DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Balefire and Rebirth

moroten

Ok I might be really confused and mixed some stuff together but Balefire got me thinking yesterday. Everyone is reborn in the pattern as somebody else, even normal people, if these souls are finite I dont know but I will assume they are.

When someone is balefired a part of their thread will be removed from the pattern, the latter part of that thread, they stop existing suddenly at one point. Now as the wheel turn and that same age begin, the age when that person was balefired. Is that person reborn since this is a new turn for the wheel? The balefire hasnt happend "yet". But when that time comes again when that person was balefire it will simply cease to exist, just as it did when it was balefired. Will the balefired thread continue as an unhealable wound in the pattern?

Most likely the answer is that the person cant be reborn since its dead and that the pattern doesnt function as the wheel, but still a curios question I thought. Any opinions?

I don't believe the Wheel waits until the same moment in the next turning of the Wheel to spin you out, either. I don't think that Tam al'Thor's soul will be reborn every end of the 'Third Age' to find the dragon on the mountain, for example. And his soul may spin out many times over the course of the Ages, or maybe few, but always during that specific Age for that specific time? No.

Luckers, do you happen to have a link to RJ's quote? I always understood balefiring as complete removal of the soul from the pattern, as in that thread is now completely gone without a chance of rebirth, if RJ's quote is true (I don't always believe what he says, sometimes he talks like an Aes Sedai), it would help me discern more about balefire.

I don't believe the Wheel waits until the same moment in the next turning of the Wheel to spin you out, either. I don't think that Tam al'Thor's soul will be reborn every end of the 'Third Age' to find the dragon on the mountain, for example. And his soul may spin out many times over the course of the Ages, or maybe few, but always during that specific Age for that specific time? No.

I agree with this. Only Ta'varen (spelling?) are spun out to do the same things Age after Age.

Not all ta'veren are spun out age after age to do the same thing; sure, some seem to be, including most of the Heroes of the Horn. However, Artur Hawkwing himself stated to Rand something along the lines that he has fought with him as many times as against. And I don't believe that ta'veren are always reborn ta'veren, especially if they aren't required to be such in that age.

Nevertheless, if a ta'veren like Rand, Mat, or Perrin were balefired, I'm sure there would be serious consequences in the pattern; any thread connected to one of theirs (which could be a city or more's worth of threads) would be affected.

Archived