DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Omnibus question

brnforce

Has there been any word on an Omnibus version of AMOL?  I have emailed Brandon about this but have not received a response yet.  I have not/will not purchase any of the three final books unless there is a "true" final book.  I will probably extend this to a full Tor ban but I don't know yet. 

Just trying to see if there has been any word on this.

;D  I've thought about the duct tape idea. 

I understand it'll be a while.  I'm not hard to please.  If they were to come out with an omnibus in the correct order from the notes I'd buy both the omnibus and the three separate books.

You hear that Tor!!!!!!  You could make $$$$  Come on!  Let your greed give me what I want.  ;D

They won't be releasing an omnibus. It would be impossible to bind, which is why they split the book in the first place. As I recall they said they will release a box set once all three are out, but there won't be any change in the sequence of the story.

It is NOT impossible, don't drink the Kool-Aid.  A box set of the murdered/rearranged books is not acceptable so I guess I'll never know the end of this story.  That stinks :(

EDIT: to add

I would have even been okay if they would just chop into volumes where the end of the first book was the end of a chapter and they all go together as one story.  To change the order of things????? 

Meh, you all can enjoy your ruby encrusted dagger, I'll enjoy my integrity.

It is NOT impossible, don't drink the Kool-Aid.  A box set of the murdered/rearranged books is not acceptable so I guess I'll never know the end of this story.  That stinks :(

EDIT: to add

I would have even been okay if they would just chop into volumes where the end of the first book was the end of a chapter and they all go together as one story.  To change the order of things????? 

Meh, you all can enjoy your ruby encrusted dagger, I'll enjoy my integrity.

I don't think they're necessarily changing the chronological order of events. From what I've read of Book 12, it seems as if some chapters were left out and will be in the next book, but Book 13 seems as if it may start for some characters at some point in the middle of twelve. Not that all characters got ignored, but to delve too deeply into their character arcs would have driven book 12 to be far longer than it was, and it's already tied for the second longest book in the series.

I hope that makes sense. Even if there have been chronological changes, they've been approved by Jordan's primary editor, his wife, and his close friends. It really will be a shame if you let this get in the way of the ending. Brandon's done an amazing job for taking over a world that's not his own. Judging from your attitude, it seems as though the fact that it will be in Brandon's style alone will ruin the series for you, which is another pity.

And for your information, Brandon did want to write it as you suggest. He was a very big fanboy of Jordan. Both Harriet and Tom suggested he do it the way it's being done.

It is NOT impossible

Do you have any understanding of publishing? Atlas Shrugged was 645,000 words. Already tGS and what Brandon's written of ToM exceeds that, and thats less than two thirds what aMoL would have been all up. tGS was over 300,000 words. ToM will be quite a bit larger, and I can't see aMoL being short. Your talking at least 900,000 and more probably well over a million words.

Whatever RJ's intentions, the books would have been split even if he had lived. It is simply impossible to bind a book that large.

And it's not like RJ hasn't had books chopped in two in the past. Books he intended to be one, but realised were simply too big. tPoD and WH were originally meant to be one, as were CoT and KoD.

I would have even been okay if they would just chop into volumes where the end of the first book was the end of a chapter and they all go together as one story.  To change the order of things?

Your way would have resulted in two books without anything really happening, and a final book with just a bunch of conclusions made boring by too much anticipation, and having too much clumped together. Is that really what you wanted from the end of this series? Personally I prefer to maintain the integrity of the storytelling--which is to say, setting up the books in the best way to tell the story. I read WoT for enjoyment, not as an expression of idealism.

A box set of the murdered/rearranged books is not acceptable so I guess I'll never know the end of this story.

I guess not.

Luckers, here's a link you should check out: http://www.amazon.com/1000-page-books/lm/R1K3HXIP8FIS9Z

This is just a list by a random person, there are MANY other books that have already been printed that are as big as AMOL would have been. 

"Your way would have resulted in two books without anything really happening, and a final book with just a bunch of conclusions made boring by too much anticipation, and having too much clumped together. Is that really what you wanted from the end of this series? Personally I prefer to maintain the integrity of the storytelling--which is to say, setting up the books in the best way to tell the story. I read WoT for enjoyment, not as an expression of idealism."

No, they could have waited until he was done writing the entire novel THEN cut it.  That way the releases would be close enough to undo any unneeded delays.  Instead, because all of the "fans" wanted their candy now, Brandon had to change the story to fit with Tor's vision.  I personally don't like Tor's vision seeing as how they are a publishing company and not an author. 

I know that Brandon and Harriet are trying to make this as close to what RJ wanted (thank you guys) but they are still being forced to change what RJ wanted.  I'm not going to endorse the behavior of Tor with my money.  I hope others do the same, although I don't expect much from most people now-a-days.  Remember folks:  If you continue to purchase whatever they put out when you don't like it, they will continue to put out thinks you don't like.

Archived