DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Vanion

The Blade's End Tavern

On 1/2/2019 at 8:28 AM, JamesBrown said:

I had some Moscato on New Year's Eve. My wife made bourbon chocolate fudge which I ate entirely too much of.

What is Moscato? and did you get drunk off of the fudge?? 😈

9 minutes ago, Wildfire Sedai said:

What is Moscato? and did you get drunk off of the fudge?? 😈

Moscato is a white wine, properly considered a dessert wine, although I don't like dry wines, so I drink it with my meal.

And had I eaten as much of the bourbon fudge as I desired, then I would probably have not been able to drive home. So I held myself down to only two small pieces.

16 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

Moscato is a white wine, properly considered a dessert wine, although I don't like dry wines, so I drink it with my meal.

We have a lot that are the same, here - they're called Muscadel and Jerepigo.

(Enters and brews some tea. Pours a cup, sweetened it with honey, and finds a cozy spot to sit by the fire.)

I have only had wine twice, so don't have much of an opinion of it. 

I need a LARGE glass of (red) wine to get ready for tomorrow.  Flying across the Atlantic starting tomorrow morning--land in Edinburgh early Wednesday morning.  Times like these I want to Travel.

Hello, Mother. Not sure exactly what it was I had, though the most recent taste was red.

(Hands over a large glass of red wine.) Hope this helps. Have a fun and safe trip. There are times when Traveling would be very much appreciated.

I love flying, though! That would  be the only downside to being able to channel ... lol

I used to love flying myself--my grandfather served in the airforce and was an airline pilot afterwards, and has always had his own small plane.  I flew with him a lot when I was a little boy and he still has one of these, a Sonex B, at age 89:

Sonex-B_4_9.jpg  

So I've always loved small aircraft and short flights can be really fun still, but frustration in busy airports (I have quite a few stories) and the many loooong flights I've had took away my love of "flying."  These past few years, it seems one of the two flights I got to take to fly to New Orleans or fly to Edinburgh always has problems that usually turn into delays.

The flight from New Orleans-Newark-Edinburgh was fairly boring, as far as it went (thanks DJ!)--the good news is that there were no delays or problems.  So now I'm settling back in.    

I love the Sonex line of aircraft. Owning my own plane is on my bucket list, and Sonex is on the short list, along with Zenith aircraft.

I don't fly yet. Getting my license is also on my bucket list. But I've been considering building airplanes as a hobby (if I can ever afford it) so I've done a lot of reading on kit planes. Sonex is one of the most reputable companies in that industry.

What did everyone get up to on Valentine's day?

I went to a Toastmaster meeting (public speaking) with quite a few of us talking about love.  In the second half of the meeting, with impromptu speaking, I gave random questions about fairy tales. What would you do with a talking mirror had someone talk about Alexa. 

I had invited an American UofE girl I had met a week ago to come see what we're like, but she didn't show up.  I wasn't too disappointed--it was Valentine's, I have no idea if she's single, and she's eleven years younger, but I do wish she had answered my invite with a "no." It was left hanging, as so many invites are these days.

Valentine's day was pretty tame, to be honest, we swapped presents at the weekend because I'm like an actual child with gifts and can't wait to give and receive them haha. 

Your meeting sounds fun, is that something that you go to regularly? 

Yes, we meet every other Thursday.  The first half of the meeting is devoted to three speeches and onstage evaluations.  We all evaluate each speech on paper right after it--where you did well and where you can improve.  Then we have three on-stage evaluations.  Then, the second half is Table Topics, where a "Table Topics Master" onstage gives out random questions and if you're called up you're supposed to give a one to two minute speech about it.  Then a Table Topics evaluator comes up and talks about each speech.  My questions this time were all very specific fairy tales Thursday because of Valentines and because no one answering was a beginner.  My questions would have been much softer had I been asking inexperienced beginners.  But it was talking mirrors and Alexa, fairy godmothers and handbags, glass slippers and Facebook profiles, and more.  It can be very weird what you can think of up there once you aren't scared anymore.  

I joined the club January 2015 and it's one of my favorite things ever now.  Everything is fun once you aren't frozen--giving a good prepared speech, giving an answer that you think of while you're talking, always improving.  You find yourself talking about things that come up out of nowhere.  And it can be highly entertaining what you think of.

Edited by haycraftd

Toastmasters is a great organization. It's a rare thing---a social club that actually teaches self-improvement. There's a chapter that meets in my office, and I considered joining, but they meet every Wednesday at the same time, and it's even money that my manager will schedule a meeting at that time, so I wouldn't be able to make a strong commitment to Toastmasters.

My Valentine's Day itself was tame--both my wife and I worked all day. We exchanged small gifts--she gave me chocolate, I gave her a picture frame (seen here.) We rarely do anything on V-day anyway since the restaurants are crowded with couples. We pick some other night to celebrate.

Tonight's the night--we had plans for dinner and a show at the local community theater. But she's not feeling well tonight. We've already eaten leftovers at home, and she's zonked on the couch, so I think I'll be going to the show by myself.

Like James, we tend to celebrate before or after due to the crowded conditions. 

We we had a class at my synagogue that night, so we exchanged gifts and had a short dinner out on the way.