DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tar Valon Map, an Anatomy Lesson?

Leatherleaf

Hey all, I noticed this a while back, and there is a good chance that it is coincidental, and maybe it's because I'm an art student that I see more into this than I should, but doesn't the Island of Tar Valon and its surrounding landscape greatly resemble female genitalia?

Now before you excuse this idea as craziness, I think it makes sense symbolically to have an city ruled by the greatest world power - the White Tower - made up entirely of women that reside on an Island resembling a vagina? In a sense, it is the ultimate symbol of female power. And indeed, the world bends knee to Tar Valon...

Thoughts?

Yeah, but it's a White TOWER. Phallic much? Besides, it's described as having two conciliatory buildings much smaller and lower in height. I'm not going to spell it out, but the image is pretty hilarious. I suppose I could say something about how the island needs the tower to be complete....

whittow2.jpg

Intentional or not (although I agree, RJ has a history of intentional little bits throughout the series), I still think its great! Personally, I believe author intent is separate from the effect of the work in all literature; yes, RJ has huge sway over his universe, but the work itself is separate from the author... but that discussion could go on forever.

And Zidel, nice bit with the White Tower! However, I suppose that because the Island has never been "penetrated" by an army, I suppose it's still a virgin? I suppose this statement is somewhat false, but I think this is a spoiler-free zone isn't it?

• 9 years later...

Tar Valon is just yet another example of writers/geographers/etc people who do this going all

insane and weird over unusual geography like sounds, inlets, islands with a rock in the middle in a river etc....

Out of all the things on the map it's the only thing that caught my attentionf or being strange... but not for this

reason....

Like if you try and read a description of Seattle and the surrounding areas it's like 4000000000000000 pages

of people just flittering about because it's so unique, it's an odd phenomenon I've found.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/14/2009 at 3:09 PM, Zidel333 said:

Yeah, but it's a White TOWER. Phallic much? Besides, it's described as having two conciliatory buildings much smaller and lower in height. I'm not going to spell it out, but the image is pretty hilarious. I suppose I could say something about how the island needs the tower to be complete....

whittow2.jpg

Or maybe the white tower is the nerve center of Tar Valon... Sound like something else?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Community Administrator
On 12/24/2019 at 2:38 PM, False_Dragon said:

Or maybe the white tower is the nerve center of Tar Valon... Sound like something else?

Look at the city in 3 dimensions.

Also: Black Tower.
I' can't help but think about Cards Against Humanities hidden card.

Edited by SinisterDeath