DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Moiraine Take the Sun Throne (Cairhien)? (New Spring Spoiler)

rubbernilly

I remembered an interesting piece of information while listening to the audio book of New Spring.

During her test to become Aes Sedai, we get a glimpse of Moiraine's rank. She sees a dress striped all the way down the front, in the manor of the high ranking lords and ladies of Cairhien (even though the dress itself was a year out of style). She also thinks at one point that in Cairhien there are very few people who can give her orders.

Most importantly, after she passes her test and is raised to the shawl she tells Suiane that she fears the Hall intends to put her on the Sun Throne (remember, this is just after the Aiel war, when King Laman had just been killed). In fact, after the Amyrlin Seat (Tamra) died "in her sleep," the new Amyrlin agrees to release Moiraine from her duties distributing the bounty (for new mothers--remember, this was the cover for gathering names of potential Dragons)... but she tells Moiraine that she shouldn't leave the island, because they will soon "need" her.

All of that establishes Moiraine's bona fides as having a claim to the throne. Of course, she fled the responsibility (and the island) at that time so that she could continue hunting for the Dragon on her own, but the strength of her claim is still there. She still has the power of house Damodred behind her.

Now look at the people who would have the Sun Throne. Rand wants Elayne to have it, but in her mind, she needs to press her claim the old fashioned way: bloodlines. Instead of taking the throne as a gift or taking over the country by force, she intends to claim the throne by right of blood. Meaning that if Moiraine were in the picture, they would at the very least be playing the same game, and Moiraine's claim should be stronger than Elayne's.

Obstacles she might face...

...Caraline Damodred, current high seat of the house. Though she seems to have come around regarding Rand, and if he supports Moirain...?

...older sisters, Anvaere and Innloine, who could have a stronger case if they wanted to press it

...her father... is he still alive?

I'm sure there are other obstacles, but if she wants it, I have to believe that Rand wouldn't say 'no' to her just because he wanted the throne for Elayne. He'll probably feel like he owes her seeing has she heads his list of women that he killed.I doubt whether Elayne would object, given everything Moiraine has done... especially if Egwene and the White Tower supported Moiraine, which I think they would: having one Aes Sedai Queen is wonderful; having two is incredible.

Imagine Moiraine and Thom, side by side, navigating the currents of Daes Dae'mar in the Big Leagues of that game--Cairhien. I don't know if it would happen before the Last Battle, but I wouldn't be surprised if RJ/BS laid down hints and indications that this is exactly what will happen once everything calms down again.

Some main series scenes indicate that Moiraine has not changed her mind since New Spring; mainly her comments about house Damodred.

She probably told Rand during her off-screen discussions with him that she still did not want the throne.

Before Rand chose Elayne, he chose Morgase.  The reason for choosing Elayne probably was he believed Morgase dead.  One reason for choosing Morgase might have been Moiraine not wanting the throne.

If Moiraine changes her mind, Rand might allow her to make a claim.

I think, by design and by intent, you won't see an Aes Sedai on a throne apart from Elayne in the series.

It is an interesting issue, and one I hope they at least acknowledge at some point after Moraine's return, even if its just her dismissing the idea.

That I can completely buy. Both the wanting to have Elayne stand out in the series, and the need to at least address it. I mean, come on, if the Hall wanted to put Moiraine on a vacant Sun Throne once, there will be some who will want to do it again. It should at least occur to people like Rand, Elayne, Thom... maybe Egwene (via Suiane, at the very least)...

Doesn't really matter if she gets the throne or not, but it would come up in conversation, i think.

There has never been a full sister on the Sun Throne, right?

What if, there never will be?  What if Moiraine was burnt out (stilled) in her falling through the red door ter'angreal?  She would come back as a non-Aes Sedai, possibly.

She might "retire" from the White Tower to marry Thom (Aes Sedai rarely marry) and begin her career taking her "rightful" place back in Cairhien.  She might be Healed, she might not.  Even if she is, she might not re-swear on the Oath Rod.  And if she has been stilled, she was released from the rod, and the "agelessness" might have faded much like Siune and Leane.  She might look young-enough to start playing out her bid for the throne.

A "young girl" with all her expierence combined with the Silver Fox, an expert at the Game, might make a formidable force for the Throne.

What about Elayne and Morgase?  I don't know.  I think Elayne is being setup for the throne, honestly.  It is her "right" more than any other's, and all the foreshadowing says that she is regal enough to handle herself there.  So, most of this is probably silly speculation.  Elayne will probably be Queen.

However, it is fun to take waky threads and see where they lead.  It is possible a non-Aes Sedai (she could even retire into the "Kin") could sit on the Throne.  It would even give her the drive to replace the Power, if she were stilled (before she learned about Healing, anyway).

Archived