DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

24 - Season 8

Majsju

The Jack Bauer we all love is back. Two episodes in, he has already gotten into trouble with the local police, as well as the new director of CTU.  ;D

New season takes place in New York, focusing around the UN. Nice with a change of location, but I am not quite sure what I think about the new CTU. Bit too fancy and hi-tech.

Oh my, Renee is doing her best to out-badass Jack ;D

Four episodes in, it has hit quite a pace. And we still have Logans reapparance to look forward to. And possibly Tonys, bringing back Logan should increase the chance of that happening.

• Community Administrator

I don't get whats so great about 24...

Not that I watch the show, and while it'll probably 'be' a good show, after you've played every splinter cell, every Syphon Filter, ect I can't help but think that Jack Bauer's got jack on Sam Fisher.

Well, if you believe videogame characters can be compared to real acting, there is nothing I can do to help you understand what makes 24, or any series good.

Just goes to show how little you konw about video games. ;)

And the main point is, those two games I listed, 24 totally copied those games... :P

Well, aside from the fact that Splinter Cell is more about 'stealth' but not so stealthy as MGS.

But Splinter Cell and Siphon Filter plots are all about 'terrorists', 'bombs', and 'assassination plots' involving all that jazz.

Any everybody knows that plots about 'terrorists', 'bombs', and 'assassination plots' were created by those games. Sheesh, don't don't you know anything Maj?

Missed the point Silver.

ITs like sword of truth.

People say they copied the hell out of WoT.

Wot copied off of Lotr, ect.

Comparitively, SPlinter Cell/Syphon filter are the most 'recent' stories that actually fit 24 closer, than say, James Bond, Bourne, or those other movies with terrorist/bomb/assassination plots.

What they have in common is simply, the characters are alot alike in every way. And the stories all both lead you in one direction, and lead for a massive twist at the end.

They also employ heavy use of double agents in various of the 'series/seasons'. And at this point in the game its hard to say who's copying who.

But Splinter Cell/Syphon Filter existed first, Ergo, 24 stole from them. Justl ike Splinter cell stole from its predesors.

and my orignal point stands.

Jack Bauers got jack on Sam Fisher.

sam-fisher-conviction-1.jpg

24%20jack%20bauer%20beard.jpg

Told you, she is trying to out-badass Jack ;D

I think her storyline might be one of the more interesting this season, she is clearly still in a very dark place. And since it is 24, there are no guarantees there is some kind of redemption waiting for her on the other side. Just look at how Tony turned out.

• 2 weeks later...

24 kicks off the last season with a bang.

Renee may have sawed a guys arm off, but it'll be hard for her to beat Jack sawing off a guys head.

Jack's Badassedness: 98.6

Renee's Badassedness: 2

Numbers are based on mine own opinion.

Love 24, but they need to kick it up.  Who thought Renee was going to die?  Not me.  Would have been awesome if they had, though.  I was crossing my fingers.  Oh well.  Always hope.

~ DSage

Doesn't like Redee Walker-Texas-Ranger

I have to say, I really prefer Vladimir (Callum Keith Rennie) in Californication, his character is so much more awesome. 

Renee is getting on my nerves, but I can't put my finger on why.

I'm almost caught up, just have to watch this weeks episode on the ol' dvr.

Jack is still awesome.

Dana Walsh sucks, but her ex-boyfriend rocks (he was in Jericho)

President Hassan's brother still looks like a pedophile (and the guy in Chuck)

Well, Vladimir is quite a minor character. The moment you saw him, and his base of operations, you knew he would be gone within a few episodes. 24 can be quite predictable.

I am starting to like Cole more and more. Perhaps we finally get a head of field ops who will actually be there for Jack throughout the entire season. Ok, Curtis Manning was great until Jack had to shoot him.

Dana should just get shot. But then, I do have faith in the writers, so I still hope she can get some kind of redemption. Something like McGill in season 5, though not too similar as that would mean CTU getting attacked yet again, and that is something we can do without.

• 4 weeks later...

Hm, almost seems like we are headed towards a mid-season finale, where the IRKs role in the crisis will end. Especially when considering that Charles Logan is supposed to appear around mid-season. Since it is not yet decided if a 9th season should be made, it could make sense to tie this in with Alan Wilson. Even if he is in prison now, his co-conspirators would be more than interested in a massive strike against the Middle East. But perhaps that is just wishful thinking from my side, as I want to see the Wilson-thread followed up (which could bring a small appearance by Tony, woohoo! ;D)

Less excited y the damn Dana-story. Almost got my hopes up it would have ended when her ex and his pal died. Should have known better.

• 3 weeks later...

Right now I am so pissed at myself for not seeing that coming from a mile away >:(

However, the way it was revealed makes me wonder if we have seen all there is, or if there is even more to come. And yes, I am sort of still hung up on what I wrote in my last post.

Wilson was csught in season 7, but since we have heard absolutely nothing about that, I am leaning towards him having managed to keep his mouth shut, despite Renees torture (That she almost killed him strongly indicates she is not very good at extracting information through torture).

So his partners should still be out there, and we know they are far from shy of causing a bit of mayhem if it means them increasing their power and profit. They helped the Russian nationalists in season 5, they had a few fingers involved with the nukes in season 6, they came close to releasing bioweapon on US cities in season 7...A dirty bomb in NYC resulting in a massive US strike against IRK, very much according to their MO.

Now, who would have the strongest reason to get Dana as a mole? The IRK opposition wanted to assassinate their own president, and smuggle the nuclear rods to the IRK. That Dana had to be activated was only because those plans blew up. And those plans only blew up because Jack got a warning out of the blue.

Would it not make more sense if Dana was out into play by someone who knew the oppositions first plan would fail, so that they had to fall back on the contingency plan, ie a dirty bomb?

And I must say, it would be a lot easier to accept that Wilsons gang managed to get a redneck with a criminal record into CTU, than the IRK. Even when looking at CTUs history of being infiltrated ;D

Hm, Danas comment about having been ordered to help the terrorists, but not wanting to blow her cover doing it, combined with her objections to actually use the "bomb" kinda supports at least part of my theory, the part about her having been planted by someone other than the terrorists.

Other than that, starting to follow a very typical 24-formula. Lets see, even season = nuclear threat. CTU has been hit. CTU has been infiltrated. High ranking officials are plotting against the president. If someone mentions 25th amendment, I will puke a little ;D

Have you seen confirmation on the movie? I have only seen Kiefer talking about wanting to do it, as well as the producers. A movie at least Kiefer wants set in Europe (how awesome it would be if it forced Jack to hook up with the German agent he cheated in season 4 ;D)

I find it a bit odd that they would go out and confirm it now, since there has always been on the table to have Jack killed, once they hit the final season. Already confirming a movie would tell us he does survive. Unless they g for a movie starring someone else, like Renee or Tony instead of Jack, and that seems extremely unlikely, it would simply not be 24 without Jack.

That said, I think the movie will happen. Big screen or telly? Depends on how much money they can raise, and how good the script is. If it turns out something like Redemption, it will definitly be for telly.

Archived