DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Marta Alcair being tested (ATTN: MoN)

Marta Sedai

“Excuse me Accepted,” Marta asked nervously “I am here to be tested.” She had been searching the yard for a while, and this girl was the first Accepted she saw. “You want to be tested?” the Accepted asked suspiciously. “Yes, I do. Could you take me to the Mistress of Novices?”Marta replied wondering was she being clear enough. I knew I should have waited in that line. But, Light, it was so long! I am not waiting to be healed, or for an advice.

“Very well, follow me, then.” The Accepted muttered and led the way across the yard.

Am I doing the right thing? Father will be angry, I know that, but if I can learn… “How do you know you have to be tested?” the Accepted asked making Marta almost stumble. “I… My mother was a Novice. She couldn’t channel much so she was sent home after being in the White Tower a year or so.” She admitted and looked down. If that was to be the case with her as well, she would accept it, and go on with her life. But she wanted to learn. She needed that as much as she needed air. Surely her father would resent her at first, but by the time she became Aes Sedai, he would have forgiven her. She stopped her hand from touching her long light brown hair. I will not be nervous.“And what makes you think you have more ability than she does?” The Accepted asked slightly more interested. She was now observing Marta, making her feel even more nervous. “I have” Marta hesitated, “hope. That is why I am here.” She looked at the Accepted with her big green eyes. She tried to smile, but couldn’t.  

“I wish you luck then. Novices are always welcome around here. Here we are.” She stopped at a door. “Don’t forget you’ll be talking to an Aes Sedai. You have to be respectful, and do not talk unless you are asked something. Pia Sedai is kind, but she doesn’t tolerate rudeness or disrespect.” Saying that she knocked three times.

This is it. Oh, Light, help me get through this! Why didn’t I ask my mother more about that test?

Marta Alcair

Novice of the White Tower

Marta Alcair's bio

• 2 weeks later...

Pia Tovisen comforted the whippet of a novice seated in front of her as best she could. Her position as overseer of the White Tower initiates meant she often handed out correction and punishments, yet there were times when she also offered a shoulder to cry on, for those in need. It was disconcerting at times, Pia herself had never been one prone to tears or 'female' outbursts of emotion, yet to some of these girls, she was the closest thing they now had to a mother.

Offering the sniffling girl a handkerchief from her pocket, Pia patted the girl's back lightly, from where she was kneeling in front of her, silver skirts swishing softly as she moved. "There now child, dry your tears." She said softly, soothingly. The girl nodded, dabbing at her moist cheeks. She had been in the office now for some time, crying with homesickness, though now at least it seemed she was feeling better, her sobs subsiding. Pia could hardly recall the words she had spoken to soothe her, but they seemed to work as the girl mustered a shaky smile.

"Thankyou, Aes Sedai." The girl managed as Pia stood, awarding her with a smile as a tingling sensation passed over her, a sure sign that one of her wards had been set off. As if on cue a knock sounded on the door. "Off with you now girl." Said Pia gently, leading her to the door. Opening it, the novice dropped a curtsey and scurried past, leaving a bewildered looking girl and an Accepted in her wake. Not clothed as an initiate, the newcomer had the appearance of an outsider, a petitioner perhaps.

The girl merely gaped at the impressive Aes Sedai, her mouth slightly agape before she closed it with a click. Pia smiled, and it softened her severe features, giving her a more motherly appearance. She turned her dark eyed gaze onto the Accepted, brows raised in question. "She has come to be tested, Pia Sedai," she said after rising from a neat curtsey. Pia nodded and thanked the girl in her banded dress and dismissed her. Turning to the newcomer, Pia gestured towards the inner sanctum of her office. "Please, come in." She invited, allowing the girl to enter first, closing the door behind her with what must seem an ominous click. Motioning to a straight backed chair in front of the heavy wooden desk, Pia took her own seat behind it. "My name is Pia Tovisen, and I am the mistress of novices. Tell me how I may help you today child?"

~Pia Tovisen, MoN

OOC Sorry about the wait!

Marta stood at the door when they opened and a young girl came out. She had been crying. For a long time as she could see. What could make this girl cry so much? Her eyes were all red and face almost differently shaped from tears. The girl was dressed in a white simple dress. She must be a novice. She dropped a curtsey and almost ran away from the door. Did she do something wrong? I hope not, she does look nice. Maybe she had been teased about something, and it made her sad. Marta saw another woman standing at the door.

This must be the Aes Sedai Martha thought to herself and forced her mouth to close, which made her think she is such a silly girl. What is wrong with me? It is not like I never saw an Aes Sedai! They are in Andor all the time. You idiot, why did u have to open your mouth! She felt rather miserable, because there was no way to impress the Mistress of Novices now. Yet, Aes Sedai smiled, which made Marta look her a bit more carefully, and she noticed that the smile made her look motherly, and like a person who will always help you in need. She thought of her mother and how she is going to miss her, but the voice of Aes Sedai made her forget her thoughts and concentrate on what was going on.

"Please, come in." Aes Sedai told her, but Marta had obviously missed a part of the conversation that had just happened. Would you please concentrate? This is a one time oportunity! Don' dare you blew it! Marta entered the room, followed by the Aes Sedai.

She stood in front of a heavy wooden desk and waited for Aes Sedai to take here seat, which she did and looked at Marta saying "My name is Pia Tovisen, and I am the mistress of novices. Tell me how I may help you today child?"

Marta thought to herself that the woman could break a rock with mearly looking at it. Well, you won't be broken now! She opened her mouth and started.

"I... I am here to be tested Aes Sedai. It is my wish to become Aes Sedai if it is meant to be." She did sound a bit silly to herself, but she was not all that disappointed. It didn't sound that horrible. Why is my heart beating so fast?! This Pia Sedai won't bite me! Why am I being such a baby over this? Ha, because I am a baby. Oh light! I wish this were over fast so I can go on with whatever life has prepared for me!

Marta Alcair

Novice of the White Tower

Marta Alcair's bio

Pia gestured to one of the chairs in front of her desk. They were uncomfortable, but that was for a purpose. After all, those who spent too much time in them would deserve the discomfort. Those who did not were merely reminded of the fact that they should not misbehave, in order to avoid the discomfort that came with the chairs. The young woman, who had identified herself as Marta sat down. Pia folded her hands in front of her on the desk, and studied the girl intently for a moment. Not that she could judge if the girl would be worth anything just yet, but at least she would be able to see how nervous the girl was. Those who were most nervous often were the ones who wanted it most.

“Tell me, child…” She started, deliberately using the word child. She would become accustomed to it before she was raised to Aes Sedai, and Pia saw no point in shielding the girl from what would be her reality during the next twenty years of her life, if she turned out to be worthy of staying. “You have not yet been tested?” The girl shook her head, indicating that she had not been tested, or perhaps that she didn’t even know what the test entailed. Pia smiled reassuringly at the young woman, and opened one of the drawers of her desk. There was only one item in the drawer. A gray, clear gem that she had received from the former Mistress of Novices.

Slowly she rose from her seat, and walked to the other side of the desk. Though she was by no means the tallest Aes Sedai within the White Tower, she imagined that she must come across as being a giantess to the young woman sitting in the uncomfortable chair. She knelt in front of her, trying to relax the young woman a little. The test would be hard enough as it was without Marta being terrified of her. “Clear your mind completely, and focus on the stone.” She said. The girl did, staring at the stone intently. Time passed, and Pia worried that her arm would cramp up before the girl showed any sign of potential. Just as she thought there would be nothing, s light flickered within the stone. Pia smiled, and rose again. As she walked back to her side of the desk, she imagined she felt the surprise in the eyes of the girl as they settled on her back.

“Congratulations, dear. You can learn to channel.”

Pia Tovisen, MoN

Ooc: rp your reaction to finding out you can channel.

• 2 months later...

Marta sat on a very uncomfortable chair in front of the desk. Pia Sedai was looking at her for a while… Marta felt as if she was examined. I wonder can she see whether I can channel just by staring at me. Probably not, but why is she looking at me like that?

“Tell me, child… ”, Pia Sedai started, and gained Marta’s full attention. “You have not yet been tested?”

Marta wanted to speak. To say that she hadn’t, but the words wouldn’t come out. She shook her head in order to give a response. Oh, she will test me now! I wonder what she will do. She was very afraid, but in a way calm too, because Mistress of Novices was smiling reassuringly at her.

It won’t hurt you silly. As she thought she should ask whether it would hurt, Marta saw Pia Sedai approaching her. She was holding something in her hand. It was some kind of a gem. It was gray and clear, and Marta thought a bit… sparkly.

Pia Sedai knelt in front of Marta and said: “Clear your mind completely, and focus on the stone.”

Focus? On the stone? But… Why? Marta started thinking rapidly. Focus, focus. Well, thinking about it won’t make you focus you idiot! She cleared her mind with great effort. She was looking at the gem, trying to make it do something with her mind, but nothing happened. Time passed and then suddenly, Marta figured it out. You are not supposed to look at it and do nothing! She closed her eyes for a moment, took a deep breath, and when she opened her eyes she imagined a spark in the gem, and gem sparked. It was only for a split second, and Marta thought she imagined it. Then, Pia Sedai rose to her feet, and went to sit  on her chair again. She spoke:

“Congratulations, dear. You can learn to channel.”

“I… I can?” Marta felt a rush in her whole body. Before Pia Sedai could even respond, Marta rose to her feet, and almost started dancing happily. “I can channel. I can learn to channel, learn how to be an Aes Sedai. OH Light!” Marta, control yourself! A voice in her head made her calm herself. She sat back on the chair and looked at Pia Sedai. She had a kind smile on her face and her eyes had a little spark that wasn’t there before.

“I am sorry for that” Marta said. “I tend to be a little… well, I am calm now, and I sorry if my behavior disturbed you. What next? Can I start my lessons soon?”, Marta felt her voice calming down, but it was still a bit high as always when she got excited. She gazed at Pia Sedai waiting for her to respond and tell her what is the next step.

Marta Alcair's bio

• 1 month later...

Now that the girl had already been tested, it was time to make her stay at the White tower a fact. Strange enough, the testing didn’t mean that the girl looked any more secure than she had before about her stay at the White Tower. Even though she had to know, somewhere deep down inside of herself that she would be accepted within the White Tower. That she would learn to channel, to the best of her abilities. Still the girl shifted in her seat, as if she couldn’t quite believe that she would be asked to stay. Pia decided to relieve her from the tension that was building. She opened the book of Novices which was still in front of her. She picked up her pen, and prepared to write. “Let’s see about making your stay here a bit more permanent then, shall we?”

She didn’t have to look at the young woman to see that there was a change in the tension that had kept her in it’s thrall. “Can you tell me your full name again?” As the girl replied, she wrote it down in the book. Another life sealed to the Tower, for better and for worse. “And your place of birth and raising?” again she wrote, making Marta‘s stay more certain with every letter, every curved or straight line. “And finally your age.” She finished with a dot behind the age, which felt as heavy and important as any signature from any high lord or lady. “Welcome to the White Tower.”

Pia Tovisen

Mistress of Novices

Ooc: rp your char’s reaction to being written down in the novice book.

• 2 months later...