DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Football - Champions League

Majsju

Well, now that the draw for the first knock-out phase has been made, time to start to really pay attention to the finest of all cups.

Looking at the draw, starting to wonder if it is rigged, to maximise the interest...

United - Milan, A certain Beckham returns to Old Trafford for the first time since leaving United.

Real Madrid - Lyon. Karim Benzema gets to face his old club.

Bayern München - Fiorentina. Luca Toni returns home. For the gamblers, this is the game you will want to keep tabs on for most goals, two teams who does not know any other style than Full speed forward.

Internazionale - Chelsea. Mourinho returns to London.

The other four does not have any of these, but none of them have the same opportunities for a "great return".

Barcelona - Stuttgart. Well, Barcelona did get one of those "great returns" in the group, against Internazionale, with Eto'O - Ibrahimovic.

Porto - Arsenal.

Bordeaux - Olympiakos.

CSKA Moscow - Sevilla.

So, how will it end?

United - Milan. First leg is in february, so United should have some of the injured players back, at least enough to field a real defence. Bad news for Milan, a team far from what they used to be. United goes through.

Real Madrid - Lyon. Should be entertaing games. Should be Real that goes through, though Lyon is not a bad team.

Bayern München - Fiorentina. Depends a lot on a single player - Ribery. Without him, Bayern lacks a lot in creativity. I toss a coin, and say that Fiorentina will go through.

Internazionale - Chelsea. Sorry Mourinho, but you will not get your revenge on the Russian mobster. Inter has used the Ibrahimovic money to improve the midfield, but not enough.

Barcelona - Stuttgart. Ok, Barcelona has not quite clicked so far, especially Messi is lacking in form. Does not matter, Stuttgart is simply not strong enough.

Porto - Arsenal. Porto has improved quite a bit over the last two seasons. Still, to knock out Arsenal they need two perfect games, and I do not think that will happen.

CSKA Moscow - Sevilla. Eh, 50/50. Both are good teams, a small advantage for Sevilla, but form of the day will decide.

Bordeax - Olympiakos. Considering recent form, Bordeaux should fix this.

Disclaimer: I am not quite so cynical that I actually believe the draw was rigged, even if it does look like some remarkable coincidences.

I beleive they have that down for 2012 :P

It's a scary fact that a weak Barca are still better than 90% of other top tier teams.

Inter v Chelsea will be a -cracking- few games. I really see this as pick of the round. United v Milan I just see being a bit dour and prodding.

2012, that would be the Olympics, a radically different tournament, and Wales only gets to participate because they are allowed to send a UK team.

Inter - Chelsea will be an immense bore. I think the press conference duels between Mourinho and Ancelotti will be a lot more entertaining than the actual games, those guys really do not like eachother ;D

If you want attacking football, and a lot of goals, by pick would be either Real - Lyon or Bayern - Fiorentina. Four teams who believes in full speed forward, all of them with shaky defences.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Phew! What a game in Milano...After an early goal by Ronaldhino, United fought their way back into the game, looking to get an easy win after goals by Scholesy (1) and Rooney (2). Then Milan started to fight desperatly the last 10 minutes, but despite Seedorfs goal, and Carrick sent off for kicking away the ball ( ::)), United got away with a 3-2 win. Victory and 3 goals away, can not look much better when going into the rematch at Old Trafford.

In France, Lyon claimed a 1-0 victory over Real Madrid. Well done, but it is still wide open for the rematch in Spain.

Bayern - Fiorentina was a decent game. Not as good as I had hoped for, much because Violas form has been headed downwards after christmas.

First time I saw Robben play for Bayern, and he is quite a different player from his miserable time in Madrid. But still, 2-1 victory at home for Bayern means this is in no way decided yet.

Same result in Porto, and I think Porto suffer more from conceeding a goal than Bayern. The tie is of course still alive, but it will be tough for Porto to get a result in London.

• 3 weeks later...

So, the second leg of Bayern - Fiorentina was a great deal more entertaining than the first. Viola went a head with 2-0, before Bayern woke up and scored twice within 10 minues. Did not help that Fiorentina got a 3rd goal, 4-4 aggregate means Bayern advances on more away goals.

Porto must have sent their reserves team to London, where they got firmly trashed by Arsenal, 5-0. A hat trick by Bendtner is about as likely as Mascerano playing 90 minutes without fouling anyone.

6-2 aggregate for Arsenal.

Now to charge the batteries for tomorrow, which sees United take on Milan at Old Trafford. Will also keep an eye on Bernabeu, where Lyon pays Real Madrid a visit.

It is possible, but I am not sure how likely it is, I have not heard these rumours from any credible sources. If 10000 people stands outside 10 minutes into the game, most of them will miss the entire 1st half.

What I do know is that the supporter groups in charge of coming early to hang flags and stuff have urged as many fans as possible to come at least one hour early, so they are up to something.

Just smuggle in a bloody sniper rifle, and get rid of the Glazers that way.  ;D

Ah, feeling good after last night ;D

Not the best of performances, but still ripping Milan to shreds with 4-0. Most interesting was the fans though. A massive display of green&gold, and anti-glazer chants rolling around Old Trafford the entire game. Only interrupted when Beckham came on, and all of Old Trafford stood up to welcome him home.

7-2 aggregate, and Italian football really is not what it used to be. Pretty sure this means Italy loses one CL spot to Germany.

More good news, from Madrid. Lyon managed to get 1-1 against FC Franco, which means Madrid yet again is eliminated in the 1/16. Wonder if Ronaldo feels he made the right decision to move ;D

2-1 aggregate for Lyon.

Probably the welcome being over, and the stands starting to rmember that Beckham was in fact playing for Milan.

Of course, the United supporters cheered him in later when he got that cracking volley, because they wanted him to get a goal for his return. Buut by then, the game was over, so that was a bit different.

Well, how about that...Mou showed Chelski that he is still The special one, and kicked his former club out of CL, after a suspected offside goal by Eto'o, and Drogba getting himself sent off.

Mourinho kept his promise, and did not celebrate (much) when Inter scored, but it must have felt amazingly good, knocking out the club that fired him, now coached by Ancelotti who is not exactly Mourinho favourite...There will be a lot of chatter from London about that situation that could have given Chelski a penalty though.

Inter advances with 3-1 aggregate.

Meanwhile, in Spain CSKA pulled a surprise 2-1 win, and advances with 3-2 aggregate.

Inter was in a different league tonight. It can be argued that Chelsea maybe should have had a penalty or two, but we can't blame this loss on the ref. Chelsea just didn't play well enough. Hopefully this will mean a strengthened effort in the PL and FA-cup.

Alright, the final draws are done.

Quarter finals: (My winners in bold)

Lyon - Bordeaux

Bayern München - Manchester United

Arsenal - Barcelona

Inter Milan - CSKA Moscow

Semi finals;

Winner 1 - Winner 2

Winner 3 - Winner 4

Chances are good we will get a reprise of last years final, United - Barcelona.

Archived