DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The swirling colours

I recall something similar being asked in the past; the thread might have been culled or is too old.

If Rand/Mat/Perrin, the visions seem related to their taveren nature.

If Rand/Moridin, their seeing each other seems to have been caused by their colliding balefires.

I agree with mb totally that thats the deal.

In the case of Mat and Rand and Perrin its sorta like The Pattern's way of allowing the boys each a way of keeping a mental eye on his fellow 2 ta'veren. Sorta a ''Ta'veren Telepathy'', if you will.

As for Moridin...it seeeeems to be a result of when Rand and Moridin's streams of Balefire crossed in Shadar Logoth that time.

Fish

I've always been of the mind that the swirling colors between Rand, Mat, and Perrin, was a function of the pattern on taveren, and essentially the fate of the world.

We know that for Rand to succeed at Tarmon Gaidon, both Mat and Perrin need to be there.  Throughout the series, we've seen them separate, regroup, and split up again more than once, but it hasn't been until recently that the swirling colors phenom has begun.

My theory is that since Tarmon Gaidon is so close, the pattern is attempting to bring the three back together.  When Perrin was in the Two Rivers living as a reluctant lord, just trying to live as simple a life as he could,  I remember he kept feeling Rand pulling at him, and eventually gave in and went to him.  As much as he tried to separate himself from Rand, the pattern just wouldn't let it happen.

I don't remember Mat feeling any similar pull (but I could very well be wrong.)  He wasn't really trying to estrange himself from Rand, but was rather trying to survive, and in the meantime happened to become a powerful tool for the Dragon Reborn.

Rand needed Perrin at that time, and the Pattern drew Perrin back to him as it saw fit.

Now all three are separated again, Mat is on the march, can't remember exactly where Perrin is, but with the last battle coming, the necessity of all of them to come together is of utmost importance.  Try as each of them may, they can't forget each other, or prevent themselves from thinking of each other, and this is the patterns way of making themselves very self conscious, and uniting them again.

I think that during the time Perrin is living in the Two Rivers and feeling pulled to Rand is (if my understanding of the timeline is correct) Mat is still with Rand. I'm assuming that he wouldn't feel a pull because he was there already.

I like the idea of the colours being the pattern starting to pull them back together. almost like The Pattern has set it's ta'veren to a higher threat level!

I recall something similar being asked in the past; the thread might have been culled or is too old.

If Rand/Mat/Perrin, the visions seem related to their taveren nature.

If Rand/Moridin, their seeing each other seems to have been caused by their colliding balefires.

I also have thought about these swirling colors. They all seem so dense when they refuse to see them for what they are: Randland MSN! And to close: The crossing of Balefire beams incident makes me laugh and remember what Dr Egon Spengler (GhostBusters) says about crossing the streams.. ;) It would be very very bad. Like the end of the Universe! :D

Ya thats exactly what I thought aswell. I posted it before as well and at the time I dont think any one got the reference. Funny  :D. Ive only just seen Zombieland ,it was kinda really crap but Bill Murray was in it and he was really funny as per usual. Kinda got me hoping for another ghostbusters. That and Towers of Midnight inside the next yaer would be awesome or great

But we know that the "tug" isn't ta'veren specific.  In PoD the all the red hands claim to have felt Mat "tugging" them.

The colors imo are the patterns way of letting the ta'veren know what the other ta'veren are up to.  Mat and Perrin both saw Rand and Nyneave when the Cleansing started and Perrin was able to puzzle out that the enormous amounts of Saidar/Saidin being channeled where in fact Rand and not one of the Forsaken.  Which kept him from Traveling there, which IIRC, atleast on of the Aes Sedai wanted to do and we know that that could have ruined everything.

• 10 years later...

But must we hear about the damn swirling colors 5 times in one chapter? WE GET IT! They see colors when they hear or think of each other, but dang son, you don't have to shove it down our throats EVERY SINGLE TIME. The repetition in these books is killing me.

The colors are obviously refracted light. When they see each other perhaps there is a sort of one way, light only, Traveling weave (not made of The Source) made of the pattern itself, the edges of which are not square, but rainbows.

I think Mat felt the tugging in Tear before Perrin left and he wanted to go with Perrin, but the tugging was too strong. Perrin may have felt the tugging just as strong, but he was too strong/stubborn to listen to the tug when his home was under attack. Only once the Two Rivers were safe, Perrin didn’t have anything to counter balance the tugging and he had to go. 

• 1 month later...