DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand and Egwene's Relationship

SirTownsend

This is random, since I'm in the middle of FoH and this happens around the third or fourth book, but it just popped in my mind today.  Ok so in the first couple of books these two were like in love, trying to protect each other and and always on their minds....then in the third or fourth book they both cut it off saying they are more like siblings....that really hit me it was so random.  There seems to be no reasoning behind it, it's like they woke up one day and the feelings were gone.  Is there reasoning??  It kinda just happened and hasn't been refered to so far as of the fifth book.  I don't want to know what happens after the fifth book, i just wanna know why it was so random.  They seemed so in love then they hit a big wall. 

A past thread talked about Rand & Egwene.

The loss of being in love with the other actually was not sudden with either of them.

Both of them met others and began to become attached to those long before they had the discussion in Shadow Rising.

I always thought that Rand and Egwene were "in love" in Eamond's Field because, well, it's a small village and they were sort of meant to be together and didn't really have that many options. And then the options presented themselves, and they realized that they didn't really love each other.

I agree with the last two posts.

They were pretty much 'betrothed' since they were kids. They 'loved' each other, well, because they had to. Look at their interactions again at the village, and in tEotW Earlier chapter, Egwene was trying to figure him out more than anything.

They didn't really know each other since Rand was always at the farm, and came to the village only sparingly.

Then, like Agitel said, they started to become different people.

Rand finds out he is going to go crazy and yet he is suddenly in the place of a King.

She found out she could channel, and woman who channel are supposed to not like male channelers.

It just happened (but not over night).

I don't think it happened quite overnight.  Each of them had been telling themselves that they couldn't be together until they finally beleived it and their feelings for eachother lessened to that of a very close brother and sister.  and the fact that she'd already fallen for gwayn and he for elayne helped too.

At the time, she was a little more for Galad, no?

I thought it wasn't until later when she resolved her feelings.

All the women loved Galad.....even Nynaeve was fantasizing about him even after she fell for Lan.  I'm pretty sure Egwene fell for Gwayn and just liked staring at Galad's ass.

i think the only conclusion we can make is that Egwene gets around *wink wink*

but other than that I agree with what everyone else says - I would find it hard to believe that after finding out Rand would either go crazy, destroy the world, fail changing the world or succeed in saving the world or die anyway - that he would not change

also, Egwene and Rand were country bumpkins who then discovered there was a whole world out there, as well as other people - so no, I don't think the end of their romance was sudden or random

Archived