DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hello All...

featherxquill

Hello all,

My name is Angie and I'm from Sydney, Australia. I am currently a few chapters into 'Crown of Swords', and I have to say, the WoT is eating my life. This series is fantastic, absolutely brilliant and unputdownable.

I think I have a slightly unhealthy adoration for Siuan Sanche. From the first moment she stepped onto the page, I thought she was made of awesome, and I was only proven right by the events that followed in the next few books and how she handled them. I think one of the things I love most about this series is that it is absolutely full of strong women, both young and old. My favourite characters in everything are always older women, and there are just so many of them in this.

I read on Wiki something about the possibility of the WoT being made into films. All I can say there is I kind of hope not, the way Hollywood works, but if they do, I hope they cast every single one of the older Aes Sedai with actresses who are actually over the age of forty.

Anyway, hi, and I hope I can find a place to talk about what I've read so far without being spoiled for the rest, because I am absolutely bursting with wanting to talk about this series.

Also, is there much fanfic for this series? And if so, where can I find the good stuff.

Hello back...There is TONS of fanfic out there. This site should have some and a generalized search should net you a few other sites.

I have to agree with your preference of strong characters. It seems that some of my favorites are those who are hated most (i.e. Siuan, Graendal, Egwene, Sorelia et al) I have been reading the series since about Oct '93 and have not been able to get my hands on them fast enough.

Enjoy

CG

Hi there ;D

My name is Jeremy Steiner, i'm 33 years old and have been a fan of the Wheel of time since the early 90's

I started reading The Wheel of time when i was a freshman in high school which was about 12 years ago. I am a big fan of fantasy and scifi. I am new to this forum but not new to the world of the Wheel of Time.

One day I would like to see the series come out in the movies, i imagine it would be bigger than the Lord of Rings or the Harry Potter series.

My favorite characters in the series are Loial and Perrin :)

I wonder who would poduce the movies?

What do you think? Will we be seeing the Wheel of Time come to life in the theatres?

I'm Naked Frog and pretty new here as well. It is nice to see that I am not the only fresh meat.

Personally believe that this series could not be properly portrayed on the big screen. Their are too many inner struggles and a great deal of it's essence is in the thoughts. But then I could be wrong and if they did do a good job it would be absolutely amazing. I would write more in this but I have to go do something lol =)

Welcome to DM!

Personally, I think WoT is too big for the big screen. The series is going to be 14 books long - that is way too much for film. That is 14 years worth of filming at the minimum, and Rand et al. do not age that amount. Lord of the Rings worked as it was only 3 books and manageable. I don't think any form of visual media will do WoT any justice if you stick to the plot. Or you go down the Legend of the Seeker/Sword of Truth route - same characters, loose arc from the books, different stories in between.

There is a 50+ thread regarding the film in the Red Eagle Entertainment board on this site. Enjoy browsing the rest of the site as well! :)

Hello back...There is TONS of fanfic out there. This site should have some and a generalized search should net you a few other sites.

I have to agree with your preference of strong characters. It seems that some of my favorites are those who are hated most (i.e. Siuan, Graendal, Egwene, Sorelia et al) I have been reading the series since about Oct '93 and have not been able to get my hands on them fast enough.

Enjoy

CG

Thanks for letting me know about the fic! I'll have to check it out :). I guess I should finish reading all of the actual books that I can, first, though, to avoid spoilers.

Also, wha...? People hate Siuan, Graendal, Egwene and Sorelia? Whaaaaat? That makes me very sad indeed. Well, perhaps not Graendal so much, since I am rather indifferent to her at this point, though that of course may change. At the moment, I actually find Moghedien the most interesting of the Forsaken, mostly because it's completely unclear what her motives are for actually being one of them, and I find that intriguing. But Egwene? Why would anyone hate her? And Siuan is clearly awesome. She is fierce and clever and schemey and stubborn and she talks in FISHING METAPHORS, ffs. How could that not be awesome? *g*

*sigh* I find it kind of ironic that there is so much metafandom discussion about strong female characters, or lackthereof, in so many films/books/tv shows, but it sounds like when a series is actually full of them, people don't like them? I kind of want to go and find a discussion about this now, but I'm a bit wary of venturing too far onto those boards. I really don't want to read spoilers.

Welcome to DM! I'm usually a pretty good greeter, but I see you've got that covered, and I'm very tired, so I will come back to this at a later date and tell you how amazing everyone is here.. ;D

I'm Naked Frog and pretty new here as well. It is nice to see that I am not the only fresh meat.

SHHHHHHH! *whispers* We aren't supposed to tell them that until they get addicted to us!!! ;)

Archived