DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Fires of Hatred

Blackhoof

Pherno trudged through the ashes of the small village that he had just obliterated, wishing vehemently that there were more of them to burn. They had laughed at him when he had claimed to be an emissary of the Great Lord and had refused to pay tribute! Well, he had showed them, oh, yes, he had showed them good... now they were nothing but ashes and bones. Every man, woman and child in the 100 house villiage had been burned, seared, blasted or torn to shreds by Phernos' weaves bof the Power. Oh, how he hated them. Not just them, but the whole world. Always laughing, always teasing, always hating! Well, they learned, yes, they did.

Pherno looked around at the charred remains of the houses and villagers. One less village to destroy once the Return came. The Great Lord would let Pherno burn as much as he wanted, once he ruled, oh, yes, he would, it had been promised! He would show the world what he could do! He would BURN! Engulf the world in glorious, purifying flames! Burn! BURN!

With a start, Pherno realised that he had unwittingly opened a gateway, walked through it, and now was looking at another village, teeming with life. With an evil grin and a maniac laugh, Pherno began walking towards the village, preparing several nasty weaves and singing his favourite song.

My whole family, they all burned,

And the woman, my love she had spurned,

I kill and burn, but i'm not done,

I'm just trying to have some fun.

My fiery wrath, they will learn,

The worlds destiny I will turn,

No one can stop me once i've begun,

I'm just trying to have some fun.

The fire and lightning, that I hurled,

The power I called, it destroyed the world,

The Power was mine, the strength of the sun,

I'm just trying to have some fun

As Jon's tornado set he and Pherno down, he saw an old man in a gleeman's cloak gathering up some juggling equipment and stepping through a gateway.  Silently to himself, he offered a prayer of thanks that the old geezer would be spared having to witness what was about to take place.

Jon didn't have a clue how to control his new-found power of wishing.  He definitely had not planned on learning to channel the One Power when he grew up.  And he surely had no intention of asking Pherno the psycho to teach him.  He was on his own.  Well.  Sort of.  He still had his instincts to guide him.  And, he had practiced the Way of the Leaf for all of his life.  Some might not see this as being a tactical advantage but Jon knew different.

Watching the tornado dissipate, Jon faced Pherno and gave him a dose of his own medicine.  "Live by the sword, die by the sword.  Pherno hates water poured from a gourd.  If I really want to get him, I'll reach into his brain.  I'll make him imagine that he's drowning in RAIN!!!".  Jon pointed at Pherno's forehead, closed his eyes, and wished that Pherno would think that he was slowly filling to the brim with water, one rain drop at a time.  Jon whistled the tune to "Rain drops keep falling on my head" for emphasis.  ;D

"Never piss off a Tinker.", Jon goaded. >:D

Jon knew that his time was at hand.  Soon, Pherno would break through the spell that Jon was using on him and then Jon would awaken from the dream.  He hoped.  He most definitely did not want to become a weapon for Pherno to use against the Light.  Better to awaken.

This had to be the hand of "Justice" in action.  If only Jon had not been so weak in his youth.  He should have had faith that the Pattern would lead him down a happy path.  How could he have been so stupid as to believe that he could gain peace by pledging to the Dark One?  Well, all of that was old news now.  He had to prepare to face the consequence of the foolish choice that he had made so long ago.

"I just wish that I could meet the Creator first.  I need to apologize.  Things must be set right.  My rebirth will never be pleasant if I awake from this dream without redemption.".  Jon had been talking to himself with his head hung and his eyes closed.  Something tugged at his brain to raise his head and look behind him.  There was something there.  It looked like a dimly lit mirror.  Only the reflection was not of him and Pherno.  There was an older man sitting in a chair wearing strange clothing.  He seemed to be concentrating on something in front of him.  His fingers tapped away at a flat slab of something with bumps sticking up.

"Walk through the gateway, Jon.", came a voice in the back of his head.  He was sure that he had not heard the voice before, yet it was somehow familiar.  He knew that he could trust the voice.  He also knew that the gateway that the voice referred to was the mirror with the old man in it.  After only a moment of hesitation, he complied.

Jon looked back to where he had came from.  Pherno was still in the trance that Jon had induced.  Only now, it appeared that Pherno was in the mirror.  With everything else that had happened recently, Jon accepted all of this as being the Will of the Pattern.  He turned to look at the stranger.  "I am Jon.  Who are you?".

"You asked to meet the Creator.  Well, I'm not "THE" Creator, but I am YOUR creator.  If not for me, you would not exist.  I made you.  Actually, you are a product of my imagination.  I also created the gleeman that you saw collecting his things.  And the other members of your group of wagons.  I created all of them."

:o

"Impossible!!!", Jon screamed.

:o

The creator considered for a moment having Jon run and dive back through the gateway but that would be too simple and boring.  Besides, it's getting late and the creator has to go back to his own reality and get ready for work.  Perhaps tomorrow will see Jon and Pherno locking horns once again...or perhaps, not.  ;D

Pherno frantically unravelled the strange weave that Jon had thrown at him, and the vision of drowning disappeared. Gasping with relief, he saw Jon stepping through a gateway to face him. Pherno raised his arms and flames engulfed them. Pherno hated water! He HATED IT! "How dare you challenge my will! Now, you, i am forced to kill!" With that, Pherno swept his arms forward and a massive fireball was sent flying towards Jon.

For a brief instant, Jon's instincts almost sent him scurrying to try to avoid the fire ball.  But, then he remembered his visit with the crazy old man who claimed to be his creator.

He had seen many wondrous things on the other side of that mirror.  The old man could put a cup of water into a box, push some buttons, and in a short time the water was steaming hot!!!  With NO fire!!!  He had a box with a window on the front of it that had small people performing what the creator called commercials.  It also sometimes would show some people slamming into one another.  The creator said this was a sport called football.  Thankfully it didn't last long between the commercials.  The creator lived inside a building that was like a palace.  It had a special room just for getting clean and relieving one's self.  And several rooms just for sleeping.  A common room.  A room for cooking.  It was like an inn but only served the creator and his wife.  Such extravagance.

The creator lived where it was cold.  Maybe near the borderlands?  Some place called Michigan.  Outside his mansion the ground was all covered with snow.  Jon had taken just a few steps outside before quickly going back inside.  The creator's palace had been comfortably warm even though Jon hadn't noticed any fireplaces.  He probably heated it with magic.

The creator had visited with Jon for quite some time.  He insisted that Jon was part of something called RP that the creator did for enjoyment and to get attention from other creators and from people who read the creations.  Jon could not fathom how any of this could be true.  The Pattern did not work that way.  One thing that Jon and the creator had both agreed upon was that Jon should not become a dreadlord.  His association with the Dark One had been accidental and should be forgiven.  Given the opportunity, the best path for him would be to awaken from the dream and then to await a rebirth and a fresh start with hopes that Trisha would be in his next life.

Now, Jon was faced with an approaching fire ball.  His instinct told him to run and live to fight another day.  His visit with the creator and his own desire to get out of his predicament caused him to stand fast.  Showing courage in the face of the awakening that was only possible if one had a strong belief in the Way of the Leaf, Jon accepted what must be.  As the flames engulfed him and his flesh began to snap, crackle and pop forming blackened globs hanging from his skeleton, Jon managed one last triumphant smile as he remembered that he had wished that whatever happened to him that day would also happen to Pherno. >:D

Pherno laughed maniacaly as Jon was engulfed in flames. Jons scorched corpse sagged to the ground, and as it did, Pherno noticed that Jons untouched face bore a triumphant grin, how strange. Pherno turned and began opening a gateway, but then suddenly his black boots sprung into flames, and Pherno jumped in shock. hopping around frantically, he tried to extinguish the flames wth the power, but they resisted, and soon the fire spread up his legs, engulfing half his body. Screaming in agony as the flames spread up his torso and reached his armpits. This coudn't be happening, it couldn't! There were no weaves, where was the fire coming FROM! I am Pherno, i cant die, i cant! i was promised immortality, IMMORTALITY! An eternity of firey destruction! NOOOO!

Pherno raised his arms and called out to the Dark One, the Creator, the One Power, anyone who would listen, calling on them to save him from his ironic demise. As the flames engulen his arms and licked at his hair, Pherno cried out, and for the first time i over 60 years, didn't rhyme. "This cant happen, I am Pherno, the Burner, the Incinerator, I AM PHERNO!" Soon he was nothing more than a raging fireball, and the last thing he saw before the darkness overtook him was the triumphant grin on Jons face.

OOC:  I'm surprised.  I thought Pherno would find a way to undo Jon's weave.  Or, maybe he would wake up from his nightmare?  Maybe the Great Lord will give Pherno a nice new girl's body?  ;D

Glancing through the gateway to the spot where he had juggled earlier, GrandpaG searched the scorched earth for his favorite throwing knife that he thought he might have dropped here while performing.  Sure enough.  There it laid over yonder.  He stepped through the gateway to retrieve it and noticed two freshly charred bodies nearby.  One of them appeared to be smiling.  Wishing a speedy rebirth for both of them, he snatched up his knife, put it back into it's secret storage place, and stepped back through the gateway to Rhuidean.  He took one last glance at the scene of senseless violence then let the gateway snap shut.

Pherno opened his eyes, and he saw that he was floating in an endless expanse of blackness, punctuated with thousands upon thousands of gently moving stars. Pherno found that he had no body, and could move if he willed himself to. this must be where the dead wait until they are reincarnated. Pherno was furious, and desperately tried to escape, and return to life. I cant die! Not ME! I am Pherno! I am DEATH INCARNATE!

After a few hours of raging soundlessly at his ironic fate, Pherno saw an immense shadow approaching him. Somehow, it was darker than the surrounding blackness, it was thicker somehow. Frantically Pherno tried to escape, but the shadow caught him, and he felt himself wrenched from the void.

Pherno opened his eyes, and this time, instead of blackness, he saw light. He was in a cavern, bathed in red light. With a shock, he realised that he was in Shayol Ghul, in front of the pit of Dhoom. "PHERNO" A voice sounded that Pherno knew was the Great Lord. "YOU HAVE SERVED ME WELL. AS A REWARD, YOU HAVE BEEN SAVED FROM DEATH THIS ONE TIME. IF YOU DIE AGAIN, I WILL NOT INTERVENE. YOUR KNEW BODY IS REMARKABLY SIMILAR TO YOUR OLD ONE IN HEIGHT, HAIR AND APPEARANCE. I BELIEVE IT WAS A RELATIVE OF YOURS. NOW, GO AND SERVE ME, AND YOU MAY EARN A PLACE AMONGST THE CHOSEN WHEN THE RETURN COMES, IT WILL COME SOON, VERY SOON."

Pherno prostrated and promised the Great Lord that he would serve, and that he was eternally grateful, the latter being largely a lie. Exiting Shayol Ghul, Pherno contemplated how he would serve better, and earn the right to be reborn again.