DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Stedding - A Question

kennedy798

We all know that stedding don't allow the TS to be touched or channled, not even sensed. What is confusing me is that in The Great Hunt, when Rand & Co. go to Stedding Tsofu they bring out 'Trayal' to show the group what happens if Machin Shin gets them. The bit i'm confused about is this.

"Trayal was one of the last among us to go along the Ways," Alar said softly. "He came out as you see him. Will you touch him, Verin?"

Verin gave her a long look, then rose and strode to Trayal. He did not move as she laid her hands on his wide chest, not even a flicker of an eye to acknowledge her touch. With a sharp hiss, she jreked back, staring up at him, then whirled to face the Elders. "He is empty. This body lives, but there is nothing inside it. Nothing." [Chapter 36, Among the Elders]

Now if Verin can't channel, then why must she touch him and not one of the others. And why does she say there is nothing inside it. Nothing. To me it appears that she delved him, but that is impossible. Could this just be a mistake or am i missing something?

When someone loses their soul they feel cold to the touch in a very distinct way. It does not require channeling to feel--anyone can feel it. We learn this in WH when Perrin's soul is away from his body so long when hunting Faile in TAR. Annoura shows Berelain how to feel it.

I recall some site addressing this, but I do not remember the exact reply.

Some speculated that Verin had a Well (which allows channeling in steddings).  I remember that the site told that Verin did not have a Well.

I think the reply was something like it could be detected without channeling.

Edit:: Here is what Encyclopaedia says:

Verin apparently Delves Trayal, yet in a stedding she cannot touch the True Source. At signings, Jordan purportedly said that detecting a soul does not require channeling.

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/books/tgh/ch36.html

No. It is a simple tactile experience. Verin does not channel.

"[Annoura] seemed afraid you might die even after she Healed you. You slept like a man already dead. She said you almost felt like someone who had lost his soul, cold no matter how many blankets were piled on you. I felt it, as well, when I touched you."

[WH: 5, Flags]

Archived