DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Big Day Out

Ashaman DeRouge

For those Aussies that are attending, go you!

Which show? Excited? Wish they'd release the damn schedule already?

I could not be looking more forward to seeing The Mars Volta and Muse, and there are about 30 other acts that I will cruise through during the day. I am not looking forward to Central Station at 1am on a sunday morning though!

I'm not Aussie, but I saw Mars Volta a couple years ago in Calgary when they opened for Chili Peppers, they rock! And they fill the stage up with roughly 2.4 million instruments and musicians! I've never seen Muse live, but that would be sweet, they are really good. Damn you Australia, I'm guessing this is some Music Festival, which rarely happens around where I live. *grumbles*

Its a yearly music festival that is pretty much the highlight of the season. It -always- has 2-3 huge international acts, some big national names and a fair sprinkling of local talent.

Mars Volta are beyond awesome. I'm just disappointed they only get an hour's stage time, thats not enough enough time to play Francis the Mute live! And yeah the stage set up they bring is intense, banks and banks of effects, computer guys, very cramped. But awesome!

I've seen Muse when they toured Black Holes and Revelations. Just beyond good, really. A Must see.

Where abouts are you hailing from, Leatherleaf?

I'm going to the friday Sydney show. It's going to be insane--straight up I have over 30 friends coming with me. We're gonna start with Temper Trap I reckon (saw them tonight by the way, they are insane. For such a mellow band they make a damn good performance). Might have been nice to make it in for Miami Horror, but they're up at 11, then nothing good till Temper Trap at 2:30. Prefer to save my energy--besides I'll be seeing Miami Horror when I go see Pheonix.

After that Passion Pit. Saw Eskimo two years back, so worth the mix up. Then the Decemberists, Dizzie Rascal and Lily Allen. Marz Volta, Powderfinger (or more probably take a bit of a break), Muse (you know they're bringing a full frickan orchastra. I saw 'em for Black Holes, and for BDO two years ago--can't wait to see the Resistance) After that, if we have it in us, we'll probably check out Peaches coz no one can do filthy like her.

Then home and pass out.

What about you, what's your line up?

I remember hearing Knights of Cydonia live for the first time last tour, being blown away, and now they come back with Knights squared.

Mars Volta have never disapointed me either.I hear thier touring band is pretty stripped down this time, and from what I've heard of the latest album it could be true.

Line up?

Sheesh lemme go look...

11:00am Miami Horror/just chill/check it all out

12:15 Tame Impala. I need to hear more of these phsycadelic fuzz rockers

1:00 eat / chill / get away from kisschasy

2:30 temper trap

3:15 probably passion pit, but whatever

4:00 girl talk or hilltop hoods

5:00 maybe dizzee rascal, maybe juggers, maybe chill

5:35 rise against

6:00 lily if I get my rise against fix satisfied

7:00 mars volta

8:00 run away from powerdfinger. maybe phrase

9:10 Muse.

10:30 watch fireworks or go to fear factory/groove armada

If I can be bothered, I have a window to go laugh at Magic Dirt and how irrelevant they are nowadays.

oh saturday show by the way!

Hey DeRouge, I'm from a city in southern Alberta, Canada, near Calgary. I saw Rise Against open - along with Anti-Flag and Moneen - for Billy Talent, and I would argue that Rise Against stole the show. I hope you guys have a good time! Hey, is this festival outdoors or inside? I might have to convince my wife that we should come to this festival next year (if it's an annual thing?), because it's winter up here and freezing! It was -30 C out the other day, and a couple weeks ago it was -50 with windchill, I wish I was in Australia...

Luckily, a buddy is getting married to an Aussie chick and they are moving back to Sydney, so I actually might have the opportunity next year to go. In the meantime, I'll brew in my jealousy of your warm festival weather...

Yeah the temps here are avging 35c daily its pretty hot, and yes, the BDO is an outdoor festival, though it does have some indoor acts and indoor stages such as the boiler room. check out the bdo website www.bigdayout.com

Its an annual festival that does a few national shows each january, the Sydney show is held as close as possible to Australia day. It just goes off, I would so travel internationally to see it.

It's also known as the Big Day Off, basically everyone in the country is doing nothing but bumming around or binge drinking or drug taking, and no one seems to care what goes on.

Its powerful, man!

basically everyone in the country is doing nothing but bumming around or binge drinking or drug taking, and no one seems to care what goes on.

And how is that any different from any other day in Oz? ;D

It's got an official sanction.

Archived