DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The "I Just Watched..." Thread

Red2111

Watched Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day last night.  It was definitely disappointing (and I knew it would be) for multiple reasons, number one being that they made a sequel to one of the coolest and most badass movies of all time.  Troy Duffy (who directed) has definitely gone off the deep end and thinks he is the absolute Sh*t.  He thinks he is so awesome, and that mindset reflects everything about BS2.  The dialogue is quite often ridiculous and over the top, the acting was over the top, the situations were over the top, and many defied all of Newton's laws.  It was immediately obvious that Duffy wanted to make BS2 funnier, manlier, and awesomer than the first, and he failed in all but the funny.  yes, this movie was funny, but in a "good lord this is so cheesy! kind of way.  The supporting character/sidekick this time around was this weird Mexican guy who provided most of the cheesy comedy, and while he wasn't as good as the Russian "David Della Roc", he was still pretty good and he was funny.

Anyways, I could go more in-depth, but I won't.  It was good, not great, not as good as the first, and too over-the-top to be really good.  I would still suggest you watch it, especially if you liked the first one.  7.5/10 (just because it's the Saints)

I watched A Serious Man tonight.  It was written and directed by the Coen brothers and was pretty weird.  I realized watching it that it probably was a really deep movie, however it wasn't communicated to me.  To my eyes, it was a black comedy that was only occasionally funny, and even then it wasn't laugh out loud funny, more like brief chuckle funny.  The main character is this Jewish professor who just gets crapped on by life.  His wife wants a divorce, his son is a discipline problem and marijuana smoker, his daughter steals money from him, his brother lives on his couch, and his teaching isn't going well.  The movie had some interesting views on religion, life, and perception.  I liked it, but probably wouldn't watch it again.  6.5/10

Zombieland was awesome! Really enjoyable.

Just watched Rob Zombies Halloween 2. Not as good as the first one, it lacked the realism of the first, I didnt understand the supernatuaral stuff in this particular horror style. Nevertheless if you are a horror fan its worth watching.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the Halloween franchise and

thought the first one Rob did was pretty good except

for the vulgarity. The second was just horrible in my

opinion. Maybe I'm old fashioned but the f word loses

its significance after being used 20 times in the span

of 3 minutes.  :D

I mean, I'm not saying that it offends me or anything.

It just means more if someone is walking through a dark

room and gets scared...then says it. That makes it seem

more realistic. I know a lot of people that do not cuss

normally but upon being scared will cut it loose momentarily,

which makes it even more hilarious because you never hear

them says those things.  ;D

Last night I watched Departures which was a Japanese film about a cellist named Daigo who moves back to his hometown after  his orchestra dissolves.  He becomes a nakanshi, or "one who prepares the dead for burial".  His wife and neighbors think it's an embarrassing profession and makes him unclean.  However, Daigo finds a quiet peace in his work and finds that he enjoys life more than he ever did before.  The music in this film is magical; Joe Hisaishi did a terrific job of scoring the film using a string-based orchestra.  The film is beautiful to look at as well; in fact, the only downside to this film was perhaps a little cliched storytelling, but we can forgive the Yojiro Takita for such a beautiful film.  Overall, I highly enjoyed Departures and I would highly recommend it.  9/10

Tonight i watched Saints and Soldiers which is about 5 soldiers behind enemy lines, trying to get vital information back to headquarters.  Set in winter of an unspecified year during World War II, Saints and Soldiers was filmed using washed-out color and simple, uncomplicated shots.  Faith plays a large part in this movie; the main character (if there is one) is a Christian dealing with his demons and trying to find his way home to an expecting wife.  And since there's a strong Christian, there's an atheist character that challenges him all throughout the movie before having a change of heart at the end.  This movie was beautifully shot, and I can't complain about the acting, but the movie attempted to give a message of faith and hope, and maybe put a little too much in there.  However, I did enjoy this movie, and I wouldn't call it a "Christian" movie; just a war movie with strong Christian elements.  Overall I give it a 6/10 for looking good and an entertaining plot.  Also, the movie was shot for under $1 million, which is quite a feat (especially considering how well the director did with such a shoestring budget).

I watched Coraline tonight and I have mixed feelings about it.  I wasn't that impressed with the visuals and the animation kind of bothered me.  Also, I'm not a huge fan of surrealism; and while this movie wasn't a surreal movie, it came too close for my taste.  It was really creepy and it sure creeped the hell out of me.  However, the plot was interesting and kept me entertained, even though the rest of it wasn't that appealing.  So, I'm not sure about what score to give it, but I'm thinking a 5/10.

It rained all day, so I watched Bank Job with Jason Statham, Saffron Burrows, and few other people I don't know.  It was a halfway decent heist movie.  I guess I'm used to Statham in Guy Ritchie movies (which I much prefer).  I thought it was all-around mediocre.  I wasn't really impressed by anything.  5.75/10

Watched Avatar tonight with my pops in 3D.  I really wasn't that impressed.  Sure, it looks good, but the only scenes I really was blown away by were the night scenes with the glowing stuff.  I found myself laughing several times and thinking "I can't believe that just happened" when something utterly cliche occurred such as the female Na'vi getting a ride from that Pandoran panther thing.  The music wasn't that great, I guessed every plot "twist" about 15 minutes before it happened, and I even got a little bored.  I also felt like there was no turning point for Jake's character, no point where he really chose to side with the Na'vi; it almost felt like he was part of them all along and was only tricking his marine commander.  Apart from that and the weird hair bonding experience, it felt exactly like Dances with Wolves combined with a Star Wars: The Phantom Menace last battle scene without being as good as either.  Also, it was seeing this movie that made me decide that I don't like 3D and I would much rather see a movie in good old-fashioned 2D.  7/10

I'm so glad this movie didn't win best picture.  Also, I probably won't buy it on dvd.

One movie I watched recently was The Uninvited. The film is based off of a Korean horror called Two Sisters. Normally I hate it when we borrow another countries story, much like The Ring, The Grudge, and Saw, for well known examples.

I did watch the movie before finding out it was a remake, so it thankfully didn't hinder the movie watching experience.

It's hard to tell about the movie without giving too much away, so here goes.

The film is about two young girls who lose their mother in a tragic accent, and aren't pleased with their father's new girlfriend who also happened to be their mother's nurse as she was suffering from a fatal illness. During the summer after seeing frightening visions, the girls begin to uncover the mystery behind their mother's death.

There is a lot more that happens, but I'd hate to give it all away.

I typically don't watch this type of movie, so for me it was full of surprises and a plot twist I wasn't expecting. Of course going back and watching it a couple of more times helped with finding hints being dropped everywhere, but I'm a noob when it comes to watching horror/suspense.

Over my Spring Break I watched a boatload of movies, and reviewed a few earlier (Bank Job, Avatar).  I also watched The Usual Suspects and was blown away.  I love the way Singer directed this movie; the movie starts with a scene of a ship exploding and then cuts to real time with Kevin Spacey narrating the events leading up to the incident to cops.  The movie was very well acted with a great cast: Stephen Baldwin, Kevin Spacey, Benicio Del Toro, Gabriel Byrne, and Kevin Pollack.  I can honestly say that I didn't see the twist coming until a few minutes before it occurred, and that made it all the better.  It was well written and I really enjoyed watching it.  5/5

I just watched "The 4th Kind" for the second time this week.  I'm still freaked out! 

It was the mix of actual video tapes of the real life people and the actors that has me on edge! 

I'm not a big UFO nut by any means.  As a scientist, I keep an open mind and look at evidence before making any conclusions. 

I have always thought there was a possibility of "aliens" but I have never seen any real evidence of it, so it always remained just a possibility with me.  I wish I knew exactly which parts of the film were dramatizations and which were actual video tapes from the original evidence.  I'm going to watch it again and try to figure out what is actual videotaped evidence and what is just movie drama.  Either way, the story is very compelling. 

I have an open mind when it comes to "aliens."  We, of planet earth, have gone into space how many times now since the 1960's?  Is it not conceivable that other intelligent beings have done so?

What makes me somewhat believe that other intelligent beings are more advanced than us is this: 

Religeon and laws have held back scientists here on earth in the past.  Look at the history of Galileo!  He was just pardoned for his "heresy" against the church in the past few decades, even though he was entirely correct regarding astronomy.

On 31 October 1992, Pope John Paul II expressed regret for how the Galileo affair was handled, and issued a declaration acknowledging the errors committed by the Catholic church tribunal that judged the scientific positions of Galileo Galilei, as the result of a study conducted by the Pontifical Council for Culture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei

If religeon has held us here on Earth back several hundreds of years, then what is to say that other cultures, on other planets have not been held back at all?  Our Earth is still dominated by religeous based systems.  What if other worlds are dominated by science based systems?

I truly believe that in all the infinity of the universe that there are other solar systems with other planets, with other intelligent beings.  Some may be held back by religeon-based systems.  Some may be in the middle, like our world is--struggling between religeon and science--and some may be more advanced and be entirely science based.   

I watched The Wolfman with Benicio Del Toro and Sherlock Holmes.  Both were good, Sherlock Holmes the better of the two.  I had heard not great things about Wolfman, but I actually enjoyed it; I loved the cinematography, it was dark, mysterious, and full of shades.  The movie looked really, really good and authentic late 1800's.  I'm very glad I saw it; it was very entertaining and I don't think I got bored at all.  6.8/10

Sherlock Holmes was really good; I love RDJ (mancrush worthy) and I was pleasantly surprised with Jude Law.  The score was great, the cinematography was good, the plot definitely kept me entertained as did the performances.  Rachel McAdams was unbelievably attractive (which is all I need).  8.5/10

Watched The Blind Side last night.  It was about what I expected: a feel good story where everything turns out good for everyone.  The real reason I went to see this movie was because Sandra Bullock won the Academy Award and I have been trash talking her ever since, but I felt un-legit because I hadn't actually seen the movie.  So, now that I've seen her performance, I can accurately give weight to my beliefs.  Her performance was very easy; all she had to do was be sassy and cry a little bit - there was not much technicality to her performance.  That said, she did do a good job, and it was probably the best performance I've seen from her.  I will say that she probably deserved a nomination, but no way she deserved the Oscar.  I still say Carey Mulligan should have won.  Anyways, back to the movie.  It was decent all around, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing it again, but I wouldn't go out and rent it on my own or watch it by myself (more likely with a girl on a couch with a fire going).  It kept me entertained though and made me laugh a few times.  6.7/10