DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

angreal, sa'angreal & ter'angreal: Forsaken arrogance?

Impressive Bosom

I know there are a few - a VERY few - examples of Forsaken using *greal, but by and large it seems to me that they are woefully underutilized by the Forsaken in general. The Dragon Reborn carries around everything from the 'fat little man with the sword' to the Choeden Kal. Ruidean and the White Tower and the Stone of Tear and any number of other places the Forsaken had access to either directly or through agents held enormous stores of such objects, objects which they would know the purpose and use of far better than anyone else...

Is it a mark of Forsaken arrogance that they aren't ALL at least carrying around a personal angreal by now, or is it just a plot device to make them more beatable?

And where would the forsaken get their angreals? The two greatest collections, in the WT and in Tear, are both warded and guarded. Mesaana who is hiding in the WT makes a comment that she herself can not get into the WT collection. The same conversation hints at Demandred having tried to get to the Tear stash, but failed.

After those two, the only collections we know of are Rhuidean and Ebou Dar. Moiraine, and later Rand secured the one from Rhuidean, Elayne and the gang secured the one in Ebou Dar, a collection we know some forsaken took a great interest in.

After that, not much left to hope for, unless they get lucky like Graendal, and get their hands on one stashed away in a stasis box.

And where would the forsaken get their angreals? The two greatest collections, in the WT and in Tear, are both warded and guarded. Mesaana who is hiding in the WT makes a comment that she herself can not get into the WT collection. The same conversation hints at Demandred having tried to get to the Tear stash, but failed.

After those two, the only collections we know of are Rhuidean and Ebou Dar. Moiraine, and later Rand secured the one from Rhuidean, Elayne and the gang secured the one in Ebou Dar, a collection we know some forsaken took a great interest in.

After that, not much left to hope for, unless they get lucky like Graendal, and get their hands on one stashed away in a stasis box.

I believe that difficulty is overstated.

Skirting the spoiler rules a tiny, tiny bit... consider the certain *greal in the most recent book which only took a single threat to procure. The Chosen have a great, great many agents far and wide and knowledge and capabilities far beyond that of 'mere' modern-day Aes Sedai. I can't believe it would be nearly as difficult as suggested.

What about Be'lal in the Stone.

He was after Callandor, which he thought would be easy to obtain once Rand touched it. Also, I'm guessing many of the wardings were done with saidar.

Throughout the series the Forsaken make comments about being frustrated over not obtaining any angreal or sa'angreal. Lanfear did have her bracelet, though.

What about Be'lal in the Stone.

He was after Callandor, which he thought would be easy to obtain once Rand touched it. Also, I'm guessing many of the wardings were done with saidar.

Throughout the series the Forsaken make comments about being frustrated over not obtaining any angreal or sa'angreal. Lanfear did have her bracelet, though.

Thats fine that he was after callandor, but if there were numerous Acess keys to the ChodenKal wouldnt he at least glance over the items in the stone. Also the Finn door is there which could have helped.

What wardings do u mean the ones on Callandor?

And Lanfear gets her bracelt for all of about twenty minutes before she gets pushed into Finnland

Guest Emu on the Loose

I remember Osan'gar being very excited at the prospect of getting an angreal. I think that was right before he got killed again. =)

And if I remember correctly, he wasn't aware of the Chosen having any other angreals.

I'm kind of disappointed that the mighty and dreaded Forsaken couldn't even lay their hands on an angreal or two. You'd think Ishamael would have FedEx'ed a few up to the Blight during his various manifestations in the world. And I still remember how terrified Moiraine was when she found out that Sammael was ruling in Illian. Come on...if the Forsaken are so terrifying, they could at least get themselves a couple of angreals. What a gallery of schlemazels!

i Can understand Ishy not gettin Angreal's for a few thousand years he was uncontesteded in power, thus not needing one. Also its was commented  by a few of the forsaken that he was near madness in the first 3 books, thinking he was the Dark One himself or some such.

I think They are lookin for Angreals and such but its made harded by the fact that at this age most have been snatched up and stored in various place that are guarded and warded.  Also sending Darkfriend to search after them would be diffucult because they would have to know exactly what they look like since they can't channel.  And sendind Black Ajah is basically out the question cause they might just keep it to themselves.  The Forsaken are to worried about plots and being Taken out by Rand or another forsaken to not be wanting any of them.  But they also don't wanna leave the safetly of wherever the have taken up to look for them theirselves.

I think it's been made pretty clear that the Forsaken aren't that arrogant - there were repeated references earlier in the books to attempts to locate angreal.

Keep in mind that they were all unexpectedly locked up for 3000 some years, come back to a radically changed world, and have a haystack the size of a planet to search through. Their agents know doodly except what the Forsaken choose to tell them, which can't be much - a Black Sister for example, who recognizes an angreal and what it does immediately becomes a threat. More mundane DFs have to figure it out by guesswork and piecemeal descriptions alone.

I suspect Ishamael has a stash, suggested by his convenient 'collection' of Cor'Souvras that can mindtrap Forsaken, when others are fumbling about still looking for goodies.

Archived