DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Darkfriends, Shayol Ghul, and rewards

Taura-Tierno

I got to thinking the other day, about darkfriends and rewards and stuff. It's mentioned in the books that darkfriends (Black Ajah, anyway) are rewarded for good service.

"Last night, Talene received an order to appear tonight before their 'Supreme Council.'" Her mouth twisted around the words in distaste. "It seems that happens only if you're being honoured or given a very, very important assignment. Or if you're to be put to the question."

- Knife of Dreams, Prologue

Is it mentioned anywhere how darkfriends are honoured, if there are special darkfriend rewards? Or is just "You did good, the DO is pleased and you'll be immortal upon his release" / "Good work, here's money, spend it" / "Now who do you want us to kill to promote your own success", and that kind of stuff?

Another thing I wondered about. Aside from the Forsaken, do we know of any other 3rd Age Darkfriends than Fain who have visited Shayol Ghul? We know Alviarian has not, and that she was impressed with Fain for having been there. I suppose that a visit there would be either a severe punishment, or the greatest reward possible, depending on your perspective.

I always thought Isam must have visited Shayol Ghul and that his power over TAR was some sort of reward. He notes in his PoV that immunity to poison wasnt something he had been given, but that makes me think the abilities he does have were some sort of encouragement for doing what he was meant to or whatever.

Archived