DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Approved FL bio for Mortivin Duvene - CCd by WK

Mystica

Handle: Mortivin

Character Name: Mortivin Duvene

Character Type: Freebooter

Place of Birth/Raising: Mayene

Physical Description:  5’11” 165lbs.  Gray/blue eyes, black hair shaved to stubble except for about a 1.5 inch wide close cut strip down the middle of his head leading to a long rat tail in the back capped sometimes with an ornament of some sort.

Strengths/Weaknesses:  Amateur thief, but fairly deft-handed.  Superb runner.  Not so great with weapons as his timid nature leads him to avoid confrontation.  Always ready to bolt, he never goes anywhere without knowing at least three exits which has led him to be fairly alert and aware of his surroundings.  He’s had a tough childhood and his social skills are awkward at best.  Sensitive and lacking courage, when a fight breaks out… he left yesterday.

Character History:

Since the age of six, Mortivin grew up an orphan.  While on a fishing trip off the coast of Mayene, a storm struck and destroyed the vessel.  To his knowledge, only he found his way to shore.  A small local street gang nursed him to health and offered him a home.  Having no siblings or knowledge of any other family, and of course being the young age of six, Mortivin accepted his new life with the gang’s leader Gobran Duvene.

Gobran was almost as big as he was tall.  Gruff and mean, once and orphan child himself, he found and raised kids who happened upon misfortune, teaching them how to steal and live in the alleys.  He fed them, gave them shelter, guidance and a family.  He called them Gobran’s Brothers, though they were more his children than anything else.  They learned to be quick witted and Gobran oversaw them with a stern hand.

Mortivin was different though.  Younger than most of the boys he found, the shipwrecked kid didn’t speak for two years despite Gobran’s harsh hand.  He’d run away after beatings, hiding in the streets or sewers for days, only to sneak back into the band’s house shortly after.  Gobran would wake one morning and find Mortivin in his bed, bruised and dirty.

One evening just before punishing him for stealing not one copper penny in an entire day, Gobran lowered his hand and looked away from the boy.  “Bloody boy” he said.  “What do I do with yer snot face.”  And then the boy spoke his first words in two years. “The others call you papa” Mortivin whispered.  “Are you my papa too?” Mortivin asked.

Gobran just stared at him, surprised he spoke and also feeling… well, something more for the eight year old boy. “Well sure I am, Mort.”  Gobran choked after a moment.  He pulled the kid in close and wrapped his thick arms around him.  “Of course I am, kid, of course I am.”

The other kids resented him as he grew older.  Gobran kept him off the streets.  “He’s too sensitive right now.” The street-tough would tell the others.  But they knew Gobran adored the runt.  Oh he was taught to lift coins from pockets and snatch bread from street vendors, but Mortivin was a timid boy.  Shy and reserved, picked on and bullied, he quickly learned to be fast of foot.  Never too sharp with a blade or strong of arm, Mortivin kept to himself and learned to hide.

Mortivin was 19 when Zeke Duvene, one of his thieving brothers, acted on his hatred for Gobran and Mortivin’s relationship. He poisoned Gobran with ambitious hopes of taking his place and usurping command of Gobran’s Brothers, as they were called. Poor Mort knew only how to run, but it saved his life not for the first time.

An orphan again, Mortivin Duvene lived on the streets alone, honing his skills at eluding capture out of necessity.  He hid among the streets for three years before he raised the courage to confront Zeke, his step-father’s murderer…

(this is where I'd like to begin his RP with others.  My goal is to get him out of Mayene, and since I have a terrible memory for lore and culture details, I thought entering mainland for the first time would allow the character to ask lots of questions about the various cities, cultures, and peoples during his travels)