DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Darkness waits for no one (closed RP)

Nynaeve

OOC: I started a sign up thread a while ago in the CotL div board - The Patrolling the streets of Amador RP. If you didn't sign up and you wish to join, PM me and I'll see if you can join up (depending on how far along the RP is. But there's no harm in asking).

IC:  

Zoe stood erect as Evelyn spoke. The night shift was lined up in front of the Fortress' entrance, awaiting instructions. Patrols were a common sight within Amador. Zoe couldn't decide which shift was more daunting. She wasn't much of a fan of darkness, which made the night shift rather unpleasant. Not to mention Zoe's great affinity to sleep. The night shift group did get leeway in their daily activities, to catch up on sleep, but she favored sleeping in the hours that were appropriate for it. On the other hand, the day shift seemed to be more tiring. The streets were usually bustling with people and getting through the route sometimes put her to sleep in mid walk. Granted, the passage was facilitated by wearing the Children of the Light uniform, but there was a limit to how quick people could clear a way.

Looking to her side, Zoe spotted a few recruits hiding a yawn, or blinking repeatedly, seemingly unsure if they were really awake or dreaming. The frown on Evenlyn's face meant she spotted one of those as well, preparing to give them all a good long tongue lashing. That woman seemed to be constantly angry. Zoe wondered where she got the energy for it. Come to think of it, Zoe was pretty confident that she never saw the woman smile. Ever. Even when things went exactly as she intended. All there was was determination, stubbornness and, for some reason, a lot of bitterness. Part of her grew curious as to why.

"This is not a class or a chore. This is your duty. Whatever path you might choose at a later time doesn't matter. This is your job at the moment and this is your contribution until you better yourself to something resembling usefulness. Patrolling is not a social event. You will be situated in a group and you are expected to remain in it and make the entirety of the route you've been given. I will be about, so think twice before you decide to disobey a direct order." She gave each and every one of them a sharp look before pulling out a paper and calling out the names of every group and handing them a map of the area they are supposed to patrol through. They tended to create different groups every time. That way they could assure every recruit's readiness to work with different sets of recruits. It also meant that one would get a different route every patrol, resulting in getting to know the city's layout better as time passed.

Some groups maintained two recruits, some three. Zoe had no idea why they made that variation, but she didn't care enough to think further on it. "Zoe, you are paired off with Edalia and Sylos." Evelyn handed her the map and went on addressing recruits. Zoe was thrilled to be with Edalia, of course, but was a bit embarrassed to be around Sylos after that night in town when she had one too many drinks. Oh well, she would have had to face him eventually anyhow. Perhaps he didn't remember. Though it was more likely that she was kidding herself.

"I expect to retrieve all of these maps at the shape they were given, come sunrise. Otherwise the coins needed to buy a new one will be reduced from your salary. Well, what are you waiting for? Get out of my sight." Zoe saluted with everyone else and turned to find her two companions to begin their round. She hoped they didn't mind the darkness as much as she did. She needed someone to keep her in check.

Zoe

CotL

• 2 months later...

Edalia waved when she spotted Zoe looking about for her and tried, somewhat unsuccessfully, to stifle a yawn at the same time. She dearly would have loved to be curled up in bed right now, but one can't have everything and if this was going to be part of her training then she was going to have to lump it.

Resisting the urge to link arms with Zoe and suggest they visit the nearest tavern - just to check for Darkfriends of course - she stood looking for Sylos amongst the recruits splitting up for their patrols.

Whilst they were waiting, Edalia turned to Zoe and spoke quietly, lest she bring the attention of Evelyn upon them.

"How are you? I haven't seen much of you since that night..." she trailed off knowing there was not much point describing which night when they both knew which one she meant.

• 1 month later...

"How are you? I haven't seen much of you since that night..." Zoe blushed furiously but hoped it wasn't so noticeable under the cover of the night. Sylos joined them, seemingly a bit groggy. Zoe nodded at him in acknowledgment and turned back to Edalia. "We should head to our starting point before Evelyn notices we're lingering. She's been looking for an excuse to send me to the Master of Irons, I just know it."

They walked silently at first until Zoe finally managed to compose herself. She walked a bit closer to Edalia, looking around as she spoke. "I've been well. And yes, it's unfortunate we haven't been able to see much of each other lately. I haven't had much time to myself. Even on our time off I find myself catching up with things that I didn't quite finish. It's tiresome. Though I know I'm preaching to the choir. We're all under the same stress."

Zoe peered back for a moment, seeing Sylos walking a bit behind, surveying every house they passed. The streets were quiet at this late hour. only the area of the Taverns would be bustling with activity but they have yet to reach it. There was something comforting and yet distressing about the quietness. It was easier to distinguish someone when it was quiet, though. It was like the world stopped for a moment and let you see what you would otherwise be ignorant of.

Zoe smiled. "We should go out into the city sometimes again. Only this time I think it better just be you and me. I don't want any witnesses to my amusing yet shameful behavior". Zoe winked at Edalia and laughed. Sylos shushed them from behind and they laughed again. He was pretty committed to the job. They all were. But sometimes you had to loosen up!

OOC: Okay, Kara, I'm going to try and get in contact with Sylos to see if he's still up for this RP but in the meanwhile we'll go on and NPC him slightly here and there. Post one more time doing the whole social thing and I'll move us on to the next phase of the RP  ^_^

Zoe

CotL

Patrolling a relatively unfamiliar town in the darkness (And with the fiendish Instructor Evelyn no doubt well prepared to analyze and tear apart their every move), Sylos was scrupulously attentive to everything around him. He suspected he wouldn't even need to draw out the patrol route to remember- at least for a while. He was unwontedly quiet, he supposed, but his only real experience with Zoe and Edalia had involved their recent drinking binge- though he supposed only Zoe had actually gotten properly drunk, leaving him somewhat uncomfortable- that, and there was something about this night that didn't feel right.

It felt, in fact, rather like the night that a very angry man had almost taken his eye out. While he got this feeling often enough to know it wasn't any supernatural sense of approaching danger, it never hurt to be a bit careful. He heard Zoe and Edalia chattering and shushed them; he could tell they thought he was being overzealous, but he wouldn't feel comfortable until he was safely in his own bed again.

• 4 months later...

Zoe relaxed her hand as she noticed her knuckles turning white from her tight grip on her torch. She always felt uneasy at night. Even when holding a torch, the shadows allowed too many hiding places, giving the sensation that she was being watched. She admitted to paranoia but she preferred to be weary rather than getting caught off guard. Alertness was a must but even when Zoe utilized the maximum of her senses she still felt at a disadvantage.

"Are you alright?", Edalia asked her in a low tone. Zoe nodded, hoping that her blushing didn't show. She had to work on concealing her emotions better. No one except her needed to know what was going through her head, otherwise you're an easy pray to any enemy. So she took a deep breath and tried to release all her concerns. This was her first patrolling duty after all and with time she will get accustomed to it.

Suddenly, Zoe heard a half muffled scream. She froze, wondering if she really heard something or if she was imagining things. "I heard it too", Edalia said, confirming her fear. It wasn't the time to fall apart, though. "Edalia, go back and find Evelyn to let her know there seems to be some sort of disturbance in this area and to please send reinforcements. Sylos and I will take a closer look." Edalia nodded and ran off. Zoe spared her a glance, half regretting not appointing herself the messenger. I can do this.

Zoe nodded at Sylos and he nodded back, reaching an unspoken understanding, as they both slipped into an alley where they thought the scream originated from. Tiny footsteps of rats were sound as one ran past them. Zoe jumped before she managed to get a hold of herself, feeling embarrassed. That feeling washed away in an instant when she noticed the grotesque scene that lay in front of her.

At first all she could see was a pool of a dark liquid. She took a few steps towards it and extended her torch holding hand as she managed to make out the form of a woman. She crouched down, trembling as she surveyed the body closely. She refused to look away. She refused to break into tears. She took all her stubbornness and all her strength into maintaining a flat expression and doing her job.

The woman's neck had been slashed. At least is was a quick death. Zoe gasped, though, when she realized that the woman had the dragon fang symbol carved on her forehead. A sack of coins was to her side, the coins spilled on the pavement. She most likely tried to offer gold for her life. Apparently that wasn't enough. "Stay alert, Sylos, the killer might still be here."

Zoe

CotL