DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

hello, i'm new and need a little help!

Veritas

Hello everyone i am new to your forums and the WOT series. I started reading Eye of the World just 2 days ago. I'm only on page 104 but i am already hooked. I found your forum and i love it, it seems like an awesome comunity.

My question is, is there a place i can go to talk about what little bit i have read, or ask questions without bothering those of you who are way past where i am?

for example: I am currently wondering what in the world is the Aes Sedai?! i am sure the book has explained it but i think i missed something and i cant find a description anywhere.

Thank you for any help :)

Well, there's the Eye of the World re-read thread at the top of this page, though a lot of the people reading it have read it before, and there are spoilers in it.

The website http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/ is a terrific source FULL of all the information you'll ever need. Though since this is your first read, I'd try and stay clear of the chapter summaries because the footnotes on those pages will tie things from the first book all the way to the last book. BUT it does have character listings, listings of all the organizations, objects, towns, theology, and everthing else. It can answer anything, just be careful not to look ahead of where you are.

As for what an Aes Sedai is, check the glossary at the back of the book. That should explain it very well, and you'll get a better idea as you go.

Guest Egwene

Hi Veritas... congrats on finding this brilliant series!

It is difficult to answer your question as finding out more about Aes Sedai is an integral part of the story. However, if you post any thoughts or questions of yours on this thread, we will try and help you without spoiling the story for you.

javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Wink

... in any case... countless sleepless nights later, you'll be up to date soon enough :wink:

Thanks for all your help everyone! this community is great! I am very happy and lucky to have found it and this series of books. I have just One more question though!

Is it normal to be very very confused in the begining and not know what a lot of things are? and be confused about some characters? Or should i go back and re-read everything i have read? I still have no clue what the aes sedai is, and i know i will learn more about them, so i am not worried so much about this, but other things are so confusing! Is this book confusing for a lot of people in the begining? Thanks for the help everyone. :)

I think it's quite normal to be confused, and that won't stop while you read onwards, there'll be new things. It's one of the things that makes this series so great, you notice new things with each reread. The rereads are part of the experience. But I think you should read the book through before rereading, enjoying what you do know at that time. You'll never know it all, and there's time for rereads say between books. Many of us who've been reading for a while already have a habit of rereading the series before each new book, I suggest you do rereads in a similar way. That way you have time to speculate what happens next, and pick up stuff you missed on the last read.

yeah its pretty normal to be confused, if you understood everything bout the series by 100 pages into the first book youd either be a genius or RJ, so i wouldnt stress. as an aside, ive read the series a fair few times (prob around 8 i think) and i still pick up on things that u miss the first times round, little things that link from say something in book2 to something in book8 or whatever, makes it very exciting. and in regards to aes sedai.....theres probably as many opinions about them as there are people in these forums, but by about book 2 or 3 i think you should understand what theyre like

Confused you might be but that is the first sign that you are addicted. I can honestly say that I have re-read the series about 3 times this year. I have come to the conclusion that I won't ever come close to understanding everything or even getting all my speculations addressed unless i have RJ face to face for a joint read through so when something does come up i can just ask him. Since that isn't going to happen i am content to post random questions and read the theory threads here. Now as far as you re-reading i would strongly suggest that you read all the way to KoD the 11th book before you even think about re-reading tEotW. With that said don't under estimate any of the charicters that RJ brings into the books, because even though they might seem small at first, or even in the first book they are brougt up in they usually have a signifigant role in later books. That being said have fun enjoy and good luck!

Hey don't worry Veritas, we were all a bit confused at some point in time I'm sure.

I mean, when I first came across the phrase "Red Ajah" in Book 1 I thought it was some kind of disease :oops: .

Dah well, I believe there's a glossary at the end of the book so don't worry if halfway through you forget something about the societies, concepts, etc. You might want to pay close attention to each character though. Some minor ones may turn out to be really important. For one, pay CLOSE attention to Masema (sp?)he's important later on...

Archived