DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

All time favourites

Ashaman DeRouge

Seeing a lot of discussion of new and upcoming games, but what are some of your awesome all time favourite games that you can play and play and never get bored?

I have a few. On the PC:

Deus Ex - Amazingly immersive FPSRPG. I remember playing this on a 12 inch monitor back in the day until 3am morning after morning, sneaking around and just loving it. Such a good game, both story and gameplay, and the graphics were pretty advanced for its time too.

Diablo 2 - Mindless gore-churning grind, and done better that anything released since. The atmospheric music, the graphical detail which still passes inspection today, and the frantic mouse-destroying combat combine to make a game that rates insanely high on the replayability charts.

Truck Dismount, Total Annihilation, and Mechwarrior 2 all receive hon. mentions too.

On the xbox 360 I'm going to go with all the Halo games. Revolutionised the console FPS, and was the first after Goldeneye on the N64 to do it at all well. Coupled with the soundtrack to end all soundtracks, a compelling narritive, and endless replayability (nothing like the feeling of a covenant drop ship swooping in an unloading, and all hell issuing forth...)

Also Fifa, especially the later couple, 10 09 and 08 to a lesser extent. Special mention to the soundtrack crew on these games, they dig up the most obscure underground alternative artists and put them on the world stage. Umdomskulen, Jupiter One, and a few big name hip hop artists also.

Oh and if I ever get tired of playing lego-anything-, shoot me.

PC wise:  I will have to say Knights of the Old Republic.  I thought BioWare made one heck of a game. 

Console:  it really depends on the console.  I am a big fan of the Halo series games, but at the same time I love the classics like Dr Mario, ChronoTrigger, etc

PC:  All-time favorite for the PC would be Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds.  Other honorable mentions would be: Diablo 2, Star Wars X-Wing, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter.

Playstation:  All-time favorite would be Jedi Power Battles.  Other honorable mentions: Crash Bandicoot Team Racing, Medal of Honor, Mario Tennis

Nintendo 64:  All-Time favorite Super Smash Brothers.  Other honorable mentions: Star Fox,  Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron

Playstation2: All-Time favorite Jak & Daxter Series.  Other honorable mentions: GoldenEye, Star Wars Battlefront, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Ratchet & Clank series, God of War

Xbox 360: All-Time favorite Halo series.  Other mentions: Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed 2, Fallout 3

Nintendo: Alpha Mission, Excite bike, Legend of Zelda, Castlevania

Super Nintendo: F-Zero

Playstation: Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy 7 and 9, Chrono Cross

Nintendo 64: Gauntlet Legends, Pokemon Stadium (It was awesome--I regret NOTHING!)

Playstation 2: Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII

PC: Civilization (that's right folks, I still play the original!), Empire Earth, Age of Empires 2, Neverwinter Nights, Medieval Total War

I never knew how to play goldeneye until someone moved my finger from the dpad to the stick... Now I take down covenant with extreme prejudice and accuracy.

Civilisation kicks ass. I'm currently playing C-evo which is a prettier version of the original, all freeware. Don't know how legal it is though now that I think about it...

I always loved Pokemon blue/red. And the next one. Me and my friend would sit on his computer and run them side by side via an emulator, best way to play -ever-.

Shadows of the empire! X-wing vs Tie fighter! HOW could I forget these games???

• 3 weeks later...

okay, i grew up as a gamer ...  so my list is long

atari - Frogger

PC - Doom (others: x-files, frogger, treasure mountain)

NES - Dream Master: Little Nemo  (others: Galaga, SMB 3, Gilligan's Island, Rad Racer, Yoshi)

Game Boy - Pokemon Blue (others: F-1 Racer, Tetris)

Super NES - F-Zero (others: DK Country 2, Star Fox, Mario Cart)

Sega Genisis - Sonic & Tails (others: Ecco, Lion King, Aladdin, Battle Toads, Cool Spot)

N64 - Star Wars: Racer (others: Mario 64, Smash Bros)

GBA - Zelda

PS - .Hack// Series

PS 2 - .Hack//G.U. Series

DS - new Super Mario Bros

PS 3 - God of War Series  (others: Star Wars-FUL, Sacred 2)

360 - Guitar Hero series (others: Fable 2, Lost Planet)

Wii - new Super Mario Bros (others: Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros Brawl)

Archived