DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Vanion

The Blade's End Tavern

Rooting for you!! *snugglebites for good luck*

Well, I finished the rough draft last night and sent it in.  Next step will be to combine everything, see how it looks, and then start rewriting everything--not sure how soon yet.  I've got a meeting Thursday morning.

I'm bone-weary right now, haven't been able to do much all day.  Write emails, but that's about everything.

Thanks.  It's kind of hard to realise I've written everything.  Sure, I'll be adding a lot in the next few months as I polish it, but I'm mostly done.

13 hours ago, haycraftd said:

Thanks.  It's kind of hard to realise I've written everything.  Sure, I'll be adding a lot in the next few months as I polish it, but I'm mostly done.

The “polishing” can still be quite a lot of work.

I know.  I'm still going to be fighting here at Tarwin's Gap for another year.  You all might be interested in how incapable I am to do things come March 1--I'll have sent everything in the day before, if the oral exam will be some effort to arrange.  You know how slow things can be sometimes.  Life is complicated!

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:48 AM, haycraftd said:

I know.  I'm still going to be fighting here at Tarwin's Gap for another year.  You all might be interested in how incapable I am to do things come March 1--I'll have sent everything in the day before, if the oral exam will be some effort to arrange.  You know how slow things can be sometimes.  Life is complicated!

That it is. Do you care for an icee?

Image result for icee

Edited by Ryrin

It might actually be warm enough here for an icee.

Preparing for an annual review (this one June 26) is no fun.  I'm writing a "reflective essay" reviewing all I've done over this past schoolyear and how I've "grown."  It's exhaustive listing everything.  I wrote a chapter on scientific dendrochronology (tree ring science) in the dissertation, and I actually sound like I professionally searched it out, when it was anything but carefully planned.  I found it by stumbling on a tree ring scientific chart on the Irish climate of the 780s.  I wrote the scientist who made the chart (Trinity Dublin) asking him if I could find similar charts for Europe.  Soon after, he wrote me back to ask if I wanted to "join forces" with him, because he was seeing a similar pattern with "Extreme Weather Events"/Viking raids.  I was walking in circles and hearing Jeopardy for weeks after that email, wondering whether it was time to pack up and fly to Ireland.  We all (including my supervisors--they were extremely excited) needed to talk it over a bit to clarify that "join forces" meant sharing things occasionally.  That chapter on science was anything but carefully planned.   And now I'm drily listing what I could and couldn't find with the science. 

I've also got to write a schedule for the upcoming year and improve a case study I've already written.  And so I am.  I shouldn't need the review this year, because they don't need to grant me another year of study, but administrations must administer.   My next real dance with Jak o' the Shadows is my final one next year, after I've turned it in, when the administrators decide to read through it and give me an oral exam.  And that will be the real test.  

Because of the review, I won't be able to start rewriting everything until August.  That's plenty of time, but life can be WEIRD.

Sounds like a lot of work that doesn't really contribute much to scheme of things. Such is bureaucracy.

Yes.  I don't think anyone involved likes it all that much.  In previous years I had to give a reflective paper on what I've "learned," then a paper I had written that year.  Two years ago I gave them an essay on dendrochronology, what the science doesn't tell us, and then the reflective paper I explained how I "learned" the science.  Last year I gave them a case study, (thanks again for reading 834!), then wrote about how I had learned to "synthesise" everything in structuring the case studies.  I was quite careful about all that from the beginning, if I hadn't thought out everything yet.  This year was making all my essays fit together and changing them if they needed to be.  So I've written how I've become more "skilled" in that.  

Edited by haycraftd

Well that does sound like you're actually forwarding your own skill set. It's amazing how much we learn and grow when we have to pen things like that down.