DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Darkfriend Wolfbrothers, is it possible?

metallicafan08

Ok not sure if this has been discussed (I couldn't find anything) but is it possible to have Darkfriend Wolfbrothers?

Now in TEoTW Eylas tells Perrin that he believes it is the wolves who choose a Wolfbrother, that is the reason I assume that at the start of the book all the Emonds Fielders are commenting on how many wolves there have been around that winter. And the same when the gang hear wolves howling outside Baerlon, they are keeping an eye on Perrin, is that how it works do we think? So if that is how it works then the wolves pick out Wolfbrothers, so that kinda makes me think it wouldn't be possible to have a Darkfriend Wolfbrother as the wolves wouldn't pick a shady character to be a Wolfbrother, unless they didn't know. We know of the hatred wolves have for Trollocs and Fades but they see all humans as indistinguishable so not sure how it works?

On the other hand what if a person is picked to be a Wolfbrother and then at a later date turns to the shadow would we then have a Darkfriend Wolfbrother? Or would the wolves somehow be able to sever the link?

Now this is all assuming that Eylas is correct about wolves choosing Wolfbrothers, i've been thinking about how else Wolfbrothers could be chosen and it would be interesting to hear what you think.

Is it possible that Wolfbrothers are chosen in much the same way that T'averen are? The patteren just pulls them out whenever it needs one? Or is it that a Wolfbrother is born with the ability in them, like a channeler and they just need the wolves to bring out the ability in them? Was Perrin always destined to be a Wolfbrother?

If the ability is always there then anyone could be born with the ability in them but if the wolves never choose them they will never know? Or they could be born with the ability but never come into contact with wolves, for instance an Aiel or one of the Sea Folk?

So given all this do you guys think it is possible to have Darkfriend Wolfbrothers, and are we likely to ever see any? Or on a last note would a Darkfriend Wolfbrother be able to communicate with Darkhounds???

Is it possible that Wolfbrothers are chosen in much the same way that T'averen are? The patteren just pulls them out whenever it needs one? Or is it that a Wolfbrother is born with the ability in them, like a channeler and they just need the wolves to bring out the ability in them? Was Perrin always destined to be a Wolfbrother?

This.

Which raises the question, can wolves sense that someone is a DF, and in that case, would they avoid contact with that person in order to not awaken the wolfbrotherness in them? Or seek out that person and tear him into tiny pieces?

I think that Slayer could be able to command Darkhounds, not that that makes him a Wolfbrother or anything, but rather, the shadow equivalent of one. I don't have any conclusive evidence, other than Slayer enjoys killing regular wolves... but there you go.

Likely, a regular Wolfbrother could be a darkfriend, as anyone could be a darkfriend. However, all wolves (minus darkhounds) seem to have a hatred for sightblinder. We haven't read about any darkfriend regular wolves, as far as I can remember. Therefore, I think that a darkfriend Wolfbrother likely would get himself killed, or at least shunned if the wolves found out about him.

Also, I'm pretty sure Perrin mentions somewhere that wolves can't distinguish humans from one another, darkfriend or not, except for Aes Sedai I believe.

Not sure if a wolf could detect a Darkfriend.  Not sure what they would do if they could.

There may be darkfriends that are wolfbrothers/wolfsisters (either from before getting the yellow eyes or becoming a darkfriend after).

There might be a chance that those might corrupt the wolves they communicate with.

somewhere it was indicated that a wolf who was caught by a darkhound could have its soul stolen to create another darkhound I believe, I am curious whether the same style of thing could happen to a wolfbrother

Elyas told Perrin about the wolf/darkhound thing.

Perrin speculated that later thing in same discussion.  If I remember correctly, Elyas was not sure about that.

somewhere it was indicated that a wolf who was caught by a darkhound could have its soul stolen to create another darkhound I believe, I am curious whether the same style of thing could happen to a wolfbrother

Elyas told Perrin about the wolf/darkhound thing.

Perrin speculated that later thing in same discussion.  If I remember correctly, Elyas was not sure about that.

Found the passage.

Crossroads of Twilight Chapter 8

The wolves were able to tell that Perrin was lying when he first found out what he was. Elyas told Perrin they wanted to know about the fades and trollocs before he even brought it up. I think they'd be able to tell right away based on the wolfbrother's thoughts, whether or not he was a darkfriend.

Regarding Isam leading darkhounds.. I was thinking Fain's distilling might be similar to the creation of a darkhound. They both seem to be able to sense their target's location, at least, and we have Fain being referred to repeatedly as the Dark One's hound. Not that I'm saying Fain was a wolfbrother, of course, was just a thought I've been having. If that's so, I can see other darkfriends (like Isam) being used in that way.

My guess is yes it could happen but there would be no humanity left in the wolfbrother similar to Noam in The Dragon Reborn.

• 1 year later...

Ok not sure if this has been discussed (I couldn't find anything) but is it possible to have Darkfriend Wolfbrothers?

Now in TEoTW Eylas tells Perrin that he believes it is the wolves who choose a Wolfbrother, that is the reason I assume that at the start of the book all the Emonds Fielders are commenting on how many wolves there have been around that winter. And the same when the gang hear wolves howling outside Baerlon, they are keeping an eye on Perrin, is that how it works do we think? So if that is how it works then the wolves pick out Wolfbrothers, so that kinda makes me think it wouldn't be possible to have a Darkfriend Wolfbrother as the wolves wouldn't pick a shady character to be a Wolfbrother, unless they didn't know. We know of the hatred wolves have for Trollocs and Fades but they see all humans as indistinguishable so not sure how it works?

On the other hand what if a person is picked to be a Wolfbrother and then at a later date turns to the shadow would we then have a Darkfriend Wolfbrother? Or would the wolves somehow be able to sever the link?

Now this is all assuming that Eylas is correct about wolves choosing Wolfbrothers, i've been thinking about how else Wolfbrothers could be chosen and it would be interesting to hear what you think.

If the ability is always there then anyone could be born with the ability in them but if the wolves never choose them they will never know? Or they could be born with the ability but never come into contact with wolves, for instance an Aiel or one of the Sea Folk?

So given all this do you guys think it is possible to have Darkfriend Wolfbrothers, and are we likely to ever see any? Or on a last note would a Darkfriend Wolfbrother be able to communicate with Darkhounds???

As to the question on whether wolfbrothers are spun out of the pattern, the same as ta'veren. I would say no.

We are constantly told through out the books that wolfbrothers are a old talent/magic. My guess is the age of the wolfbrother is coming again and once the last battle is won there will be an increase in men and women who can talk to wolves.

Remember that being a Wolfbrother is basicly the ability to talk to wolves. If the wolves dont like you, chances are you are pretty screwed.

Sure he can enter the wolfdream, but there are darkfriends who can do that as well. Pretty much all of the Forsaken seemed to be able to enter TAR more or less at will (or at least O cant remember ever seeing a mention that they need Ter'angreal to enter. Rather that they consider those rings the Aes Sedai use to be trinkets used for newbies who are not able to enter the dream on their own).

When Elyas said that the wolves choose the Wolfbrother, I thought more in the lines of a spiritual guide. Something from the Indian lore with totems and animal spirits and all that. When did we see Hopper start to help Perrin out in the wolfdream? I just have the feeling that Elyas just ment that a wolf will decide if (s)he want to be the spirit guide of the Wolfbrother / Wolfsister.

A bit like what we see in Harry Potter, where "the wand choose the wizard", and **Spoilerz** we see what happen to Voldemort when the elderwand don't want him as its master. It work against him.

Same with the wolves I would guess. If a Wolfbrother would become a darkfriend, I just think that the wolves would all attack or simply just ignore you.

hmm darkfriend wolf brothers, i guess since wolves hate darkfriends, that would be like this: Ok can talk to wolves but they hate darkfriends and want to kill you because they can read your mind, so wolves are always shouting insults to you and attacking you, so you'd be the exact opposite of Perrin and Elyas. You'd go wherever you can to get away from them, probably the biggest city that you could find, wax all your body hair, who knows. Unless there were wolves that sell their souls to be leader of a pack or something, so there not, so maybe ratbrothers would be most likely, and you could start the rat pack. No I think that's kind of silly.

I think it's been established through Q&A's that being a Wolfbrother is a soul ability. Like being a sniffer, or being able to see auras like Min. That being said, it's still a latent ability that needs to be "activated"--for lack of a better term--by an encounter with the wolves. It's quite possible, I suppose, to have the Wolfbrother ability born in someone who never actually becomes a full fledged Wolfbrother. If you live in a big city your whole life, for example, you might never have a meeting with wolves that will bring it out of you.

As for the question of a DF becoming one...I don't see why it's not possible. I don't think wolves can tell a DF on sight, or sniff them out. I don't seem to recall Perrin being able to notice Darkfriends on scent, but I'm having a hard time trying to remember if/when he's encountered any Darkfriends since he really became aware of how to use his abilities. I guess there was Ingtar. And Verin. I don't think he ever noticed a different sent to those two. Slayer certainly had a unique scent, but he's more than just a simple Darkfriend. So certainly I think a Wolfbrother could turn to the Shadow after becoming one, and I don't see that the wolves would know to not approach a potential Wolfbrother who was already a Darkfriend. There's only three Wolfbrothers we know of: Perrin, Noam, and Elyas, so we don't know exactly the protocol for wolves activating the Wolfbrother...ness...in someone, but I would assume they'd probably seek out any two-legs they knew who had the ability in them.

As for Slayer, I just looked it up in the RJ/BS interview database, and it's made clear he's not a Darkfriend Wolfbrother.

Dragon*Con 2010 interview, 9/4/2010:

Q: I've been kind of interpreting the Luc/Isam/Slayer as basically the dark side equivalent of a Wolfbrother. Is that totally off base?

Terez: Robert Jordan says so.

Q: It's totally off base?

Brandon: Yeah. ... He is unique. How about that?

Q: Okay.

Am I alone in just really hating on Perrin and the whole "wolfbrother" thing? Every time I come accross it in the books I cant help but imagine a big dumb guy with a mullett dressed in a "tennisse tuxedo" over a "three wolf moon" tee shirt thats been faded and worn because thats all he ever wears.

...Though, come to think of it, maybe only the power of a three wolf moon tee shirt could possibly protect one from the touch of the Dark One.

I am pretty sure Perrin was a wolfbrother because the pattern made him one at birth, not created by genetics but by supernatural mutation (now can it be passed on to his children? don't know)

When Elyas meet Perrin he told him he was lucky to meet another wolfbrother, did not sound like anything done by wolves?

Possible to be a darkfriend wolfbrother, but depending on your philosophy... If the pattern gives you this power because it wants you have this talent to do some task (or simply survive until the end of the last battle) then a supernatural mutation wolfbrother would by definition not be a darkfriend (tho since anything is possible in the worlds of IF (portal stone parallel universes) it would be possible in those faint improbable worlds)

Archived