DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why does Else avoid Mat like the plague in TDR?

Caar One-Hand

Indeed. Else goes to tell Egwene and Nynaeve that the things the Black Ajah left behind are being held for them to look through. Egwene runs after her because she is worried Else will blab, and instead runs into Lanfear. Lanfear dismisses her, then leaves, and Siuan later tells Nynaeve that all the things the Black sisters left were burned, and that Else had been sent home two weeks prior.

Which, chronologically, is before Mat ran into her. So yes Else was Lanfear in a wig.

The thing I've been trying to figure out is WHY she avoided him.  It can't have been fear of the lasting effects fo the taint, she'd already visited him in her true form.  And it can't have been fear of him seeing through her disguise, she was so out of character by doing what she did that almost anything else would have been more natural...  I don't know, just something that's bugged me since I connected it back on my second read through...  Your thoughts?

The thing I've been trying to figure out is WHY she avoided him.  It can't have been fear of the lasting effects fo the taint, she'd already visited him in her true form.  And it can't have been fear of him seeing through her disguise, she was so out of character by doing what she did that almost anything else would have been more natural...  I don't know, just something that's bugged me since I connected it back on my second read through...  Your thoughts?

She didn't know how well he knew Else. She risked exposure, so she avoided him.

That just doesn't seem to fly with me, she made NO attempt at ANY dissembling whatsoever.  Besides, with what Mat knew of the OP, he wasn't about to suspect anyway.  And the way Lanfear behaved for Elayne and co. implies she knew enough of both voice and mannerism to fool most people.  A though occurs to me however.  Lanfear is using the mirror of mists to look like Else, which means she is definately taller then she looks, so if she knows anything about Mat's temperment, she might fear him getting a tad too close and discovering that there is a tall, beutiful Forsaken hiding behind the pretty little novice, so it may have been a matter of avoiding any revealing contact with a rouge and a scoundrel. 

That just doesn't seem to fly with me, she made NO attempt at ANY dissembling whatsoever.  Besides, with what Mat knew of the OP, he wasn't about to suspect anyway.  And the way Lanfear behaved for Elayne and co. implies she knew enough of both voice and mannerism to fool most people.  A though occurs to me however.  Lanfear is using the mirror of mists to look like Else, which means she is definately taller then she looks, so if she knows anything about Mat's temperment, she might fear him getting a tad too close and discovering that there is a tall, beutiful Forsaken hiding behind the pretty little novice, so it may have been a matter of avoiding any revealing contact with a rouge and a scoundrel. 

That's exactly it. She didn't know if Mat was going to run up and give good ol Else a big huge and mess with the illusion. I thought this was made pretty obvious by the author because Lanfear's words and actions were geared towards Mat not getting close enough to touch her.

Archived