quite a Mozartian, having listened to all his major compositions several times (over 50 hours), but it is very pleasant to learn to play something, even if it comes slowly. I hardly practice much, I find playing an hour one month makes me much better the next month: it takes patience, but it is about expression all the way, not any kind of must-do-this-and-must-do-that. But for me it is a matter of development. So in I think anyone can learn, though perhaps I have musicality in the family.

At higher levels, muscle development becomes more important. Thats when you have to start practicing strictly to get better. The same goes for timing and using a Met.

Basically, if you want chops, you have to push yourself.

-Rin

At higher levels, muscle development becomes more important.

I gather you don't only mean controlling your little finger... Well, I do sometimes wonder if there's special weights to strengthen it...  ;)

I can really only speak about drumming at this point, but yes, we have exercises that isolate just you pinky finger, and every other finger actually.

No joke, Jo jo mayer is a beast and isolates every muscle in your hand to increase speed. And Thomas Lang says that drummers need to be in top physical condition to have the stamina to play the instrument well (like a full body weight raining regiment.)

We spend hour playing nothing but straight 8th notes to have good technique.

When I studied music (vocals), I used to hang a lot with violinists. They were working their finges at pretty much any given opportunity. Looked quite fun, but I picked up some of the exercises, worked wonders for my guitar play.

Seriously, Thorum? I play euphonium too! Low Brass in da house!  ;D

My main instrument is baritone/euphonium. My secondary instrument is the trombone. However being a Music Education majorm I had to get basic skills in most all concert instruments.

I had two years piano classes but still can hardly play.  :D

As for memories or moments... I was in marching band and marched in the Opening / Closing Ceremonies of the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games. I also marched in the Lord Mayor's New Year's Parade in London. We were the only group allowed to stop and play before the Queen.

Nice... I was in a marching band also (at my parents' place), but we never had anything like the Olympics in Belgium :(. And it was a smallish marching band. The top-day was when we performed for the mayor of the nearby city.

I just had a crazy idea. Would anyone want to do a collaborative with me. Kind of like postal service, but could be any genre. If you intrested p.m. me. I just need to know your instrument and influential bands.

-rin

Archived